MCSE Vista?

routingbyrumorroutingbyrumor Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi, I am planning to do the MSCE but what happens when Vista Server comes out? Will we need to get a MCSE Vista or upgrade our skill set?

Comments

• RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't worry about MCSE 2007 anyway. It will be several years before that's mainstream. To be honest, I still think MCSE 2000 is prevalent as opposed to 2003. 2000 still has a very high demand even though 2003 is out there. You won't need to update for another few years. At this juncture, if they were to even roll out the new MCSE courses first quarter 2007, I think it would be at least 2010 before it would be time to upgrade from 2003 to 2007.

If any of that makes sense.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    There isn't going to be an MCSE 2007. Microsoft has changed the format of their IT certifications. The MCA track is currently underway for developers and database administrators. In the end, this will be the way all of Microsoft's certs will go, including systems administration and engineering. There will be three levels of each branch of the MCA: the first is the entry-level, known as MCTS. The second, which will be more comparable to the MCSE, is MCITP (or MCPD). The third, designed with the hopes to rival CCIE, is the MCA, itself. The testing formats will be similar to what we know now, for the MCTS and the MCITP. The MCA, however, is far more complex. Take a look at the site for more details.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • nuglobenuglobe Member Posts: 190
    Rival the CCIE for what?
    GenshiroGuide: My blog about things I found useful. Now with videos. :)
  • routingbyrumorroutingbyrumor Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thats insane that they are doing a track like Cisco, this is very interesting to hear. Thanks for the replys time to get started on this MCSE.
    nuglobe wrote:
    Rival the CCIE for what?

For having the most prestegious, sought-after certification in the industry.

• OpiOpi Member Posts: 127
    how is is possible to be extemely good in networking, programming and DB administrating all together ?
    This is what MCA represents, right ?
    Everyday new things come out in all three of these sectors.

I think it would be extremely hard to get a MCA.
    Opi wrote:
    how is is possible to be extemely good in networking, programming and DB administrating all together ?
    This is what MCA represents, right ?
    Everyday new things come out in all three of these sectors.

The MCA will feature different tracks. You pick one from networking, database development and administration, or .NET programming. It is, however, recommended that you are at least familiar, if not quite good at, the other two aspects if you're going for a third. If you're doing networking, for example, it's important to know how to write C# code and administrate SQL Server, since a lot of jobs require that kind of knowledge. And, seeing as how the MCA is going to be an all-encompassing IT management/architecture/knowledge cert, I would imagine that being up to date in all three areas would be very helpful in obtaining the certification.

• darren24601darren24601 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    MCSE 2007 wont be really need for a few years yet but what you can do is after you done the MCSE 2003 you can take an upgread exams so you do not have to start it from scrach agin. i did my Mcse online and Classroom with e-careers think there web adderss is www.e-careers.co.uk
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Opi wrote:

I believe to become a Mcrosoft Certified Architect (MCA), it costs over £10,000. Plus there is no exam, you are actually assessed by a board of people who have already achieved MCA status over a few months to year. Currently there are about 80 people world-wide with this cert.

Anyway back to the "MCSE 2007"... Windows Server 2007 will now be Windows Server 2008, the MCSE/MCSA track will only go up to Windows Server 2003 R2 (plus what ever service packs they release. These are the new equivalents (give or take):

Old -> New -> Upgrade Exam
    MCSE 2k3 -> MCITP Enterprise Administrator -> 71-649/70-649 (71 means beta, 70 means standard/normal exam)
    MCSA 2k3 -> MCITP Server Administrator -> 71-648/70-648 (71 means beta, 70 means standard/normal exam)
    Microsoft wrote:
    Upgrading credentials
    There will be an upgrade path for customers who hold an MCSA or MCSE in Windows Server 2003. There will not be a separate upgrade path for customers who hold a Messaging or Security specialization in Windows Server 2003.

• MCSA on Windows Server 2003 can upgrade to two MCTS certifications (Active Directory and Networking) with one exam.

• MCSE on Windows Server 2003 can upgrade to all three MCTS certifications with one exam.

The beta exams will be release this year, the final exams (I believe) will be release by the end of the year.

There is no rush to finish the MCSE 2k3 track as MS are only finishing the 2k track next year, so don't worry. And from a business point of view, not everyone will be rushing to upgrade their server to 2k8 just yet. Win 2k3 still has alot of life left in it.

Hope this helps

-Ken
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think the upgrade exam for MCSA will be the equivalent to the two required MCTS exams for the administration track. Then there will be one Pro exam to obtain the MCITP Server Administrator.

Then there will be one upgrade exam for the MCSE to cover the three required MCTS followed by one or two pro exams to obtain the MCITP Enterprise administrator.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
    Yup, and according to the Microsoft Learning team, there's going to be two paths for MCITP on Windows Server 2008. What those two paths are, what the differences will be, they haven't said yet.

• NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    The majority of info so far is in my above post, or you can check out here: http://blogs.msdn.com/trika/archive/2007/05/18/ws2003-ws2008-betas-at-teched-orlando.aspx or check out the MCP site (after you sign in).

-ken