Security+ SY0-401 Experience

PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
So I've had my Security+ since 12/28/10, right before they ended the "Certified for Life" program. I had been postponing for as long as possible NOT to renew my A+, Network+, and Security+, because of the CE requirements. Well, I recently signed an offer of employment as a contractor for the government, which requires the new Security+CE certification.

I took the exam about 2 hours ago, and I must say... WOW... that test is HARD! I passed with an 816/900, but I can almost guarantee if I didn't already have my CEHv8 and MS Security degree (from WGU), I would've failed. They were pressuring me to get this cert passed ASAP, so I spent 2 weeks studying. Additionally, after I finished all the questions, I didn't realize they started me off with Question #2. I saw a big checkmark saying #1 was incomplete, so I had to go back and answer that question.

Study materials:

Skillport (pre-recorded video series and practice test)
CBTNuggets
Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College

Comments

• cbdcbd Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! I don't have any Sec experience and it was very hard for me. I'm sure you're glad to get that one over with.
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!! Really nice score!!
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • JADEMOVESJADEMOVES Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That's great! I'm studying now and I am so nervous. Even though I am very familiar with the terms from working IT in the military, the test still intimidates me. I will study hard like you did!
  • NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Awesome score!!

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Cheers!
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    When I took the Security+ back in December of 2010, it was during my Security+ class in college (which the instructor wasn't very helpful). I had the current exam book (SY0-201), which I studied exclusively. I didn't have much IT security experience, but my instructor told us at the beginning of the 11-week course that if any of us passed the exam, we wouldn't have to take the Final. So the night before the exam, I crammed the entire book, and slept for an hour before driving to the testing center. I got just above the passing score, which was fine for me, because I took the Network+, Security+, and Server+ that day (passed all 3).

As far as content, it was mainly about policies and procedures. VERY little technical from what I can remember. The only technical I can remember it having was being able to identify the type of virus based on its description. For the current exam, almost everything was technical, to the level of the CEH and CHFI exams. Personally I thought the Security+ exam was more difficult. I got high 90% on both CEH and CHFI, almost perfect scores. I could see getting a higher score on the Security+ if I had more resources. I've heard Darril Gibson is a great resource, from what I've read in other posts.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • ArchonArchon Member Posts: 183 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took the test yesterday and passed with 784. Its definitely not an easy exam. (REMOVED COMMENTS ABOUT THE EXAM) I finished the exam with about 5 mins left.
  • ultm8mindultm8mind Member Posts: 111
    Kind of lame they made you take the current Sec+ when you already had Sec+ but seems as if you have quite a bit of experience. Nonetheless another great accomplishment! Congrats!