Linux Server Migration

jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
OK, I just got a side job to migrate three existing junky, slow servers in one brand new HP DL140 G3 Server. The existing servers have Linux (Fedora) on them. I don't really know much about Linux so I will be learning on the fly. What OS do you think is best suited to learn on the fly and still be able to handle the services that I need to install and configure?

I am thinking about either Fedora or Ubuntu.

Services are DNS, DHCP, HTTP, SSH, Kerberos, SSL, Apache, FTP, VPN, MySQL and other misc. programs. The big things are Website, MySQL database, FTP and VPN.

I am leaning towards Ubuntu. Any thoughts. The clients will run XP or 2000.

Thanks.
GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think you are brave to take on a project like that without knowing Linux at least comfortably well. Apache, MySQL and the VPN can be difficult to configure, especially if you are migrating to a different distribution. Even something as simple as FTP can be a headache to set up if they have something other than a default, plain-jane config. I think Fedora now uses VSFTP by default and it used to use WSFTP - but not positive on that.

Anyway, good luck. :)
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    Yes, Fedora uses VSFTP.

I will keep you updated on the progress if you like.

Thanks for the good wishes. I will be working on it all weekend all.

Thanks!
    Yes, I'd love to hear how it goes! icon_thumright.gif
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hello,

if you want to try windows-like control panel - you should try SuSE.
    i did - and makes my job a little bit easy - even it also has little bugs here and there in terms of converting control panel apps to text-based config.

but - i think you should try it.

cheers.
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
    Thanks - I will d/l SUSE and give it a shot tosee how I like it.
  • borumasborumas Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you want something really easy then take a look at Clarkconnect, it isn't free though for office use but it is a very easy to setup and configure Linux based OS. I've been using their home version (it's free and supports 5 users) for my home cablerouter/gateway/dhcp/samba server/firewall/apache web server/etc... for about 3 years and I've only had it flake out once due to a hardware issue.
    I never heard of that - where can i find that program..........
  • Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ubuntu 6.06 "LTS" (= Long Term Support) Server install is being supported for 3 years per Ubuntu. But don't expect a GUI with the Server version as it's default install is CLI only. If you require a GUI then simply install gnome and off you go.

Personally I prefer Ubuntu over Fedora.... but at the same time I have spent more time with Ubuntu than any other distro.

Good Luck.
  • borumasborumas Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jescab wrote:
    I never heard of that - where can i find that program..........
    http://www.clarkconnect.com/ That's the main page, it might be more expensive than you want to spend, but it is very easy as you load it and then you set it up through a webpage on a client machine.
    They also offer support for 5 years per distro they release according to their site.
  • thesemantheseman Member Posts: 230
    I think Ubuntu is great, IMO it will be the first distro to really become mainstream. SUSE is a great choice as well. Either way, a word of advice: If you get lost working with the CLI and text files, try downloading webmin. (www.webmin.com). Its a web-based GUI admin tool that can make life quite a bit easier.
    Update - the install and configuration is going as planned with a few hick-ups. DNS will not start automatically when the server is rebooted. I made my own inside.xxxx-xxxxx.com DNS lookup. Everything works fine but when the server was rebooted DNS did not start automatically. DHCP seems to work fine. I am doing all this stand alone and making sure it works before I turn off the old servers and go live. I did a **** of their database and copied that over and everything look sok with that. The PHP scripts to make the forms look good to go.

WOW - there is a lot of typing and programming on the Linux side. I am used to a GUI Wizard to walk me through an dit does all the work behind the scenes for me.

I wish www.webmin.com supported Fedora so I could use the web-based interface to do most of this stuff.

Thanks for the support and linkd guys.

Next in line to do is.
    Samba
    Roaming Profiles
    Log-in accounts
    Squid
    Firewall
    FTP
    VPN
  • remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    You might want to try CentOS. Its based off of Red Hat Enterprise Edition but its free.
    Try to use the chkconfig command to configure BIND to start at boot on RH/Fedora:

chkconfig named on

I think you can use the sysv-rc-conf command to configure BIND to start at boot on a Debian/Ubuntu distro:

sysv-rc-conf bind on
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Personally, I'd recommend sticking with a widely-used distro, along the lines of SuSE or Red Hat. Fedora is an excellent choice for what you need, and the GUI tends to make it easier on newcomers to absorb how it all works on Linux. SuSE is the same way, with a lot of things that can be done through the Windows-like managers. There are lots and lots of choices for OS'es out there, and you'll hear all kinds of reasons for each, why you should choose it. If you're new to the Linux/Unix world, stick with the versions that attempt to be "easy". (One thing worth noting, both Red Hat and SuSE/Novell have made great efforts to interface with Windows. Each, for example, features a Terminal Services client, and tend to come with software that plays nice with Windows networking.)

Also, in my personal opinion, you shouldn't have to pay for the software for a setup like this. especially if you're only first learning how it all works. Only if you're looking for support from the vendor on their proprietary software, should you ever lay down money on GNU/Linux software. With whatever OS you choose, I'd advise you to start out with a distro you don't have to pay money to license, there's really no need for it. The different components, such as BIND, MySQL, and Apache, have their own support and documentation.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    I decided to go with Ubuntu. The migration is proceeding. I had a few road bumps I had to go over but I am getting there.

I will install the webmin web-interface application to use. I just don't like being logged in as "ROOT" all the time to have thi sapplication run.
    Well - What a weekend and Tuesday I had. BUT - I got the Linux server up and running basically. I had to go with CenTos as the OS. because Ubuntu would not recognize the video card. I called HP support and they said HP only receognizes Red Hat and SuSE Linux.

The roaming profiles do not work correctly. (Headache)
    I have Samba, FTP, HTTP, DNS, DHCP, MySQL, CUPS (printing), Squid and other applications installed, configured and running correctly. I think - LOL LMAO

Any help with the roaming profiles would be greatly appreciated. The other day I started another thread for Roaming Profiles.

Thanks & Regards!
    Cool - thanks!
    I got the Roaming Profiles to work correctly.

No wth eonly problem I have with them are some of the profiles are HUGH. It looks like their Outlook Express pst files are causing the HUGH profiles. I will look into moving the pst to a share on the server.

Does anyone know a way around the large pst files?