Options

Should I study for MCSA Server 2016 now?

morkethmorketh Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am starting to think about studying to get my MCSA and I see now that MCSA Server 2016 has just came out recently.
I assume I should study for that since I have not even started on 2012 correct?

Only thing that makes me sad is I am sure there aren't many resources out there for 2016 just yet.

Comments

• Options
    AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    2012 will still be valuable for quite some time. Most companies aren't going to immediately upgrade to 2016 so it would still be worth it in my opinion to get the 2012 MCSA and then upgrade to the 2016 at a later time. But it all depends on what your goals are really. As you've already stated as well, there aren't very many study resources available yet for the 2016 so if you have relatively little experience with Microsoft Server Operating Systems it may be a better idea to stick with the 2012. That's my 2 cents at least. I hope that helps and good luck!
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Do you have an IT job right now? If so, I would study for whatever your company is using. (or whatever they plan on using in the recent future)
  • Options
    poolmanjimpoolmanjim Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Remember the 2016 Exams are still being vetted. They are still being developed according to Microsoft's exam page which means they are in beta. Beta is where they sort out the questions some and try to make them not insane. After better there will be month/years of development on the exams to refine them. There is a very good chance that this early on there will be questions that are flat out wrong and unable to be answered correctly. It will take time for Microsoft to sort those out.

Also, AndersonSmith is right. The 2016 resources are find it on technet, lab it, and hope that some of the guides and ebooks that Microsoft has published are enough. We'll have more content for it after it is released later this month.

I would say to go ahead and focus your efforts on the 2012 content. The two servers aren't vastly different and a lot of the 2012 content will translate to 2016 should you decide to go that road later on.
    2019 Goals: Security+
    2020 Goals: 70-744, Azure
    Completed: MCSA 2012 (01/2016), MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure (07/2017), MCSA 2017 (09/2017)
    Future Goals: CISSP, CCENT
  • Options
    AlexMAlexM Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Stick with 2012, there are plenty of resources available now and lots of experience in the field to take advantage of.

Once you are familiar with 2016 and exam resources are available - upgrade.
  • Options
    alokin123alokin123 Member Posts: 268
    AlexM wrote: »
    Stick with 2012, there are plenty of resources available now and lots of experience in the field to take advantage of.

Once you are familiar with 2016 and exam resources are available - upgrade.

And once you finish your 2012 MCSA do the upgrade exam with the 2012 stuff still fresh in your mind as the upgrade exam will cover off the basics and new stuff for 2016. I sat the beta 2016 exam. It would have been a lot easier if the 2012 stuff was still fresh in my mind.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Do 2012.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
  • Options
    ccnaomkarccnaomkar Member Posts: 187 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Do MCSA 2012 and then Upgrade to 2016 by giving single exam.
    So you will have both 2012 and 2016 on your resume.
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    MCSE 2012 based exams will be retired on March 31, 2017. I'd wait and just go for 2016.

They will start to have books on the 2016 exams on amazon after the first of the year.
  • Options
    Ugly-051Ugly-051 Member Posts: 63 ■■■□□□□□□□
    kiki162 wrote: »
    MCSE 2012 based exams will be retired on March 31, 2017. I'd wait and just go for 2016.

They will start to have books on the 2016 exams on amazon after the first of the year.

Have you got a source for this kiki162? I don't believe the exams themselves are set to retire soon as per https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/learning/retired-certification-exams.aspx but maybe as per the latest news the certificate will be different.
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    There's a bit of a discrepancy on both pages. I'd bring that up to the MS folks on this page below.

https://borntolearn.mslearn.net/b/weblog/posts/microsoft-streamlines-technical-certifications

It sounds like all of the "MCSE: Server Infrastructure" based exams will no longer be available to take after that date. However your page states the upgrade exams.
  • Options
    Ugly-051Ugly-051 Member Posts: 63 ■■■□□□□□□□
    kiki162 wrote: »
    There's a bit of a discrepancy on both pages. I'd bring that up to the MS folks on this page below.

https://borntolearn.mslearn.net/b/weblog/posts/microsoft-streamlines-technical-certifications

It sounds like all of the "MCSE: Server Infrastructure" based exams will no longer be available to take after that date. However your page states the upgrade exams.

That site covers MS exams in general, it may be updated soon to reflect the given recent news.