Options

SecureWorld Expo

GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
Has anyone been to a SecureWorld Expo? I was thinking about going to the one in Denver coming up and I wanted an opinion on it. Is it good hands on information? Is it worth it to get the upgraded pass or is the $30 entrance fee good enough? Any other opinions on the conference? My background is networking, but I don't have much experience on cyber security but that's what I want to get into. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    Honestly, it depends on what you're hoping to get out of it.

SecureWorld isn't an in-depth technical conference like BlackHat/DefCon, B-Sides, or others. Instead, expect to hear a lot of high-level talks given by some of the thought leaders in the security space. The SecureWorld Expo event for Dallas was a few days ago, and Larry Ponemon spoke about the costs of insider threat, there was another on the importance of sharing threat intel, and some other fairly interesting ones. The catch is that most of the speakers are also employed by product vendors, so their talks are given through the lens of how the products their company makes provide the silver bullet to your security problems.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I attended it back in March, very beneficial for getting into security in my experience.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm going this Wednesday. Going over the itinerary, I'm hoping I get a few ideas for security policies. Seems like it's geared more towards that rather than the technical side of things like dmoore said.
  • Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    GeekyChick,

This depends on your knowledge of Information Security. You may want to go to network with others.
    There are some very technical talks but most are higher level. YMMV as it depends on the speakers and their topics. I have been going for quite some time and use it for the CPE's and to networking.
    There are 20% discounts for ISSA and (ISC)2 members.

Good Luck. If you decide to go, have a good time.
  • Options
    GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thank you all! I appreciate your willingness to share info and experiences. I've signed up and I'm going on Wednesday.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'll be there tomorrow, too. Hope to see markulous and you, OP.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me