Torn between Infosec or Networking

TenGenTenGen Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello to everyone, this is also an introduction since it is my first post. I have been reading the forums for a while and noticed it's a rich source of information and a place to get to know new people.

My main concern is about which path to take, I have done a few searches here and there but I am currently undecided on the matter.

I'm currently working at the local Municipality as a IT Technician, nothing fancy I just troubleshoot Networking problems, do some networking equipment implementation and fixing computers. The thing is I want to broaden my knowledge and earn more while doing the things I love. Thing is I'm torn between Security or Networking.

I wanted to kick things off with a Sec+ Cert and then go CCNA R&S > CCNP. Is that a good idea?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    From my perspective, your path will give you a good base to use to decide which path you want to go down long term. Go for it!
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • TenGenTenGen Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the quick Input! is the CCNA cert costly? My current job will not help me economically in regarding IT training.
    Books can be a bit pricey, about $50 per book/exam. The exams cost about $150 each. If you go with one book per exam, then you are looking at about $400 or so. Sign up for a Cisco Networking Academy account. They will provide you with their Packet Tracer program, which many here say is good enough to help you attain your CCNA, which is free. It is a network simulator/emulator. Getting that will save you the cost of sourcing a hardware based kit, which could tack on an additional $250-400.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

• TenGenTenGen Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wow didn't know that even existed, I thought the price were close to the 1k mark, I will follow your recommendation and sign up. I really appreciate the help.
    No problem. They have a few online courses available for free, so take them when you sign up. If nothing else, you will have broadened your skill set a bit.