In your opinion - Cert trending upward and downward

DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
***Note I don't have much insight but thought it would be fun to try to compile a list.

From my space certs trending up

SCRUM - Alliance (A lot of the dev positions and management position in my area seems to have this listed as preferred now, whereas a few years ago it was almost non existent). It's moved up for sure

The ITIL craze seems to have been subdued a little bit. A while back in my market everyone went wild over it the last two years it doesn't seem to have the desire or want from HR folks like in years back.

Have you noticed any changes in the last 1 - 2 years?

Comments

• SimridSimrid Member Posts: 327
    I've only been in the networking industry for 1 year, so excuse my ignorance. I have seen an increase in Juniper certifications/knowledge as well as checkpoint.
    Network Engineer | London, UK | Currently working on: CCIE Routing & Switching

sriddle.co.uk
    uk.linkedin.com/in/simonriddle
  • No_NerdNo_Nerd Banned Posts: 168
    I would agree wit the SCRUM for sure.

ITIL is still looked at with a smile if you are working in DOD . I can't speak to much on how the cert looks outside of DOD.
  • 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    CEH. Everybody around me is asking for CEH for some reason. Not sure who started that wildfire, but the demand is growing exponentially. Virtually every new job description nowadays by me asks for CISSP & CEH, regardless of what aspects of security the job actually covers.
  • mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Scrum & ceh have been around for a while, I'm surprised there's still a pronounced need for those certs. I've heard about the need for cloud & virtualization skills, not sure if that need is translating to the job ads. If I were chasing the "hot" cert, as opposed to certifying myself based on skill & experience I'd probably choose CCSP. Aren't there IT-tabloid articles that list this kind of thing?
  • rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I was a Certified Scrum Master for a while (got the cert when a company I worked for paid for it, but I let it lapse). I never saw any job opening ask for it...
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    rwmidl wrote: »
    I was a Certified Scrum Master for a while (got the cert when a company I worked for paid for it, but I let it lapse). I never saw any job opening ask for it...

Facinating. Truly each market is it's own beast. Any app dev lead position or architect etc has SCRUM or Agile in it in this market. (Almost all) no absolutes! :)

Just curious do you develop or manage app dev projects? With your certification I am assuming you are more infrastructure / administration.

@Barrett Yes they do, but they group them by job boards. I'd like to look at what role / domain you are in to give additional detail. Most of those blogs google indeed and use that as their findings. LMAO, such fine research.....
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Virtually every new job description nowadays by me asks for CISSP & CEH, regardless of what aspects of security the job actually covers.

Very true!
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
    @E Double and 636, Sounds like the Marketing Team for CEH are all getting bonuses this year. icon_lol.gif

In all seriousness sounds like if you are wanting to get into security, the CEH is one you SHOULD get.
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    AWS and OpenStack certifications (OSA or RH) continue to be trending in job postings for anything cloud related.
  • ChinookChinook Member Posts: 206
    It seems to depend on the technical field you're talking about. In the world of start ups I see a whole bunch of demand for AWS certs. In the security field the cert I see more requested is CISSP.

The demand for CISSP concerns me. I would hate the see the cert become like the MCSE 4.0 did in the late 90's. For those of you not around at the time, the MCSE was in high demand (I once got a job interview 3 minutes after I mailed in a resume because of it). Within a short time the MCSE 4.0 became a complete joke. The entire IT field rushed out to get it. Schools popped up all over offering fork lift drivers a well paid future in IT if they just spend the 10 grand to get the certificate. I'm not sure if the MCSE every recovered fully for that.

As for the C|EH. I don't begrudge people who take the course and cert (I have). But they have did a good job in marketing the certificate and making it something more than it is. It's really an entry level hacker offensive hacker certificate. It's a good start but passing it doesn't make you Kevin Mitnick or The Jester. I'd love to see Comptia offer an equivalent course to the C|EH. Lots of focus on basic hacking (SQLi, XSS, etc) from an offensive standpoint. Right now the C|EH is just too expensive. Security, at the basic level, should not be it's own pillar but integrated into daily systems admin. It's not & one reason is these certs are just too expensive for Joe Average to take.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I see an increase in demand for "f5" (experience more so than certs but certs would be a plus). Increase in demand for CheckPoint and Palo Alto. Increase in demand for AWS/Azure and anything cloud.

Decrease in demand for traditional sysadmin (i.e. sysadmin who only knows how to manage an OS). So there is a decrease in demand for, say, a Linux admin who only knows Linux....an admin now is expected to know Cloud/automation/configuration management etc etc.

(Note: Decrease in demand is NOT the same thing as lack of demand).
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• ChinookChinook Member Posts: 206
    @UNIXGuy

I think AWS is the perfect combo with Linux skills especially in a market with a lot of startups and a great way for rookie Linux folks to get their foot in the door.
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Anything that DoD 8570 requires will remain in demand as the de facto standard. Whether these certs are truly useful or not is irrelevant now. The die has been cast, for better or worse.

@Chinook

We are rapidly on that path. Just read some of the recent candidate complaints about the exam. Most of these exams are so pre-digested for you, no one should have much difficulty passing anything but CCSP and CASP as their is little to no real material for either. Give the authors another year and the aftermarket will prevail.

This is what to expect when certifying organizations stress quantity over quality. Microsoft did much the same back in the 90s so its not surprising to see history so readily repeat itself.

To the early certs goes the victory. icon_cheers.gif

- b/eads
  • rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Facinating. Truly each market is it's own beast. Any app dev lead position or architect etc has SCRUM or Agile in it in this market. (Almost all) no absolutes! :)

Just curious do you develop or manage app dev projects? With your certification I am assuming you are more infrastructure / administration.

Yeah, I've been more infrastructure/admin/lead admin.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
    @ rw that makes sense I can see that being pretty worthless then. I'm sure the other certs you have help A LOT more!
  • mudflapsmudflaps Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i dont have a ceh, but i personally think it is garbage. i know its on the 8570 list, but from what i understand, you can read a pdf **** and pass it.
  • ZzBloopzZZzBloopzZ Member Posts: 192
    CEH. Everybody around me is asking for CEH for some reason. Not sure who started that wildfire, but the demand is growing exponentially. Virtually every new job description nowadays by me asks for CISSP & CEH, regardless of what aspects of security the job actually covers.

That's very interesting! Here in the DC area I get at least one message a week and I think it's because I have both CEH and CISSP.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Chinook wrote: »
    @UNIXGuy

I think AWS is the perfect combo with Linux skills especially in a market with a lot of startups and a great way for rookie Linux folks to get their foot in the door.

I agree 100%. My point is that folks with linux skills ONLY need to upskill and learn things like AWS and Puppet.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE