GSEC Questions

GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
There's an SEC401 class coming up in my town later this month. I was interested in going, but I wanted to see if anyone had done the class and test. I'm new to security, but I've been in networking for years in various capacities (although it was years and years ago). It sounds like it's an introductory class in security as long as you have a background in computers. Can anyone comment on the course and whether it is worthwhile for finding a job or how it compares to other entry level security certs? Thanks!

Comments

• 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Very introductory, also a bit different than things like Security+. Review the topic areas and see how much exposure you've had to them. SANS classes are expensive if you're already familiar (but not conversant) with the materials in each class. Also figure out your takeaways. If you are stuck in network-land, then do you really want to spend $1000 of your $6000 learning more about AD? What do you want to get out of this class, and, more importantly, how are you going to apply the topics?

Also consider, something like GMON or GCIH may be a better fit depending on your skill level and job responsibilities
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've seen some job postings in Denver which state that they are looking for Sec+, CASP, CISSP, and/or any GIAC certification. So, it may well be a good way to differentiate yourself from others with that cert.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So, maybe what I should ask is what would be your first cert if you were just starting out in security? The GSEC wasn't really on my radar until I saw that it was being offered in my area this month. I was going to take advantage of it if it was a good one. It is pretty pricey so I don't want to just blow $5k on it. Anyway, does any cert stand out as a good, beginning, hands-on one? And thanks I really do appreciate advice!
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Probably wouldn't use GSEC as my first infosec certification. I would probably get your feet wet with Security+ and then maybe SSCP...then consider GSEC. I have always found going high level certifications to more technical works better for me but to each their own.
  • CIOCIO Member Posts: 151
    I highly recommend the CompTIA Sec+ first before forking over 5k on the GSEC in order to get your feet wet.

IT security is a big domain. I would find out what area you are passionate about IT security and obtain certs in that area.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    GeekyChick wrote: »
    So, maybe what I should ask is what would be your first cert if you were just starting out in security? The GSEC wasn't really on my radar until I saw that it was being offered in my area this month.

If your employer is paying for it, go for it. If your paying for it, you be better off getting a security+ cert and a GCIH. Do worry about missing the SANS courses this year, they hold them so often, it will not be long before they visit a city, town or village near you again. If your experienced in IT, you should be able to study a security+ book and pass the exam.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yep, you're right. I think I'll pass on this class. I'm getting a little ahead of myself. This tech stuff has become my drug and I can't quite get enough of it. Could be addicted to worse things I guess.