CCNA Security harder than CCNP R&S?

KoolsterKoolster Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi. I am currently studying for my Icnd2 and hope to have to my CCNA RS soon. After getting CCNA RS, is it better to go for CCNP R&S or CCNA security?

I have heard that CCNA Security is harder than CCNP and it's better to go for CCNP R&S before going for CCNA Security, since it's will be easier to understand after getting CCNP R&S.

Can somebody shed some light on the difficulty of CCNA security vs CCNP R&S? Thanks.

Comments

• TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I don't think CCNP:R&S will make CCNA:Security easier to understand. Granted the exam has changed but CCNA:R&S covered routing and switching information needed....and the rest was security based material (not R&S related).

Are you working in a security role? Frankly, I would go for CCNP:R&S first just to have that solid foundation so you can start venturing down the security path if you want....and probably can land a networking job while you study for security.
  • KoolsterKoolster Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    No, I am just doing deskside support at the moment. I am studying for ICND2 right now, but I will like to change jobs after getting my CCNA. I am just thinking which path to take first, CCNP RS or CCNA security. I would want to go for CCNP RS firs, but it involves 3 exams, whereas CCNA security is just one exam.
  • CE1028CE1028 Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Koolster wrote: »
    No, I am just doing deskside support at the moment. I am studying for ICND2 right now, but I will like to change jobs after getting my CCNA. I am just thinking which path to take first, CCNP RS or CCNA security. I would want to go for CCNP RS firs, but it involves 3 exams, whereas CCNA security is just one exam.

I think CCNA Security would be a good next step. CCNP R&S is harder than CCNA Security. I think maybe people say the CCNA Security is harder because there was problems with the exam questions (at least when I took it).

Since you're doing deskside support right now, I'd say go CCNA Security and then move on to CCNP R&S (if you want).
  • HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do your CCNA Security first. Once you hit CCNP you will not have to focus as much time on the security parts because you will already know it. CCNP is a beast and takes a lot of commitment and dedication to learn it thoroughly. CCNA:S can be knocked out in a month of prep. CCNP, most people start it and never finish. CCNA, you have to "know of" the technologies where as CCNP you have to "know" the technology.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • KoolsterKoolster Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks a lot guys! I will go for my CCNA Security after I finish my ICND2. It seems like a logical choice. I was getting confused which one to tackle first. Many thanks :)