assed Security+ 9/19/2016 !!!

AntWrigAntWrig Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I passed yesterday with a score of 780/900 and I am not ashamed of that score. I have worked in a NOC environment (admittedly) most of it on the back-end, provisioning, etc but still. This test was much harder than the CCNA, I recently passed earlier this year. Make no mistake about it. You better have some knowledge of networking. I used Darril Gibson's book, while good, it's NOT enough to pass.

I encountered some question, that had me like, are you serious? I look at this is being so sheltered I guess but I stand by what I said. This isn't an entry level test. When you take, you better have a basic understanding.

What should you study?
Technical, operational, and management controls
VPN
Off the wall, wireless scenarios
Web based attacks

Comments

• Infosec85Infosec85 Member Posts: 192 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on your pass! Very surprised you found it more difficult than CCNA. Whats up next?
  • KalabasterKalabaster Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You really need a P before that first word, or a "c" instead of those 2 "s".
    Certifications: A+, Net+, Sec+, Project+, Linux+/LPIC-1/SUSE CLA, C|EH, eWPT, GMON, GWAPT, GCIH, eCPPT, GPEN, GXPN, OSCP, CISSP.
    WGU, BS-IT, Security: C178, C255, C100, C132, C164, C173, C172, C480, C455, ORA1, C182, C168, C394, C393, C451, C698, C697, C176, C456, C483, C170, C175, C169, C299, C246, C247, C376, C179, C278, C459, C463, C435, C436.
    Legend: Completed, In-Progress, Next
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    assed? aced? what? Congrats.:D
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratss on your *ass you miss the P :D:D:D:D
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    HAHA! Based on the title I though you were bragging about failing. Remember: never forget to "P" at the very beginning. LOL

Congrats then! icon_smile.gif
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CCNA was probably easier for you because you work in the networking field, that being said, congrats! and what's next?
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on the pass. It is a challenging exam, so good on you for conquering it.

@cyberguypr...I always recommend that before an exam. Too funny.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • cbdcbd Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! Totally agree...it was a hard test for me too. I got a 781.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Reminds me of Requiem of a Dream.
  • AntWrigAntWrig Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the support. Yeah, I tried to edit the title with little success. Anyway, regarding my career path. I have been in the IT field since I was 18. I am now 36 and most of that time has been in a NOC environment. With my experience, I am doing pretty well, but now I want more of a challenge. I also want and know I can make more money. So, security has always interested me.

From my research there appears to be two competing paths. One suggests going down the networking (R/S) route until the CCNP level, and then focus on the security side. I can see that argument, because I do believe you need a foundation in networking. Also, if all else fails, you will 100% find a job doing networking admin/engineering work. The second line of thinking is going straight for the security certs. My problem with that track is I don't have the experience with SOC methods, tools, etc. It seems now, I may have to take a Tier 1 SOC level job and build the experience. I will be honest with you, that right now or probably will never be an option. So, I don't know.

I will take remaining of the week off to think some things out. Coming Monday though, I will be back on that grind, on whatever track I choose. I would love to hear all suggestions.
  • AntWrigAntWrig Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Kalabaster wrote: »
    You really need a P before that first word, or a "c" instead of those 2 "s".
    Well played.