Experience & Endorsement

d3s3rtf0xd3s3rtf0x Member Posts: 29 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all, I've got a dilemma in deciding what is my best option (CISSP or SSCP). My job experience falls into more than 2 domains of CISSP but I'm not sure if that would count. I'm really looking for some guidance here. I know I already have more than enough for SSCP. Plus I hold a BSc in Computer Science and MSc in Management Information Systems.

I have over 6 years (cumulative) working experience where I do the following as part of my job:

* Internal network maintenance and troubleshooting / patch & updates management for desktop / servers
* Switches / Routers and firewall configuration & maintenance / patch
* Microsoft Exchange user management
* MS Office 365 Business portal administration
* SharePoint 2013 administration
* Trend Micro WFBS - Cloud portal administration
* Asset management
* Asset Security
* Windows Server 2008 R2 - Active Directory administration
* Cloud based bespoke software administration
* Security policy, standard, guideline - application / enforcement / maintenance / annual security review & presentation
* Identity management - identity & authentication of devices assigned to users

Although my job title has never been along the lines which is suggested on ISC2 website, do you think my experience above will suffice to fulfill the CISSP requirements and eventually ISC2 will endorse me (PS - i don't know any member of ISC2 who can endorse me).

Any comments / feedback would be really helpful.

Many thanks

Comments

• TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You have a lot of experience, your experience covers more than 2 domains, has nothing to do with job title. You should be fine.
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think you have enough experience for CISSP.

Regarding endorsement, please refer to https://www.isc2.org/endorsement.aspx:

If you do not know an (ISC)² certified professional in good standing, (ISC)² can act as an endorser for you.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • d3s3rtf0xd3s3rtf0x Member Posts: 29 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks both for your feedback. that's really helpful. I feel confident now to continue with exam preps.
  • bradbunch33bradbunch33 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    d3s3rtf0x wrote: »
    thanks both for your feedback. that's really helpful. I feel confident now to continue with exam preps.

Even if you don't think you have the experience required to get endorsed, you can still sit for the exam. If you pass the exam, then you will become an Associate of ISC², and they will allow you UP TO 6 years to get the experience you would need to gain endorsement.
  • mudflapsmudflaps Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Get it out of the way and do the CISSP. You'd take the SSCP, pass, then instantly start wondering about the CISSP.
  • trueshrewkmctrueshrewkmc Member Posts: 107
    Looks like CISSP worthy experience to me. Keep a copy of your resume/CV handy while studying for the CISSP. Then mark job duties on your resume/CV with the related domains. When you enter your Job History for the endorsement process, you are required to select which domain(s) by name that apply for each job. I used the table of contents from Conrad's 11th Hour Guide to pick domains, but it doesn't hurt to think about it while studying.

It also becomes a "done deal" if you prepare your endorsement while studying. If you didn't *know* that you would pass, you wouldn't work on your endorsement, right?
  • d3s3rtf0xd3s3rtf0x Member Posts: 29 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That's exactly what I'm doing right now - although I'm in the early stages of preps but I thought it would be good if I highlighted as many domains as I can since I have to send my endorsement form to (ISC)2 myself....

Thanks very much!