Failed

sysadmin101sysadmin101 Member Posts: 31 ■□□□□□□□□□
I took Sec+ and failed. I got 697. I am studying for retake. I took A+ and wanted to give Sec+ a shot.
The questions were hard. Any advice from those who passed.

Comments

• Infosec85Infosec85 Member Posts: 192 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What resources did you use? And do you have any networking experience?
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Don't the Comptia tests give you a print out of how well you did on different subjects on the test?
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Darrill Gibson's book and online resources helped me on the second try.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • sysadmin101sysadmin101 Member Posts: 31 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I used Darrill Gibson's book and Professor messer videos. I have about 5 years network experience.
  • Nik 99Nik 99 Member Posts: 154 ■■■□□□□□□□
    just out of interest how long had you been studying for this? I'm going for security+ next, so if you got any pointers do tell.
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I studied for Sec+ for 9 mos (I wanted to make sure I passed the 1st time)...I used CompTIA's CertMaster online software questions (over 800 of them), watched Professor Messer's monthly live feed & bought his $10 comprehensive notes & watched majority of his YouTube videos. I also read through Mike Meyers book, ISBN: 9780071836449, and then went through all practice questions on CompTIA"s Security+ practice exams, ISBN: 9780071833448. Also, on your next attempt, I would go through the entire exam & answer all questions you "FOR SURE KNOW" and then go back & answer the tougher questions...I even skipped the performance based questions till the end too...Best of luck on your next exam! Cheers!
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
    shochan wrote: »
    I studied for Sec+ for 9 mos (I wanted to make sure I passed the 1st time)...I used CompTIA's CertMaster online software questions (over 800 of them), watched Professor Messer's monthly live feed & bought his $10 comprehensive notes & watched majority of his YouTube videos. I also read through Mike Meyers book, ISBN: 9780071836449, and then went through all practice questions on CompTIA"s Security+ practice exams, ISBN: 9780071833448. Also, on your next attempt, I would go through the entire exam & answer all questions you "FOR SURE KNOW" and then go back & answer the tougher questions...I even skipped the performance based questions till the end too...Best of luck on your next exam! Cheers!

Thank you.
    Yes I skipped and flagged all performance based questions then went back and answered them once i was done. I will check some of the books you recommended.

I used Messer videos, Darrell Gibson book, sybex study guide

• NEODREAMNEODREAM Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Darril Gibson's website also offers premium content that contains practice tests/quizzes that are very helpful.
    Goal: eJPT Mar. 2020 | GDAT May 2020 | eCPPT Dec. 2020
    NEODREAM wrote: »
    Darril Gibson's website also offers premium content that contains practice tests/quizzes that are very helpful.

Thank you. I will take a look at his website. Sec+ is hard but i am not giving up.
  • davidb1davidb1 Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    How close are the Darril Gibson's website premium questions to the exam?
  • KandinskyKandinsky Member Posts: 108 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is how I passed my Sec+:

- Go over Darril Gibsons book if you can.
    - Use practice tests to test your knowledge (I recommend MeasureUp over ExamCompass but paid for):
    IT Certification Practice Tests and Exams | Online Courses | MeasureUp (Paid for but excellent)
    CompTIA Security+ Practice Test Questions (Free but not as detailed or structured)

Advice for the exam:
    - SKIP the simulation questions until last. They may pop up at the very start and catch you offguard. They take the most time to complete so leave them until later (there's usually only 2 or 3).

+1 on the practice tests. I used measureup also for mine and I feel like it really helped me to hone my test answering skills beyond just if I had read the material or watched videos. What I did was practice until I could take the practice tests and pass 4 times in a row with a score of 90% or better. I feel that was integral to my success. Definitely Darrill's book was a valuable resource as well.

As for simulations, I remember having about 6 or 7 and they were all at the very beginning of the test, one after the other. I remember feeling somewhat overwhelmed by the increasing complexity of each simulation, but somehow I made it through and the rest was all multiple choice. Make sure you budget your time and don't rush, but also don't waste too much time on one question.
  • Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241
    NEODREAM wrote: »

This.

His questions are very close to the exam questions.
    Current: OSCP

Next: CCNP (R&S and Sec)

Follow my OSCP Thread!
  • Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241
    Know how to apply technical controls inside a basic network (WAF, Firewall, Spam Filter, UTM).

Know how to identify certain attacks. (Smurf attack specifically).

Know how to identify SQL Injection, XSS, XSRF.

Know how to prevent broadcast loops.

VPN, IPSEC, PFS.

And remember all your ports.
    Current: OSCP

Next: CCNP (R&S and Sec)

Follow my OSCP Thread!
  • twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Used Darill's book.
    great book.
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Study harder!
    See in the report in what you failed and review it.

Good luck! :)
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • KandinskyKandinsky Member Posts: 108 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow that many? I feel like I dodged a bullet in mine then! I thought it was the same amount for each test?

No joke. I was expecting you know, 3 or 4, but I literally got at least 6 maybe 7. Just my luck, I must have pulled all the available sims from the question pool. Oh well, it all worked out in the end heh.