Options

Google Fi - Anyone Using It?

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
Thinking about paying off my phone and jumping to Google Fi (from Verizon) when the Pixel comes out. Anyone using Google Fi? Just looking to get some opinions. Currently paying $111 a month for one phone and can get down to $70 a month (probably less) with Google Fi.
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I just did the same and moved from Verizon to Google Fi last month. I only remember one spot I've hit with spotty service, off some back roads down in a valley, but for the most part its been just as good as Verizon. I signed up for the 2GB plan ($40) and halfway through this month I'm only at .5GB used so will likely get $10 credit. I even ended up traveling this month for a week so was away from the home wifi for a bit, but the hotel had wifi, so did the train, restaurants etc. Hard to find a place without wifi in the city these days!

Overall I'm happy so far with the price and service so far.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sweet! Thanks for the review!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thoughts on using Fi with an iPhone?
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You can't. Has to be one of the one of Supported Devices.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    GreaterNinjaGreaterNinja Member Posts: 271
    We^ use verizon, t-mobile, sprint/virgin mobile, and google fi.

I notice bandwidth speed on my google fi phone is 1/2 the speed of my ipad 4g on t-mobile. This is in the Bay Area.

For coverage and quality, Verizon is best. For cost savings Tmobile, virgin mobile (rooted phone), or google-fi would be good.

Google Fi's strength is affordability, software/os updates, and easy sync with your google stuff, international internet, sms, and text in most countries. I have had google fi for about a year now and have not received any insane bills like on t-mobile. Also, last year Google sent me a usb-c cable and this lego-like toy for a gift. Even though my nexus did not take the usb-c cable, I was happy.

Google Fi's weakness was slow internet internationally, bad gps internationally. 128k-256kbps internet in Korea, Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong. I just bought an extra SIM card in each country due to how slow it was.