Configurations to master for CCNA

loboernestoloboernesto Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,
I was trying to make a list of configurations to master so as to be ready for the CCNA sims and related questions. I've quickly written the following:
- Basic router configuration: hostname, password, etc.
- Interfaces' Ip configuration: Ip, mask, etc
- Routing protocols: static, default routes and all the routing protocols.
- ACLs: standard, extended and named
- VLAN configuration
- VTP
- Inter-VLAN configuration
- PPP
- CHAP and PAP
- Frame-relay
- ISDN: legacy DDR (are dialer profiles tested in CCNA??)

Well that's what comes out of my mind right now.. I'm sure I'm missing a few. Could you please add what you think should be mastered for the exam? It would be very helpful for me to have a kind of configuration checklist so I can rate them from 1 to 3 being
1 mastered
2 need more practice
3 read material, concepts and practice.

Thank a lot. I hope this helps others as well.

Ernesto

Comments

• david_rdavid_r Member Posts: 112
    Add NAT to your list
  • bmaurobmauro Member Posts: 307
    STP - another big one

Know how to quickly locate the root bridge, figure out which ports on non-root bridges will the root ports, and know which ports are designated ports and which will be blocking.

Also - if changes are made to the STP topology (priorities & port costs) know how those changes effect the switches.
  • loboernestoloboernesto Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'll add DHCP, it's in the CNAP and apparently in the exams...
    cheers
  • steve-o87steve-o87 Member Posts: 274
    Learn it all down to a tee :D

It may sound over the top but when you get to your Professional level certs it will do a world of good to have the basic level knowledge of these things.
    I hear everyone saying that you should forget about ISDN for the CCNA (Im also guilty here) icon_sad.gif But it is heavily emphasized on the current BCRAN.

If you are 100% sure for this exam the others will be a breeze icon_thumright.gificon_thumright.gif

Good Luck
    I am the lizard King. I can do anything.
  • bmaurobmauro Member Posts: 307
    I'm kind of in the same boat. I have no problem learning the nitty gritty about a subject becuase most of this is the foundation for my future with networking and cisco - BUT I can't stand ISDN.

I'm too young to have had any real world expireince with it, and it's a dying technology which means I'll probably never work with it.

The good news is YES you do need to know it for the current BCRAN, but from what I understand that test is expiring this December and being replaced with ISCW.

Here's the blueprint - notice that ISDN has been completely REMOVED :D

642-825 ISCW

Implement basic teleworker services.
    Describe Cable (HFC) technologies.
    Describe xDSL technologies.
    Configure ADSL (i.e., PPPoE or PPPoA).
    Verify basic teleworker configurations.

Implement Frame-Mode MPLS.
    Describe the components and operation of Frame-Mode MPLS (e.g., packet-based MPLS VPNs).
    Configure and verify Frame-Mode MPLS.

Implement a site-to-site IPSec VPN
    Describe the components and operations of IPSec VPNs and GRE Tunnels.
    Configure a site-to-site IPSec VPN/GRE Tunnel with SDM (i.e., preshared key).
    Verify IPSec/GRE Tunnel configurations (i.e., IOS CLI configurations).
    Describe, configure, and verify VPN backup interfaces.
    Describe and configure Cisco Easy VPN solutions using SDM.

Describe network security strategies.
    Describe and mitigate common network attacks (i.e., Reconnaissance, Access, and Denial of Service).
    Describe and mitigate Worm, Virus, and Trojan Horse attacks.
    Describe and mitigate application-layer attacks (e.g., management protocols).

Implement Cisco Device Hardening
    Describe, Configure, and verify AutoSecure/One-Step Lockdown implementations (i.e., CLI and SDM).
    Describe, configure, and verify AAA for Cisco Routers.
    Describe and configure threat and attack mitigation using ACLs.
    Describe and configure IOS secure management features (e.g., SSH, SNMP, SYSLOG, NTP, Role-Based CLI, etc.)

Implement Cisco IOS firewall.
    Describe the functions and operations of Cisco IOS Firewall (e.g., Stateful Firewall, CBAC, etc.).
    Configure Cisco IOS Firewall with SDM.
    Verify Cisco IOS Firewall configurations (i.e., IOS CLI configurations, SDM Monitor).

Describe and configure Cisco IOS IPS.
    Describe the functions and operations of IDS and IPS systems (e.g., IDS/IPS signatures, IPS Alarms, etc.)
    Configure Cisco IOS IPS using SDM.
  • HELLZxPHADERHELLZxPHADER Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    to pass ccna simulation configurations, make sure u can apply single area ospf and rip version 1 correctly, forgot if there were any others. Know how to address serial links with the /30 mask unless instructed to do differently, know how to remove commands with the "no" option. Be able to verify configurations with show and ping commands. Remember to copy run start on each router b4 moving on.
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Remember to copy run start on each router b4 moving on.
    Good habit, but not required to get full credit on the exam.
  • HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    CCNA was a breeeze compared to these professional level certs....Ahh the CCNA days :D
    Now working full time!