Options

Gns3

captaincrunchy6captaincrunchy6 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
for the people that has used this software, was it good fit to study the CCNP route with, and what ram setup did you use.

I have some IOS files that I am able to run, just I believe I might need more than 4gb to run as smooth as possible.

Any further insight with this software would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    kjennings2523kjennings2523 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am using GNS3 for my Switch studies and plan to use it for my Route test as well. I created a GNS3 VM with VMWare player and uploaded some IOU L2 and L3 images to it. That is all I needed to study so far. My PC has an Intel I5 so I am using 2 cores for the VM and 4GB of RAM. So far so good as I have been able to practice almost everything for Switch. The CPU usage for the VM doesn't get much higher than 10 percent and RAM 30 percent. Most devices I have had running at one time has been about 6 devices.

I played around with IOS files and the IOS files utilize a lot more resources than IOUs plus you have to use the IDLE-PC feature which you don't have to with IOUs.
  • Options
    esr0159esr0159 Member Posts: 80 ■□□□□□□□□□
    GNS3 is already okay with the Route exam. For the RAM 4gb is a bit okay just make sure you have the idle-pc set correctly. If you'll be using more routers (example 10+ routers) I would advise getting more RAM (8gb +)
    CCNP R&S | Planning to hit IE R&S or JNCIA or Security path|
  • Options
    Mr.NetworkMr.Network Member Posts: 117
    I have some IOS files that I am able to run, just I believe I might need more than 4gb to run as smooth as possible.

Is it possible to get IOS 15 for testing purpose somewhere for GNS3?
    CCNA R&S, MCSA.
  • Options
    esr0159esr0159 Member Posts: 80 ■□□□□□□□□□
    look for the c7200-AD image, it uses IOS 15
    CCNP R&S | Planning to hit IE R&S or JNCIA or Security path|