Options

State of Texas seeks new CISO

tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
Listing is here: Chief Information Security Officer, 86

Pay is way up there for a state job. Having worked under a number of state CISOs at that particular agency, I can tell you that this is a high pressure position.

Comments

• Options
    RaystafarianRaystafarian Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    110 to 150K doesn't seem that far up there for government, a level below CISO in a City is around 120K. It is pretty high for a starting government salary though, if you plan on sticking it out for pension.
    Hit me up on LinkedIn - just mention you're from techexams.
  • Options
    110 to 150K doesn't seem that far up there for government, a level below CISO in a City is around 120K. It is pretty high for a starting government salary though, if you plan on sticking it out for pension.

The pay scale is $9316.08 to $12,500 monthly. It tops out at $150k. I don't know what other states pay, but this is high for Texas government in this position. Executive Director and General Counsel positions pay higher. The outgoing CISO was making about $140k.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Is it weird I envisioned this role requiring you to carry a big six shooter on your hip?
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    @tedjames - do you know how often the CISO position comes available?
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    KalabasterKalabaster Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dmoore44 wrote: »

Probably once per major breach
    Certifications: A+, Net+, Sec+, Project+, Linux+/LPIC-1/SUSE CLA, C|EH, eWPT, GMON, GWAPT, GCIH, eCPPT, GPEN, GXPN, OSCP, CISSP.
    WGU, BS-IT, Security: C178, C255, C100, C132, C164, C173, C172, C480, C455, ORA1, C182, C168, C394, C393, C451, C698, C697, C176, C456, C483, C170, C175, C169, C299, C246, C247, C376, C179, C278, C459, C463, C435, C436.
    Legend: Completed, In-Progress, Next
  • Options

I've worked security in the state for 10.5 years now. One CISO was there for five or so years, but then I remember one leaving after only a year. The current outgoing CISO was in that position for 1.5 years after serving as Deputy CISO for a few years before that. His predecessor was there for a little over two years. This job carries a lot of pressure, especially when the legislature is in session.
  • Options
    jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I live in Dallas and make 125K with 20% bonus on top. So I am already in that range and can only go up. I am a senior infosec manager for a large company. Surprised a CISO makes that little. Civilian side they make mid 200's in most cases unless it is a tiny little company
  • Options
    I live in Dallas and make 125K with 20% bonus on top. So I am already in that range and can only go up. I am a senior infosec manager for a large company. Surprised a CISO makes that little. Civilian side they make mid 200's in most cases unless it is a tiny little company

Gubment jobs, at least state, city, county, university, etc., (don't know about fed) in Texas typically pay less than private sector.
  • Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    markulous wrote: »
    Is it weird I envisioned this role requiring you to carry a big six shooter on your hip?
    'MURKA!

Kalabaster wrote: »
    Probably once per major breach
    icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    tedjames wrote: »
    Gubment jobs, at least state, city, county, university, etc., (don't know about fed) in Texas typically pay less than private sector.

Exactly. Even the federal CISO gets paid a comparatively paltry salary: Forbes Welcome

The state-level (or federal-level, for that matter) aren't jobs you take to get rich. They're jobs you take as a stepping stone, as a way to make a name for yourself, and to network with the political establishment. You make your money afterwords, by either taking a private sector CISO position, or by moving over in to consulting.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Few months back Facebook was looking for a new CISO. Which one do you think would be more stressful? Facebook CISO or Texas CISO?
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    $150k for a large state CISO job? I don't have to know what the going salary is in that region to know that's a dumpy salary. No wonder the last guy left.... You can't even get a mid-to-large-sized company infosec manager job in my area for that much, let alone an infosec director or CISO. for a CISO of Texas I wouldn't bat an eye at $250+. The problem with a low salary like $150k is you're basically only going to get guys who do it for a few years to bump up their resume before they leave for the $500k+ Fortune 100 positions. You're basically setting yourself up for failure and a constantly changing long-term security strategy
  • Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    Few months back Facebook was looking for a new CISO. Which one do you think would be more stressful? Facebook CISO or Texas CISO?
    I'd probably go with Texas being more stressful. Facebook has the budget to have a ton of people that report to you, and to hire high-level tech people.
  • Options
    Exactly. Even the federal CISO gets paid a comparatively paltry salary: Forbes Welcome

The state-level (or federal-level, for that matter) aren't jobs you take to get rich. They're jobs you take as a stepping stone, as a way to make a name for yourself, and to network with the political establishment. You make your money afterwords, by either taking a private sector CISO position, or by moving over in to consulting.

Dang! That's much lower than I would expect a federal-level CISO job to pay, especially when you consider the DC cost of living.

After many years in the corporate world with layoffs and such, I moved over to the public sector. Sure, the money's not as good, but I feel I'm making more of a difference in people's lives with the work I do. I'm not just working to make the big guy richer while living in fear of layoffs and outsourcing and all that stuff. However, I have known others who used gubment work as a stepping stone, and that worked well for them. That's part of the problem in the state. They can't compete with corporate world salaries, so it's difficult to keep people longterm.

By the way, a couple of Information Security Officer (ISO) jobs will be coming open in the state soon. Those salaries are lower depending on the agency. A friend at a 600+ person agency is making about $72k as their ISO. Another friend at a larger agency is making about $100k. Yet another at a smaller agency is making about $55k.
  • Options
    tedjames wrote: »
    Dang! That's much lower than I would expect a federal-level CISO job to pay, especially when you consider the DC cost of living.

I've been told more than once that there's law/policy that caps federal pay (i.e. executive branch career employees, political appointees, and high ranking military officers) at the level of a junior senator. I've never been able to find it in writing, but I've also never spent an appreciable amount of time looking. Given that, it doesn't surprise me that a state CISO (of any state, not just Texas) is getting paid less than the federal CISO.

I went the reverse route - I started off in the federal government and eventually worked my way over to the private sector. I'm not opposed to re-joining government at some point in my career, but I'm very happy where I am now.

I was kind of wondering what was meant by "senior level experience". I'm under no illusion that I qualify for the position now, but I may by the next time the position opens up.
  • Options
    RHELRHEL Member Posts: 195 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's pretty low, but probably because it's a state job.

I live in one of the lowest CoL areas in the country and we have ~15 or so IT directors (who report to a VP level person, which is lower than CISO). Most of them are making 150-200K + bonus. I work for a non-profit.
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    They're looking for an Entry level CISO.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Remedymp wrote: »
    They're looking for an Entry level CISO.

Lol that reminds me of the before and after pictures of the various Presidents. Get in the Office with dark hair and when they are out they are all grey. If someone was looking at this position as entry level, when they would get out they would have not only experience but grey hair too
  • Options
    KalabasterKalabaster Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    RHEL wrote: »
    That's pretty low, but probably because it's a state job.

I live in one of the lowest CoL areas in the country and we have ~15 or so IT directors (who report to a VP level person, which is lower than CISO). Most of them are making 150-200K + bonus. I work for a non-profit.

They looking for any more IT directors? Hehehe
    Certifications: A+, Net+, Sec+, Project+, Linux+/LPIC-1/SUSE CLA, C|EH, eWPT, GMON, GWAPT, GCIH, eCPPT, GPEN, GXPN, OSCP, CISSP.
    WGU, BS-IT, Security: C178, C255, C100, C132, C164, C173, C172, C480, C455, ORA1, C182, C168, C394, C393, C451, C698, C697, C176, C456, C483, C170, C175, C169, C299, C246, C247, C376, C179, C278, C459, C463, C435, C436.
    Legend: Completed, In-Progress, Next
  • Options
    RaystafarianRaystafarian Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Lol that reminds me of the before and after pictures of the various Presidents. Get in the Office with dark hair and when they are out they are all grey. If someone was looking at this position as entry level, when they would get out they would have not only experience but grey hair too

Seriously, it's ridiculous to look at US presidents before/after two terms. I mean I know it's 8 years, but it seems like 20
    Hit me up on LinkedIn - just mention you're from techexams.
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□

They could always get their CISO certification or put it on their resume as "in progress"...
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Seriously, it's ridiculous to look at US presidents before/after two terms. I mean I know it's 8 years, but it seems like 20

Honestly, I think the main reason we see presidents like Bush, Clinton and Obama go grey and visibly age is because they came into term during their late adulthood in mid 40s, and by the time we see them leave office they're well into their 50s.

It's not a matter of Obama going from a young stud to a stressed, wrinkled, greying borderline grandpa. It's a matter of Obama coming into office at 46 or 47 and going to 55 as of today.