Options

CCNP R&S or Security

precisemmcprecisemmc Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have both CCNA Sec & Route and Switch.My emphasis and interests has always leaned more towards the security side of things so in terms of career progressing, which one should I knock out next? Im leaning more towards the security side of the house but I did some brief research on CCNP Sec and Ive seen nothing but complaints. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CCNP Security has a bad rap right now because three of the four exams don't have clearly written certification guides and the fourth is somewhat out of date. I wouldn't let that stop you from going for it if your career goal is to become a network security engineer, but keep it in mind nonetheless.

You can't go wrong with CCNP R&S - the core route/switch knowledge from that track will help you understand the reasons why we do some of the things we do with security devices. Cisco is also going to refresh the NP Security track at some point in the future (likely not very soon). My recommendation would be to go for the R&S if you want to get your CCNP in the near term, or go for the Security track if you aren't particular about exactly when you earn that designation.
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • Options
    precisemmcprecisemmc Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you so much for the feedback so in regards to the various devices is virtualization easily done. I was able to pass my CCNA Sec because I was able to visualize an ASA with no problems. Guess Im just frustrated I went back and got my CCNA Sec with the intention to get a NP now I feel stuck.
  • Options
    KrekenKreken Member Posts: 284
    Don't feel stuck. Work on CCNP R&S as it would be make you a much better security engineer once you get CCNP:S. With R&S, you would have better understanding of what would happen if you would implement a security feature or device. For example, like putting ASA between two authenticated BGP peers.

You can do R&S labs using VIRL or GNS3 + a physical switch.