Passed SSCP

RepliconReplicon Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
I finally passed SSCP.

To be honest, I did not expect the exam to be that hard. Probably hard is not the right word but tricky is the right one.
It was strange as some questions were so easy and you needed like 15sec to answer them and some I would reread them like 5 times and still not being able to decide between two similar options.

Having done previously like 20 Microsoft exams, CEH, ITIL, VCP etc, this exam what something a bit different. At moments I thought I will fail for sure... but here I am ... survived.

Anyway, a bit about my preparations.

1. Watched Pluralsight SSCP and Security + video materials (probably waste of time)
2. Read and reread SSCP Alll in One guide from Darril Gibson Second edition. This book was really good, I choose this based on the reviews on this forum.
3. Did the questions from the official isc exam guide (2nd Ed 2011 y) and found out I am lacking some knowledge in certain areas and read 3-4 chapters from it. Based on the review on this forum regarding this book, was a bit scared about reading this book, but I find it interesting, the style is a bit hard but if you already know the principles its a good read.
4. A week or so ago before the exam went through the exam questions form Sybex SSCP Offiial Study guide Second Edition by George B. Murphy, they have simulation test 125 question, and I found that i did not knew some of them i.e there were areas that I have not covered and start reading that book. Interestingly this in my opinion is the best book to prepare SSCP, its like 877 pages but its really good. There are lot of areas that were not covered in the All in One book.

Now this is behind me thankfully, looking to take Security + next, and yes need to do endorsement process. Any ideas where to find SSCP/CISSP in good standing to endorse me?

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats on the pass!
  • RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats. But, why would you take SY0-401 now? Seems odd and redundant.
  • RepliconReplicon Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well I am asking myself that question :) I am not sure if it is worth having security+ on top of SSCP.
    The only reason I could think of is that Sec+ is better to have for job oportunity i.e if you search by certificate on indeed or any other job website sec+ has almost double the jobs ads.... and second reason is the my employer wants to pay fro sec+ but not SSCP, so I paid for SSCP out of my pocket and can get sec+ for free :) but still in doubt should I take it
  • ivandavidsivandavids Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass.
  • RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Replicon wrote: »
    Well I am asking myself that question :) I am not sure if it is worth having security+ on top of SSCP.
    The only reason I could think of is that Sec+ is better to have for job oportunity i.e if you search by certificate on indeed or any other job website sec+ has almost double the jobs ads.... and second reason is the my employer wants to pay fro sec+ but not SSCP, so I paid for SSCP out of my pocket and can get sec+ for free :) but still in doubt should I take it

You would be better off going after the GCIH or GCED.
  • TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations on the pass!

Although I agree about the redundancy the Sec+ may get you through some filters that the others will not in some sectors. At least that is my thought on it.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • RepliconReplicon Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ouch... they are pricey... Both seems like a nice certs... yeah I guess I'll keep them in the shortlist
  • NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! That is the next exam for me, after Security+.

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • TankerTTankerT Member Posts: 132
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Speaking as someone who earned Security+ first and followed it with SSCP, if you have SSCP, you don't need to earn Security+. Go for something higher level next.

By the way, I noticed that you already have SSCP listed in your Certifications section on your profile, yet you're asking for an endorser. You should remove SSCP from your list. You're not really certified until your endorsement process is complete and ISC2 has sent you your paper. Unless the rules have changed in the last year, you may want to remove SSCP from your profile, resume, LinkedIn, etc., until the process it complete.