Options

Early morning study sessions for CCENT/CCNA

pujan96pujan96 Member Posts: 121 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

Some one suggested early morning study sessions and was hoping to get your guys opinions, does anybody do this, has any body started this?

When I get home from work at around 7pm I am to tired to put in solid hours of study, I am often tired and some times pissed off after a stressful day of work.

I am looking into early morning study session to see if it is a viable means of study for me. I dont have to leave for work till around 7:30 am to catch the train so I was thinking of waking up around 4-5am and getting at least a couple of hours of study time. This way I have a consistent minimum amount CCENT hours a day without having to deal with whatever life throws at me in the evenings i.e. family, cooking ect ect.

And if I can get some additional studying/labbing done in the evening it would be a bonus.

If anyone can give their opinion on this it would be very helpful.

Thanks
Pujan
[X] CCNA R&S

[X] CCNP Route 300-101
[  ] CCNP Switch 300-115
[  ] CCNP T-Shoot 300-135

[  ]  NPDESI 300-550

[  ] CCIE R&S Written
[  ] CCIE R&S LAB

Comments

• Options
    Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    4am sounds like middle of the night to me
  • Options
    cmztechcmztech Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would like to recommend this book. It's called "The Power of Full Engagement". It's about managing your energy and not your time. This was extremely helpful for me and perhaps it will bring value to you.

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Full-Engagement-Managing-Performance/dp/0743226755

Edit: I have no idea how this link is pointing to walmart, but this is not me. I do not support E-Corp. I've tried to change it to amazon and it won't stick. Perhaps something to do with the site's code? FYI
  • Options
    rob42rob42 Member Posts: 423
    IMHO, it's not when you study or even how long you study for; it's the quality of the study, what you get out of it. Not much point in putting in 2 hours of study at 5am if you're too tried to benefit from it, but give it a go if you think it'll help.

I'd like to share with you my study method. I know everyone is different, but this works for me and it may work for others also.

I (like you and many others) hold down a full time job while studying for a qualification that I hope will be the ticket to a better future. My job involves a lot of driving and I cover around 800 mile per week. It's draining and I'm always tired at the end of the day, so I know that trying to read and absorb new material is going to be hard, at best.

It was from a post on this forum URL]http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/122107-study-notes.html[/URL that I learned of an App called Anki (my thanks to carterw65). I use Anki to formulate questions and answers based on what I've been reading. So, I read (or study) at the weekend (as I'm fortunate enough to not have to work at the weekend), formulating my our Q&A's with a focus on the Key Topics as well as replicating the DIKTA quizzes that begin each chapter of the Wendell Odom books, but without the multiple choice of answers.

The Q&A's are then written up in Anki, using my PC and synced with the Anki server. I then use the mobile version of Anki on my phone to review the questions and answer them in my head before checking that the answer I have written, concurs. I can do this during my lunch break or while when I'm home and have a half hour window or if I can't sleep (I struggle with bouts of insomnia). In fact, for me, studying just before I go to sleep seems to have the most benefit, as I then think about my Q&A's on a more subconscious level while drifting off to the land of nod.

I've about 100 Q&A's so far and I'm only up to Chapter 5 of ICND1 100-101, adding about a dozen or so each weekend, but I can answer about 80% to 90% of them in any one session by the following weekend. Obviously, my goal is 100% of them.

I hope this is of some help to you and that you'll have a look at Anki to see if it can be as useful to you as it has been to many others. I'd be interested to hear (or read in any case) about how you get on.

All the best; hard work pays off in the end.
    No longer an active member