Fake IRS call center raided in India

TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Excellent..
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Did they also pose as the Microsoft 'Help' Center?icon_lol.gif
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Alright i have been known to be naive every now and then, but how did they get away with it for so long?
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JustFred wrote: »
    Alright i have been known to be naive every now and then, but how did they get away with it for so long?

When people are desperate and in need they beleive a lot of things and are easily brainwashed,especially when you promise them that they will get paid well. In countriea like India, $100 is a lot of money, imagine what $1300 is to them, life changing for the poorer peole. So they fall for it easily especially when the boss says the contracts are real.
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162

This one always cracks me up:

http://nynerd.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/microsoft-tech-support.jpg

Nice to see threads like this. Those A-holes got what they deserved.
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    When people are desperate and in need they beleive a lot of things and are easily brainwashed,especially when you promise them that they will get paid well. In countriea like India, $100 is a lot of money, imagine what $1300 is to them, life changing for the poorer peole. So they fall for it easily especially when the boss says the contracts are real.

Exactly, I'm guessing a lot of these people who work on the phones at these are good people and do it because they have to, to feed their family and its only way to provide a better life for them. Take advantage of innocent people or have your family starve... Easy to forget how hard life is for most the people on this planet, while we live in a first world country and complain about bad cell phone signals and having to go to work. Hopefully they caught the people in charge.
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    TheFORCE wrote: »

I don't buy it as I was in this situation for many years and I know plenty of people who was in such a situation as well.

Food problem is more or less solved as of now for majority of people on earth so I doubt it's a life and death question in India. When I was 25 back in Russian Siberia I was getting about ~$32/month which was enough to buy simple food such as buckwheat and bread and my wife was getting about the same which we spent to pay for our shelter. Yet I didn't fall to the dark side, I worked my way up.

So if you are involved in criminal activity then f**k you, your place is in jail.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I definitely feel for the workers, but in the end the law is the law. I deal with a lot of online fraud and the fact that people fall for the scams truly amazes me. We were dealing with a Craigslist scam that involved many states and the use of prepaid debit cards. Craiglists specifically says do not purchase prepaid debit cards and provide them to anyone online. Yet, literally dozens of people were doing exactly that. Now on the flip side you have someone working that phone, getting more than ever before, and want people to believe you didn't think this was illegal? You knew. You might not want to believe it's the case, but you knew.

I had a call from people like this before and I read them the riot act. I work for the government, they wouldn't call you for back taxes there would be a letter, and I actually know several IRS Special Agents so I will call them to make sure I'm in the clear. That resulted in a hang up and no further calls.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    @ Verities: the Global Tech Support employee of the month from that pic is now the CEO... cough,cough...
  • tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□

Always fun messing with those guys