Programming for Sys Admins

daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
PowerShell has opened up many more opportunities to automate various tasks. I've been using it extensively for a couple years and have started to really enjoy it.

I'm looking next to learn C# and pass the 70-483 exam, but I only want to use in a support capacity for administration. I'm not interested in becoming a full time "programmer".

For other sys admins, have you considered learning a programming language to help with administration tasks, and if so what?

Comments

• gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm comfortable with cmd shell and powershell, not sure what C# can give PoSh can't. Automate all and every repetitive task.

I was a programmer in the past though.
  • daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was thinking about using C# to build GUI apps for running PowerShell functions. I guess its not really a need as an admin, but would be a nice skillset to add.
  • Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I been using Python and Perl as a network engineer for about a year now. They are really helpful. Especially when combined with CRON. I recently started learning C/C++. They are neat but unless you need a program to be very high performance, Python will get the job done.

After learning a high level language that does something in 8 lines of code (Python), it is a real buzz kill to have to write the same instructions in 50 lines (C).
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Interesting post....

I find myself limited with SSIS not having the strong scripting background in VB. Since I know VBA fairly well I am going to focus more on that language so i can ramp up faster, I agree having some C# to script is a big asset.

However I am in the midst of going through the MCSA so it will have to wait until that nightmare is over.
  • Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    'VB is the only language I don't like. I have to use it once in a while. But since it can not run server side and cant be a run as a client side exectuable. . . . Just really limits it IMO. It kills me to open up a program as big as Excel to run a 1k size script.