Passed 9/22

rogressemrogressem Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I managed to pass yesterday. I used the Pearson book which comes with a two banks of practice questions. I paid for the eBook version which comes with a 3rd bank of questions. I spent alot of time going through all of these questions, marking the ones that I could not answer, and going back to the book for questions I couldn't understand. I used as many practice tests that I could find. Also, the practice questions in the book are different from the ones that come on the CD, so go through those also. Cybrary has some practice questions also, but I didn't make time to go through all of those.

I did do the FEDVTE videos but in my opinion those were not worth the time it takes to watch all of them. Focus on the book(s).

I have taken alot of certification exams during my career and my method of study has always been practice questions - as many as I can find. I used those questions to help me focus on right content in the book. I have never been good at just reading the book and learning the material.

There is alot to comprehend, but I saw alot of SSO, SAML, XACML, OAuth (the stuff I was having a hard time keeping straight). Know all the documents (ISA, BIA, NDA, etc, etc). I could go on an on.

I have taken alot of exams over the years and this was the hardest. I had 80 questions, all the scenario/performance based were at the beginning. To be honest, the performance based weren't that bad. I was more concerned about the number of regular questions that I couldn't answer.

I want through all 80 questions, marked those that I wasn't sure about, then went back through those over and over, using all but 10 minutes of my time. That is a long time to stay focused (at least for me). I really felt like I guessed on 25% of them, but somehow I managed to pass.

Comments

• danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! What's next for you?
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241
    Wow, this is positive. Rogressem, care to give us your background? I am trying to gauge whether or not I am ready to take this exam.

I'm with you regarding SAML and XACML still get me. I'm reading the Sybex book right now. I just finished the Pearson book.
    Current: OSCP

Next: CCNP (R&S and Sec)

Follow my OSCP Thread!
  • rickberrrickberr Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats!
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! Really good job!
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • Z0sickxZ0sickx Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! those same topics were hard to grasp in the beginning but after reading it plethora of times + watching youtube videos giving me visual walk through it all clicked
  • rogressemrogressem Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wow, this is positive. Rogressem, care to give us your background? I am trying to gauge whether or not I am ready to take this exam.

I'm with you regarding SAML and XACML still get me. I'm reading the Sybex book right now. I just finished the Pearson book.

I've done a little bit of everything since entering the IT field since the late 90's (Windows sys admin, some Cisco, was a firewall admin for a couple of years, VMWare, but the past 8 years or so I've been more on the programming side of things (now SharePoint). I did the MCSE stuff for Windows NT and 2003, and that was the last of my Microsoft certifications. Did the CISCO CCNA, Network+ and Security+, but my last cert until now was Security+ in 2007, so I haven't been deep in this world for a while.

Did all of that help? Yes, but without doubt there was alot of stuff covered for this exam that I wasn't familiar with.

By the way, this is probably typical, but before the exam starts, it says there may be questions that are not graded. As I went through the test, I kept saying "I hope that question wasn't graded".
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□