Moving Offices

dfrancdfranc Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I have been asked to move a DC and computers from one office location to another. I have not done this before and so I am a bit out of depth, what steps do I need to take in order to make sure connectivity is working in the new location. Do I need to contact the ISP provider to put a line in, then reconnect the router, switch and computers? Not sure on how to setup the network in the new office.

Comments

• markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Have you looked into a 3rd party to assist? No offense, but it sounds like you're a bit over your head here. Not sure how much downtime is accounted for here either.
  • mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There are IT support / provider companies who can do that sort of thing. If you're out of your depth you might want to let your boss know before you mess up someone's business - downtime is not trivial. It only seems that way until stuff stops working, it doesn't take long for things to turn ugly.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I am curious, what size are we talking about here? 10, 100, 1000 users?
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Have really good backups and test the restores, procedures, etc. Expect 30 PERCENT of either drives or machines to fail after being moved for any real distance. That's just a fact. Servers that have been up and running for years tend to break during moves.

Been there, seen it, lived the dream.

- b/eads
  • dfrancdfranc Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I am curious, what size are we talking about here? 10, 100, 1000 users?

They only have 5 users at this particular office. I know the isp provider will need to provide a line in the new office. They have a Cisco DPC3825 router/modem and a SonicWall plus a cisco 800 switch. My concern is what should I be aware of when connecting the equipment back up in the new office?
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would say getting in touch with the ISP for the static IP address that'll be assigned at the new office would be the first step.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • dfrancdfranc Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    I would say getting in touch with the ISP for the static IP address that'll be assigned at the new office would be the first step.

That's what I am going to do, which then will give me a different subnet correct? I will then need to change the IP settings of the server, and then make the connection from this dc to the other main dc correct?
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It depends. Often they'll give you a static or DHCP. If they give you static, that'll be the only IP you can use. That being said, I've had AT&T give me a /29, which has 6 usable public IP's. If it's DHCP though, you can just program your firewall/router to be pointing to that IP. If everything is setup correctly, all you'll need to do is change whatever you're using that connects to the internet (firewall/router).
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S