Microsoft Streamlines MCSE tracks for 2016

kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□

Comments

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Am I reading it right that it only takes 1 test, after the MSCA, to get an MSCE now though?
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Not clear where is the list of the electives one can take to get a new MCSE/MCSD.
    I don't believe it does say exactly what they are. It does say the following though:

To earn each of these credentials, you must first earn a qualifying Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA) certification and, then, pass a single additional exam from a list of electives associated with the corresponding Center of Excellence.

Can't imagine why anyone who just took 3 tests to get their MSCA wouldn't want take one more for the full MSCE now.
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah, technically it is twice less than it was before, but they may increase the exam difficulty or make it a-couple-in-one like 70-417. Which leads to pretty much the same amount of effort to spend for preparation.
  • GSXR750K2GSXR750K2 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Looks that way...one elective for MCSE.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/mcse-cloud-platform-infrastructure.aspx

I also just got an email congratulating me on my new cert...guess I got upgraded to the new deal, and with a "Charter" label.

-EDIT-

Just read the link from the OP. Freaking awesome, I was going to let my MCSE lapse next month in order to focus on finishing my master's. Best...Monday...Ever.
  • kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    @GSXR Same here, and I was seriously considering going for the 70-743 exam. More time for my Master's as well, and other certs.
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    So if you get MCSA Linux, you automatically get MCSE? Or do you have to pass 533 again? Huh.
    If you have your MCSA Linux for Azure, then you'll get upgraded. Take a look at the link.

http://bit.ly/2dgS1NV
    So that MCSA is automatically an MCSE now? Linux Foundation + 533 = MCSA but does 533 count 2x to make MCSE?

I'm confused. Also, I saw that you have to pass an elective class after January 1 of this year in order to count towards MCSE. Which sucks because I passed 533 but it doesn't count for anything. Not that I feel like getting back in the MS cert game, but... anyways. I'm sure they'll work it out.
  • PishofPishof Member Posts: 193
    kiki162 wrote: »
    @GSXR Same here, and I was seriously considering going for the 70-743 exam. More time for my Master's as well, and other certs.

I'm in the same boat. I was considering letting my MCSE lapse to focus on other items.
    Now I logged into my portal to see I'm a MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure?

The MCSE: Server Infrastructure on my transcript still has an expiration date on it but the named track is retiring in March anyway.
    Courses Left for WGU BS - IT: NA:
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
    @PJ, Check your MCP transcript.
    @PJ, Check your MCP transcript.
    Well, it looks exactly the same as it did before. lol :)
  • thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
    lol, looks like I'm an MCSE now. Fancy. Still gonna take the 70-413 and 70-414 exams...dropped $400 on those Booster packs :D
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA
  • Ugly-051Ugly-051 Member Posts: 63 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012 expires March 31, 2017, I have done all except 70-414 so does this mean if I get my 70-414 before this date I get an MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012 or a MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure? Or does it mean if I don’t pass 70-414 after that date I have to do more exams?
    It sounds like that you'll need to do 70-414 before that 3/31 deadline in order to get MCSE 2012. Once you get that, you should be good for 3 years till it expires. The bigger question is, do you automatically get your MCSE 2016. Probably no.

Only other thing I wanted to add was this. They are doing away with the 3 year renewal, and instead replacing it with a 1 year renewal. See page below.

https://borntolearn.mslearn.net/b/weblog/posts/microsoft-streamlines-technical-certifications

[FONT=&quot]"Every year, you will have the opportunity to re-earn the certification by passing an additional exam from the list of electives, demonstrating your investment in broadening or deepening your skills in a given Center of Excellence."[/FONT]
    It sounds like that you'll need to do 70-414 before that 3/31 deadline in order to get MCSE 2012. Once you get that, you should be good for 3 years till it expires. The bigger question is, do you automatically get your MCSE 2016. Probably no.

Only other thing I wanted to add was this. They are doing away with the 3 year renewal, and instead replacing it with a 1 year renewal. See page below.

https://borntolearn.mslearn.net/b/weblog/posts/microsoft-streamlines-technical-certifications

[FONT=&amp]"Every year, you will have the opportunity to re-earn the certification by passing an additional exam from the list of electives, demonstrating your investment in broadening or deepening your skills in a given Center of Excellence."[/FONT]

Did some more digging, I’ve looked at the certification MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure and it states:

Earn MCSA: Windows Server 2012 (earned)

Choose one of the exams below:

70-413 (earned)

70-414 (not-earned).

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/mcse-cloud-platform-infrastructure.aspx

Looks like I’ve already qualified for the MCSE, unless I can’t do it that way… icon_confused.gif:

It's early days I suppose
  • SmilymarcoSmilymarco Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You'll get both. See the blog-link from kiki, last comment from Larry.

Also take a look at your transcript. The MCSE should be there if you already have the 413
    Smilymarco wrote: »
    You'll get both. See the blog-link from kiki, last comment from Larry.

Also take a look at your transcript. The MCSE should be there if you already have the 413

Outside of USA the transcripts are delayed, just waiting on that.
  • elad123elad123 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I read all the comments on that borntolearn link and this is some more info I found

- MCSE require yearly renewal (calendar year)
    - To Renew MCSE certification's you have to complete one of the elective exams for cloud platform infrastructure they are these exams: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/mcse-cloud-platform-infrastructure.aspx but... you can't take the same exam twice. So if you already have one of these exams say from the previous year you can't take it again. Which means you are likely going to have to take exams that have nothing to do with what you do for a living just to get the MCSE renewal.

If you are like me and had the MCSE: Server Inf and now you have been gifted this new MCSE Cloud platform thing, to renew in 2017 you would have to take on of the exams on this page https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/mcse-cloud-platform-infrastructure.aspx that inst the 413 or the 414 as they have already been completed.

This seems like a shameless cash grab targeted at the test centers full of people brain dumping these exams for their never ending list of certifications. I really think certifications should be linked to specific versions and not expire until the technology does, would also be better to see real lab exams so people actually value the certifications. I can't see my self doing anymore of these exams at this point, I think this is one of the worst changes Microsoft have made but what's even worse is they change this so often now who's to say in another year it won't be completely "streamlined" again.
    I took it to mean that a person is simply reaffirming their knowledge and that the last test date will be a rough determination of how far they have fallen behind. The preceding sentences give it a little more context:

The resulting MCSE or MCSD certification will be added to your transcript and will never expire. Instead, the achievement date will signify your investment in continuing education on the technology. Every year, you will have the opportunity to re-earn the certification by passing an additional exam...

"Re-earn" just sounds like a warm and fuzzy way of encouraging, but not mandating, exams every year, which would indeed be a cash grab since tests would be taken three times more frequently.
  • elad123elad123 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you read through the comments at the bottom by Larry Kaye it doesn't seem to work that way. It's hard to copy and paste as he is replying to multiple people but here is a bit:

[FONT=&quot]"@M.Glaser - When you take and pass Exam 413, you will earn MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure. If that happens before 31-Dec, you will earn this credential for 2016. My advice would then be to take Exam 414 after January 1, so that you will also earn MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure for 2017 (separate entry on your transcript)."

[/FONT]

So you can see that the MCSE is versioned per year as a separate entry on the transcript starting Jan 1

Also this:

[FONT=&quot]"1) Is each MCSE/MCSD certification valid for a calendar year (i.e. Jan 1st - Dec 31st) or is it based on the day + 1 year when you earned the respective certification?[/FONT]
    Larry - Each time one of the five new MCSE/MCSD certifications is earned, it is associated with the calendar year"

Another bit:

"With respect to the new MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, based on your current MCSE status, you have already earned it for 2016, and it does not expire. However, if you wish to demonstrate your continued education in 2017, you have the opportunity to re-earn it (additional entry on your transcript) by taking another elective exam in 2017."

I see...

Thanks for clarifying some of that as I didn't delve too far into the comments section of the announcement. Some of the other comments here make more sense now.

I had a big, long post written up drawing comparisons and referencing other certifications which have lost their luster over time, but in the end it's all just my opinion. Let the rat race ensue.
  • SmilymarcoSmilymarco Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was thinking about the MCSE Messaging before the news spread. Now im thinking about doing part one of the old MCSE (70-341) to become MCSE Productivity and part 1 of the old MCSE Server Infrastructure (70-413) to become MCSE Cloud+Infrastructure.

Next year before march i'll then do the second parts of both old MCSE and get the new ones for 2017 including the old ones (Messaging + SI) that will never expire....
    Is there something wrong with that plan? The old MCSEs should still be attainable till they expire on march 31? So in the end i should have 6 MCSE on my transcript...
  • lavidicuslavidicus Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I passed the MCSA 2 weeks ago, and took the 70-413 Tuesday morning and passed. It took PearsonVue several days to update my test but I received the new MCSE today.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Great News! This gives me a whole lot more motivation to complete the MCSA 2012/2014 SQL, then hold out for the elective to get the MCSE Data Management - Analytics. This is PERFECT!
  • tmurphy3100tmurphy3100 Member Posts: 154 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Oddly enough, after passing the 74-409 on Friday...not only did I receive my MCSA in Server 2012, but my transcript says I am MSCE: Productivity (*Charter).

I am assuming this is a mistake, I wonder if I should report it or just wait.
    2020 Goals: CCNA R&S, Cysa+, AZ103, Linux+, Pentest+
    Oddly enough, after passing the 74-409 on Friday...not only did I receive my MCSA in Server 2012, but my transcript says I am MSCE: Productivity (*Charter).

Gratz on your MSCE!! icon_cheers.gif
    There's also a note within the blog on "elective" exams. Now they probably haven't come out with that list yet, but it should be interesting to see what's on there.
  • PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This might not be it, I was looking for a general list of electives as well, but I noticed from the MSCE page (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/mcse-certification.aspx) that several of the options (Productivity, Cloud Platform for instance) had a long list inside saying Pass one of these electives for MCSE..

like this
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/mcse-productivity-certification.aspx
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me