70-417 Done Finally

luckyneoluckyneo Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
So finally upgraded my 2008 certs to 2012 only taken about three years to sit the exam, I had been meaning to do this for ages but the time and effort for these update exams is a killer. Luckily I have had some quiet time at work recently and so decided to take advantage and update my certs, kind of got the taste for it again after a couple of years off lol..... work, life etc getting in the way.

I scraped this exam having purchased the multi shot bundle I took the exam earlier than I would have done as I wasn't sure that I was ready, anyway talk about skin of teeth: -

1st Section score - 700 on the button icon_smile.gif I got 800+ in the 2nd and 3rd sections

Anyway just some info hopefully not breaking NDA but someone might find it useful.

Study Materials: -

CBT Nuggets 2012R2
Microsoft press book 70-417R2 version (purchased the original version never read it so had to get the R2 version Arghhh)
VMware labs
About (50 - 75 hours study time I would guess)

The upgrade exam is almost exclusively on new techs (No surprise I guess if you have sat the upgrade exams before) so you need to know things like IPAM, RMS, Hyper-V (new features) well

There was also a fair amount of GPO based questions in my exam around things like security filtering, WMI, link order etc...

If your sitting this exam then I guess you are already certified and would now most of this but may help someone icon_smile.gif

So now I'm back in to doing certs sort of... I thought I would finally give the Citrix Exams a go as I spend most of my time deploying and supporting it these days although I am thinking maybe MCSE private cloud as well or who knows maybe a 2016 upgrade exam icon_smile.gif

Good luck to all this is a beast of an exam

Comments

• PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Awesome job on the pass! I just recently completed the CCNA Security exam, so I am right now studying for this upgrade exam. Thank you for the study tips. As an IT instructor, I have access to a lot of study materials. I have the Microsoft Press books for the 70-417, but also the 410, 411, and 412. If I decide on torturing myself, I may try for MCSE Server Infrastructure with 70-413 and 70-414, but not sure yet.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations and thanks for the info!
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
  • mandy7777mandy7777 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the Tips
    When life gives you lemons, make lemonade:thumbup:
  • LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    Congrats - thanks for the tips. I hope to sit this exam in the fall.
  • Dinesh90Dinesh90 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    well done, congrats
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
  • motheomotheo Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This is the exact information i need to prepare for this exam.
    Thumbs up on sharing this information!!

I am loving this forum more....
  • PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The way I've heard the exam is structured, you take the 3 "sections" sequentially. 410, then 411, then 412. You could get any number of questions from each section. Once you pass one section, you can't go back. As far as the scoring, you have to pass them all. So, if the cut score is 700, and you get 800, 750, then 690, too bad. Although, that's only what I've heard. I was studying for this for a while, but had to stop due to employment issues.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • roninkaironinkai Member Posts: 307 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm looking to take this one as part of my upgrade path from Windows 7 MCSA all the way to Windows 2016 MCSE. Luckily all I need are this test and 1 more to get to the newest MCSE. But I'm looking for good reading materials. I have the CBT nuggets 70-417 videos. But I keep running into the Sybex book at 1200+ pages (yuck), and a few others. Any thoughts on whats the best material to pass this?
    浪人 MSISA:WGU
    ICP-FDO ▪ CISSP ▪ ECES ▪ CHFI ▪ CNDA ▪ CEH ▪ MCSA/MCITP ▪ MCTS ▪ S+
    2020 Level Up Goals: (1) DevSecOps Learning Path (2) OSCP