Passed GCIH

thunderbullthunderbull Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys, long time lurker here, figured I would give back to the community by writing down my experience with passing the exam. Company paid for a Simulcast of the SANSFIRE 2016 session in June - I thought it was interesting but to be honest, did not pay very close attention to the material. Been in InfoSec for a couple of years now and consider myself mid to senior level analyst. It took me a awhile before I finished my index, I created the document in Excel in June but it took me until mid August (laziness, work, etc.) before I indexed all 5 books. My index was broken up into 5 sections: Linux Commands, Windows Commands, Tools, Attacks, and Misc, and totaled 338 entries. I took my first practice exam with my index as it stood and got a 75%. After getting a feel of what gaps I had, I went back and added more to my index and took the second practice exam and got a 79%. After the second exam I saw where I had the most gaps and reread sections of the book for those gaps. For both exams I finished in 2 hours. I took into the exam all six books (which were sticky noted for sections that showed up a lot in the practice exam and I also wrote the table of contents on the front of the book to more quickly find things) the SANS **** sheets, and the Red Team Field Manual (which surprisingly helped). I finished the exam in 2 and a half hours and got a 90%. I think I looked up about 3/4 of the questions and was somewhat stuck on maybe 5 or so question. I noticed there were clusters of questions around the same subjects - so if you don't get it right the first time you see it, you will miss a handful of them. I didn't use my index as much as I thought I would, but it was quite helpful so I suggest not skimping on making yours if you are challenging the exam. Hope this helps someone!

Comments

• TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congratulations, and nice score too.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats on the pass!
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • g33k3rg33k3r Member Posts: 249 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats on the pass and great score!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • quogue66quogue66 Member Posts: 193 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats...and welcome to the GIAC advisory board (if you're not already a member).
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats!
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • BillHooBillHoo Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!

Now you can go out drinkin'!
  • devguttsdevgutts Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi dude,

I am planning to take the exam this week. Is it possible to share the index..

Regards,
    Dev