Options

QOS rate limiting

james43026james43026 Member Posts: 303 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

From what I understand. Rate limiting with both the shape and police command will both rate limit even with no congestion. I know that Cisco does state that this is a fact for the police command. But does this hold true for the shape command as well? I plan on labbing this up in a few days. But was hoping maybe someone could shed some light on this, so I know what to expect.

[h=2]Using police Command to Set a Maximum[/h]If a bandwidth or priority class should not exceed its allocated bandwidth during periods of no congestion, you can combine the priority command with the police command. This configuration imposes a maximum rate that is always active on the class. Choosing to configure a police statement in this configuration depends on the policy's objective.

Comments

• Options
    negru_tudornegru_tudor Member Posts: 473 ■■■□□□□□□□
    james43026 wrote: »
    Hello all,

From what I understand. Rate limiting with both the shape and police command will both rate limit even with no congestion. I know that Cisco does state that this is a fact for the police command. But does this hold true for the shape command as well? I plan on labbing this up in a few days. But was hoping maybe someone could shed some light on this, so I know what to expect.

Using police Command to Set a Maximum

If a bandwidth or priority class should not exceed its allocated bandwidth during periods of no congestion, you can combine the priority command with the police command. This configuration imposes a maximum rate that is always active on the class. Choosing to configure a police statement in this configuration depends on the policy's objective.

IIRC policing would start dropping traffic as soon as the threshold is reached. Shaping on the other hand would buffer traffic up to meet that threshold.
    2017-2018 goals:
    [X] CIPTV2 300-075
    [ ] SIP School SSCA
    [X] CCNP Switch 300-115 [X] CCNP Route 300-101 [X] CCNP Tshoot 300-135
    [ ] LPIC1-101 [ ] LPIC1-102 (wishful thinking)