CASP failed - 8-26-16

No_NerdNo_Nerd Banned Posts: 168
Failed CASP today after a very intense 2 months of studying

I used the following
CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner (CASP) CAS-002 Cert Guide

By: Robin Abernathy

Read book 2x and worked though the questions .

Perhaps I need to find a boot camp somewhere and fly and get some training. I need the cert in 90 days or I get the ax at work.

Going to try again in two to three weeks.

I keep telling myself that it is only one cert and it shouldn't be that big of an issue.

Self prep talk went as follows.... " OK, you made it though grad school , just get this test done so you can focus on getting some solid work experience"

CISSP is set for the end of NOV with a boot camp from infosec institute ( online)

Comments

• ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    No_Nerd wrote: »
    Failed CASP today after a very intense 2 months of studying

I used the following
    CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner (CASP) CAS-002 Cert Guide

By: Robin Abernathy

Read book 2x and worked though the questions .

Perhaps I need to find a boot camp somewhere and fly and get some training. I need the cert in 90 days or I get the ax at work.

Going to try again in two to three weeks.

I keep telling myself that it is only one cert and it shouldn't be that big of an issue.

Self prep talk went as follows.... " OK, you made it though grad school , just get this test done so you can focus on getting some solid work experience"

CISSP is set for the end of NOV with a boot camp from infosec institute ( online)

This is a hard test. For me, it was harder than the CISSP. Did your report tell you what you needed to work on? What did you think of the SIMS?
  • joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I try never to rely on one source for any test. Even if it covers every single topic that ends up in questions you see, it might not have covered the information int he best way for it to make sense for you, and more important, stick with you when you needed it.

A quick glance at safari shows three other CASP books, plsu of course CISSP and Security+ books that cover a lot of the same information. Haven't looked at reviews on them, but even if they don't have best reviews, doesn't mean they're not worth reading for you.

That all being said, love taht you're hopping right back on it. Take a look at that score sheet, see where you need work, and go for it! :)
  • No_NerdNo_Nerd Banned Posts: 168
    three of the sims made complete sense to me, the other two or three I had no idea . All in all the sims were better than the actual abc questions.

Next test set for Friday, September 23, 2016
  • AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I also failed CASP the first time (and haven't re-tested yet). I found it much harder than CISM or CISSP. Maybe you can use a different cert for your job?
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You got this. Don't panic. Review the score report and focus on your weak areas. Like Joelsfood said, try to reference the other books if you have Safari.
    I can get either CASP or CISSP

so I booked CISSP a few months out. You can take CASP every two weeks so I figured i might wanna keep at CASP then go to my CISSP boot camp. Maybe I could work out a transfer but still this needs to happen one way or the other.
    I can get either CASP or CISSP

so I booked CISSP a few months out. You can take CASP every two weeks so I figured i might wanna keep at CASP then go to my CISSP boot camp. Maybe I could work out a transfer but still this needs to happen one way or the other.

My score report didn't give me any feedback. Did yours give you any areas to focus your studies on?
    Yes both my casp and cissp provided feedback
  • Z0sickxZ0sickx Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Same thing happened to me man, took it after 2 months and failed it, then took it again a month later and passed. Your going to want Both the pearson and Sybex books, I also appreciated the ITprotv series which layed it down in a different format and was better listening then reading it. its a very hard test man, if i can do it, then so can you. you just have to hit the books harder, every spare time you have should be dedicated to studying especially if you have a timetable to get it down
    Looks like I will be flying out for a CASP boot camp with secure-ninja in VA on the 11th . After this boot camp will be a CISSP boot camp with infosec institute.

Once these two are knocked out I can start working my second job to pay for all of the training
    Looks like I will be flying out for a CASP boot camp with secure-ninja in VA on the 11th . After this boot camp will be a CISSP boot camp with infosec institute.

Once these two are knocked out I can start working my second job to pay for all of the training

I feel you. Work is paying for a SANS training next month, then I'll likely have to foot my own bill for a CCNP security boot camp. Let me know what you think of the secure ninja training.
  • BillHooBillHoo Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How far off from passing were you? If it was only a few points, I would just go back and review my study materials.

If you were more than a 5-10 points off, then the bootcamp is probably a good idea.

Good luck! You'll knock out it!

offtopic - are you from Honolulu, or just stationed there with the military?
  • Z0sickxZ0sickx Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    BillHoo wrote: »
    How far off from passing were you? If it was only a few points, I would just go back and review my study materials.

If you were more than a 5-10 points off, then the bootcamp is probably a good idea.

Good luck! You'll knock out it!

offtopic - are you from Honolulu, or just stationed there with the military?
    test does not give your percentage just pass/fail and topics you need to work on
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Seems like 2 months of studying is NOT enough, IMO...I studied Security+ for 9mos and from what I have been reading CASP is tougher than CISSP. I started CASP assessment test on one of their books and did pretty well on it. [h=3]CASP CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner Study Guide, Second Edition (Exam CAS-002) ISBN 9781118930847\[/h]Best of luck on your next exam!
    Cheers!
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
    Passed CASP Today just had to do some brush up

The Secure Ninja boot camp was great . Just because I could ask questions and get them answered

Review of Exam:
    Two books used Lighthouse book and the official CASP study guide
    Secure Ninja bootcamp was the polishing touch I needed.

Here is a review of the Secure Ninja class I took in VA

[FONT=&quot]
    Course feedback[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT] If you Study the SIMS and Test Bank expecting to just choose A,B,C on the exam[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]a.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]You will Fail!!![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]b.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Instead , Study the Simulations and Test Banks for what they are , “Old Retired Test Questions” Know the “Why” behind each question[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]2.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Read the book, then read it again , then buy another buy and read that book two times .[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]3.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Take this “Secure Ninja” course for what it is . “A polishing course, a finishing school for IT professionals with 5-10 years of experience.”[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]4.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Be honest with yourself as to what you know and what you don’t know .[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]a.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]If you don’t know it study it until you do know it .[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]b.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Don’t lie to yourself ( easy to do in IT for sure ) the " Oh yea I knew that...."[/FONT]

Hope to be writing up a review of CISSP at the end of October

If anyone needs a CASP voucher let me know I have an extra one I did not use and will sell it
    Passed CASP Today just had to do some brush up

The Secure Ninja boot camp was great . Just because I could ask questions and get them answered

Review of Exam:
    Two books used Lighthouse book and the official CASP study guide
    Secure Ninja bootcamp was the polishing touch I needed.

Here is a review of the Secure Ninja class I took in VA

[FONT=&amp]
    Course feedback
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]1. If you Study the SIMS and Test Bank expecting to just choose A,B,C on the exam[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]a.You will Fail!!![/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]b.Instead , Study the Simulations and Test Banks for what they are , “Old Retired Test Questions” Know the “Why” behind each question[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]2.Read the book, then read it again , then buy another buy and read that book two times .[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]3.Take this “Secure Ninja” course for what it is . “A polishing course, a finishing school for IT professionals with 5-10 years of experience.”[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]4.Be honest with yourself as to what you know and what you don’t know .[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]a.If you don’t know it study it until you do know it .[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]b.Don’t lie to yourself ( easy to do in IT for sure ) the " Oh yea I knew that...."[/FONT]

Hope to be writing up a review of CISSP at the end of October

If anyone needs a CASP voucher let me know I have an extra one I did not use and will sell it

Congrats on the pass my friend! Did secure Ninja provide a test bank of questions? The Transcender ones I bought and the ones that came with the official study guide weren't in the same league as the actual exam.
  • CIOCIO Member Posts: 151

How long is the voucher good for?
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Which sims and test bank are you talking about? Congrats! Good luck on your CISSP, that's next for me as well.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
    There are so many different " test Banks" and "Sims" floating around the internet from different companies ( which is what I was referring to)

Security Ninja has test material as well which again if you just study that with no prior prep you will fail.

The Voucher expires in 12 months
    Secure Ninja did have questions . I also used the Transender which worked well for me . The best thing about the Secure Ninja class was the fact that I could ask a question just as soon as I needed to.