Passed the CEHv9 today: 27 August 2016

whoknewwhoknew Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
Best of luck on the exam to everyone. After passing the CISSP back on July 16th (5 months of prep), studied 3 hours a night on week nights & about 10 hours on Saturdays & Sundays for 5 weeks for this exam. I passed CEHv9 this afternoon. Here's what I used:

1. Sybex CEHv9 Study Guide (lots of questions/practice exams on-line)
2. Sybex CEHv9 Practice Tests Book (even MORE questions/practice exams on-line)
3. Skillset Pro (took 5 or 6 of their 150 question practice tests)
4. 12 week Penetration Testing course w/ labs at local community college
5. Watched a ton of Mr. Robot....especially the exploits

Also, look at BuzzSaw's comments in some of the other CEH threads.....very sound advice in study topics. Some of the questions are ridiculously easy followed by an incredibly obscure protocol, tool, exploit, vulnerability or whatever.

This exam is a no holds barred, everything is fair game & on the table, the rules are there are no rules kinda test with respect to the scope of the content. Nonetheless, it's very doable with a little study.icon_study.gif
"I got a BAD feeling about this..."

What's Next: CISM, CompTIA CySA+ & PenTest+, OSCP, CCNP Security, GSEC, GPEN

Comments

• ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    whoknew wrote: »
    Best of luck on the exam to everyone. After passing the CISSP back on July 16th (5 months of prep), studied 3 hours a night on week nights & about 10 hours on Saturdays & Sundays for 5 weeks for this exam. I passed CEHv9 this afternoon. Here's what I used:

1. Sybex CEHv9 Study Guide (lots of questions/practice exams on-line)
    2. Sybex CEHv9 Practice Tests Book (even MORE questions/practice exams on-line)
    3. Skillset Pro (took 5 or 6 of their 150 question practice tests)
    4. 12 week Penetration Testing course w/ labs at local community college
    5. Watched a ton of Mr. Robot....especially the exploits

Also, look at BuzzSaw's comments in some of the other CEH threads.....very sound advice in study topics. Some of the questions are ridiculously easy followed by an incredibly obscure protocol, tool, exploit, vulnerability or whatever.

This exam is a no holds barred, everything is fair game & on the table, the rules are there are no rules kinda test with respect to the scope of the content. Nonetheless, it's very doable with a little study.icon_study.gif

Congrats! How would you compare it to the difficulty of then CASP?
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats!
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats! And kudos on listing Mr. Robot as a study aid.
  • resilientresilient Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congrats! I'm just starting out now....wish me luck! Out of interest - how did you apply Mr Robot 'real-life' hacks to your studies. Reason I ask is because v9 is the 'new syllabus' so what aspects of Mr R came into mind?
  • BuzzSawBuzzSaw Member Posts: 259 ■■■□□□□□□□
    whoknew wrote: »

Congrats and thanks for the mention! Glad I could help out!

Also, props on the Mr Robot reference - freaking love that show!

So whats next?
  • whoknewwhoknew Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry for delayed answer to a very fair question....been caught up in this CCNA Cyber Ops mind game (got 27/30 on assessment) AND I got bored so I did the VMware Certified Associate 6 - Network Virtualization cert.

CASP & CEH are very similar in degree of obscure knowledge but I NEVER would have passed the CEH without the community college course, the Sybex books & Mr. Robot. A former co-worker & technical advisor for the show has been beating on me to watch it for a year & I couldn't have picked a better time to do so. We had long conversations about the exploits, their origins & the incredible amount of social engineering that goes on. Those chats were invaluable. The CISSP prep was also critical in covering that overlap with the CEH.

Like I said in response to Ertaz, got bored, did the VCA6-NV....gonna sit the VCP6-NV on Friday, October 21st. I WISH that the next thing I would be doing would be the 2 CCNA Cyber Ops courses & certification exams but we'll ALL have to wait a little longer to find out who makes the cut. Otherwise, I'll start on the 4 CCNP Security courses/exams later this year.

What about you? It looks like its about VCAP time for you, no???

The LAN Turtle, Rubber Ducky, Pineapple & Kali ALL perform either recon, exploit or exfiltration tasks that are covered in the course blueprint. Once you've seen these things in action on the show AND hopefully practiced a bit on your home gear, the exam is easy from the point of view of those types of questions (which may seem tricky at first). The difficult bit is the memorization of SOOOOO many ports, their uses & most importantly how they can be exploited. Before you take the exam, go binge on 8 hours of Mr. Robot & see if you REALLY grasp the details of the exploits. If you don't (& only you will know), then you might wanna go over the material again.

Stagefright....you gotta be kidding me, right? How is that still a thing???

• DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□