Frame-Relay impact on GRE Tunnels?

Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi Everyone,
Does Frame-Relay have any impact on GRE Tunnels? I am labbing some tunnels up and they seem to work everywhere but where they pass through a Frame-Relay. If so is there a solution to this? I dont think this is covered in the R&S CCNA or CCNP official books.

Thanks so much!

Comments

• negru_tudornegru_tudor Member Posts: 473 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hmmm..can't say off the top of my head, but maybe you need to do a static frame-relay map on both routers to bind the Tunnel Interface IPs to the interface DLCIs? I'll try to lab it tomorrow and will let you know :) Interesting topic.
    2017-2018 goals:
    [X] CIPTV2 300-075
    [ ] SIP School SSCA
    [X] CCNP Switch 300-115 [X] CCNP Route 300-101 [X] CCNP Tshoot 300-135
    [ ] LPIC1-101 [ ] LPIC1-102 (wishful thinking)
  • DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Post the output of show ip interface brief, show frame-relay lmi , show frame-relay pvc, show frame-relay map. It should work.
  • negru_tudornegru_tudor Member Posts: 473 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Okay, i tested this now in GNS3 but I had no problem getting a GRE tunnel up over a Frame-Relay link. Maybe double check the tunnel source and destination statements again and the FR config ?
    2017-2018 goals:
    [X] CIPTV2 300-075
    [ ] SIP School SSCA
    [X] CCNP Switch 300-115 [X] CCNP Route 300-101 [X] CCNP Tshoot 300-135
    [ ] LPIC1-101 [ ] LPIC1-102 (wishful thinking)
  • Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey guys. Thanks! I'll try to post up some snaps and the topology when I get home later.
  • Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi Everyone,
    Here is the topology. Small change to the story: A tunnel on the edge of the frame-cloud works. A tunnel one hop further away from the cloud does not work. I have no idea why not. Any advise appreciated.

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    No frame relay has no impact. You're talking different layers here that have no interaction. Address resolution for the next hop could be an issue depending on your config though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.