emachine reviews

cussetacusseta Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am in the market for a couple of PCs that I can use for a simple in-home lab. I found 2 Emachine T3516 Celeron D 3.2GHz PCs that I can afford, but I was wondering if anyone knew whether these highly affordable (and brand new :) ) PCs are worth purchasing. Any reviews, bad or good, are appreciated. Thanks.
Sometimes you've got to prove to your friends that you're still worth a damn!

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Though I've heard a lot of negative about e-Machines, I've salvadge many over the years and re-furbed them for a local computer store.

They are what they are. Nothing fancy. They function. They are low cost and basically considered disposable.

If you want it for a test box/e-mail basic web box...sure they are fine. If you want it for a mid-high end user...it would be a bad choice.

How 'affordable' are you finding them?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    eMachines isn't a terrible brand, and they've gotten to be better with the years. My first packaged computer was an eMachine, and most of the components probably still work today. Over the years, eMachines quietly sold more and more computers, and even held on through the nasty fallout of the dotcom crash, and even got around to putting better quality parts in their boxes. It's not really saying much, I suppose, but they bought out Gateway and are currently selling Gateway machines as "low-end" in comparison to their own brand, much the same way that HP does with Compaq. If you find them for a good price, I'd say buy them.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Slowhand wrote:
    . It's not really saying much, I suppose, but they bought out Gateway and are currently selling Gateway machines as "low-end" in comparison to their own brand, much the same way that HP does with Compaq. If you find them for a good price, I'd say buy them.

Actually you have it backwards, eMachanies was bought by Gateway to get their retail distribution chain and that is why the parts got better.

http://news.com.com/2100-1042_3-5172583.html
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • cussetacusseta Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    How 'affordable' are you finding them?

Along with the Celeron D 3.2 GHz, they have 120 GB hard drive, 512 MB RAM, PCI-E slot, etc.., and they were $300 a piece icon_wink.gif . For the specs, I couldn't find a better deal. I had the money and said "What the hell" Hopefully, they'll last long enough for me to get my MCSE. If so, then they were well worth it in my opinion.
    Sometimes you've got to prove to your friends that you're still worth a damn!
    Not a bad way to get a quick a couple systems for a lab without working with old hardware. Hopefully, they'll last for you :)

Biggest problem in the past was that the PS was undersized (or small) and it was a small form factor and difficult to find a replacement locally. The last few I have seen have a standard PS so, you sound like to did find a deal! :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    Instead of buying a couple of, arguably disposable machines, why not do a little shopping and build a couple of machines yourself? You can find bare bones kits and parts for the same price and you might learn a little something along the way.
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
    Instead of buying a couple of, arguably disposable machines, why not do a little shopping and build a couple of machines yourself? You can find bare bones kits and parts for the same price and you might learn a little something along the way.

Usually that is a good thought, but I've never come close to $300 when I build my own, then there is the 'oh, I could use 1GB of ram...sure lets get it today and"....there goes budget.

$300 each is pretty decent.

Unless you have a chassis on hand, it's pretty tough to get a CPU, RAM, MOBO, Drives for under that price (unless you buy used).
    Plantwiz
    _____