What CompTIA certs renew Security+?

KandinskyKandinsky Member Posts: 108 ■■■□□□□□□□
I got my A+, Network+ and Security+ all last year. Each subsequent certification renewed the one before it. I still have almost 2 years left before they expire, but I'd like to start planning now to give myself plenty of time to take care of the renewal. I went to CompTIA's website but it's kind of vague. The only CompTIA cert that I can see that definitively renews Security+ is CASP. I'm not sure I want to take CASP. I recently switched jobs from doing help desk support in a call center for an ISP to being a NOC tech for a cloud host, so I was thinking of either trying for Linux+ or Cloud+, but I'm not sure if they would renew my Security+. Does anyone know for sure? Will obtaining Cloud+ or Linux+ renew my Security+ or is CASP the only one? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It looks
    like Cloud+ and Mobility+ would only get you about half the CEUs you would need. You could renew Security+ by passing it again. Comptia also gives CEUs for passing other industry certifications:

https://certification.comptia.org/continuing-education/renewothers/renewing-security

Here are a few more good pages to take a look at:

https://certification.comptia.org/continuing-education/comptia-continuing-education-program-faq

[PDF] https://certification.comptia.org/docs/default-source/downloadablefiles/comptia-continuing-education-activity-chart.pdf?sfvrsn=2
  • ultm8mindultm8mind Member Posts: 111
    Since you got them last year you have like 2 more years to knock out CEU's, that should be reasonable and then pay your fee and you automatically renew them.
  • KandinskyKandinsky Member Posts: 108 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the responses.

@thomas: Thanks for the links. I did see after my OP where cloud+ only gives partial credit. I really think CompTIA should simplify their requirements if they want people to renew. I have no interest in taking Security+ again. Been there, done that. I may have to do a couple of different certs to obtain the credits I need to renew, if I still go that route.

@skyliinez92: You bring up an excellent point. I may just let them expire. They served their usefulness in allowing me to get the help desk and noc tech jobs. It may be more beneficial to focus on other higher level certifications that would allow me to further advance my career. Also, I have little motivation to retake a certification that I have already obtained just for the sake of keeping it current. There are bigger fish to fry, so to speak.

@ultm8mind: Yeah, that may be the actual route I take. If I can find some fairly painless way to obtain the CEUs over the next 2 years it may be worth it just in the off chance I may find a position that requires them to be current. Perhaps I can do a webinar now and then or some other such nonsense that wouldn't be too much trouble. Thanks for the input.
    If you're military (or a Vet) or work for gov't hit me up, I have a site for you to get those CEU's.
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It's not too difficult if you are keeping your skills relevant. Just keep all the documentation. There is a breakdown of the max CEUs you can get per category though, so pay attention to that. You can also get 3 per year just for working in IT if you have a boss who will sign off on a letter. Two years is enough time to get it done. I already have enough CEUs for Sec+ just by trying to stay up-to-date, and I have a year to go before my renewal deadline.
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Do you really need to renew your certs? Unless a certain employer requires it (which I've never come across) then I wouldn't see the point renewing them. You can still show on your CV/resume that you have passed each exam and gained the knowledge from them, and your employer will see that. Plus you could spend your time going for more specific, stronger certs with Microsoft or Cisco. ComTIA is more entry-level certifications and renewing them every 3 years would be a bit pointless, especially if you have got an MCSA, CCNA etc.

My certs are set to expire in 2019 due to passing my Sec+ earlier this year, and I have no plans to do any other ComTIA certs. It's your choice, but personally I don't see the point unless you really want to do CASP or Cloud+.

I agree with you Sky...I have never been questioned about my certs expiring...if you can prove to them that you have passed the exam once, then that should be sufficient...I have several old certs, but I still put them on my resume because I passed them. Most employers are probably not going to be picky about this. If they are, I would probably apply elsewhere, unless they are going to help you purchase newer exam materials, tests, etc. :)
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • fmitawapsfmitawaps Banned Posts: 261
    Why not go for CCNA Security instead of trying to renew the lesser Security+ ? Do government jobs insist on Security+ even though CCNA Security is a higher level?
  • JimmyJangle777JimmyJangle777 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you watch the Professor Messer Study Group videos on youtube for Sec+ he gives you a code word around halfway through the video where you can email him with the code word and he sends you a digitally signed document proving that you watched the video. An easy way to max out the "watch a webinar" category of CE's.
  • KandinskyKandinsky Member Posts: 108 ■■■□□□□□□□
    fmitawaps wrote: »
    Why not go for CCNA Security instead of trying to renew the lesser Security+ ? Do government jobs insist on Security+ even though CCNA Security is a higher level?

I've never worked for the government, so I'm not sure. CCNA security is definitely a possibility, although truth be told, I got lucky in a way, because all my certs were paid for by a grant I qualified for after I was laid off by a past employer. Sort of a retraining program so to speak. But that's over now, and anything that I certify in going forward will have to come out of my own pocket. These days I find myself dabbling in a lot of different things, so I'm not sure what direction I want to head in. I think over time that will become more clear. Right now I'm just thinking about what to do if I decide to try to keep my certs active. Thanks everyone for sharing their viewpoints and advice.
  • dukesmjdukesmj Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I work for the Government. Can you help me out? Thanks
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • dukesmjdukesmj Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    you should've received a pm from me dukes, a reply saying thanks would let me know you did ;)