Signing up for the OSCP tomorrow

jasonperry10jasonperry10 Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
Decided I'm taking the plunge and taking the OSCP. I probably won't post regular updates of my progress but I'll try to give a few updates, my opinions and answer any questions.
Wish me luck

Comments

• adrenaline19adrenaline19 Member Posts: 251
    Here's some advice. Do the practice exercises at the end of each chapter. Don't skip them. And document them and everything else really well.
    It's impossible to over document! Seriously, write down everything.
  • jasonperry10jasonperry10 Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Here's some advice. Do the practice exercises at the end of each chapter. Don't skip them. And document them and everything else really well.
    It's impossible to over document! Seriously, write down everything.

Thanks for the tip. I'll make sure to do that. This is going to be the toughest cert I've ever attempted, thanks for the advice.
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would look through the OSCP threads here. There is a lot of good information in them.

Someone post this blog:

Offensive Security's PWB and OSCP - My Experience - Security SiftSecurity Sift

It seems to contain a good bit of information. I know that I have it bookmarked for when I head towards the exam.
    Mooseboost wrote: »
    I would look through the OSCP threads here. There is a lot of good information in them.

Someone post this blog:

Offensive Security's PWB and OSCP - My Experience - Security SiftSecurity Sift

It seems to contain a good bit of information. I know that I have it bookmarked for when I head towards the exam.

Thanks I'll bookmark it also. Looks like it has some good information. I've seen a few threads and have bookmarked them as well. So much good information. Man I love this site!

*update*
    I just got an email from offensive-security saying my spot is reserved and to test the VPN connection. I'll test it when I get home tonight.
  • towentumtowentum Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats. I signed up for mine last week and start on the 14th. From every resource I've ready, documentation is going to be very important. Also, it appears you can possibly get an extra 5 points for turning in your lab report and another 5 for the exercise report for a total of 10.

I plan on documenting the hell out of everything. I plan on spending the first week going through the material and exercises so I have it all nice and documented. After that I'm going to tackle the labs. I signed up for three months so I want to own every box before I attempt the exam. I know it's no easy tasks, but I'm confident, and I really really want this cert!
  • BrandonEckertBrandonEckert Member Posts: 6 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This is for sure the next cert I am attempting!
    towentum wrote: »
    Congrats. I signed up for mine last week and start on the 14th. From every resource I've ready, documentation is going to be very important. Also, it appears you can possibly get an extra 5 points for turning in your lab report and another 5 for the exercise report for a total of 10.

I plan on documenting the hell out of everything. I plan on spending the first week going through the material and exercises so I have it all nice and documented. After that I'm going to tackle the labs. I signed up for three months so I want to own every box before I attempt the exam. I know it's no easy tasks, but I'm confident, and I really really want this cert!
    After reading some of the threads and the suggestions on here. I'll definitely document everything.
    I also signed up for the 3 months. I plan on going through the materials and exercises first and document everything. Hopefully, that's a good strategy. I want to own all the servers and kick butt before the exam. I'm pumped.
  • adrenaline19adrenaline19 Member Posts: 251
    Here's another piece of advice.

The amount of boxes will be overwhelming at first. You'll want to jump around like a fat kid in a candy store, don't.
    Find a box that hasn't been reset in a day, reset it, and start working. Take it slow. Treat the box like a date. Get to know it really well. Don't just try to get in its pants after 5 minutes, because it'll reject you faster than a prom queen. Know absolutely everything possible about it before you try to exploit.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Plus, document, document, document!

Alice was my first date, maybe you should say hi to her if you get the chance. icon_razz.gif
  • jonenojoneno Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @ adrenaline you're a clown icon_lol.gif, I love your sense of humor.
  • si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Enjoy every second of it! I know I did. But make sure you understand everything. Don't just move onto the next topic without understanding the previous topic. Read all the reviews and learn from the reviews. Make use of IRC and you'll learn a heck of a lot!

The amount of boxes will be overwhelming at first. You'll want to jump around like a fat kid in a candy store, don't.
    Find a box that hasn't been reset in a day, reset it, and start working. Take it slow. Treat the box like a date. Get to know it really well. Don't just try to get in its pants after 5 minutes, because it'll reject you faster than a prom queen. Know absolutely everything possible about it before you try to exploit.

Alice was my first date, maybe you should say hi to her if you get the chance. icon_razz.gif

thanks for the advice. I think I'll take Alex out too. Learn everything about her, gain her trust and the screw her over real good. I'm going to exploit her vulnerabilities so hard. icon_thumright.gif
    My laptop just crapped the bed. Good thing I'm not scheduled until the 21st. New laptop should be here this Friday.

Sucks, I wanted to practice and brush up a lil bit more on my python scripting and such.
    I'm about 4 days into the course. I've completed about 60% of the pdf and videos. I'm documenting all the course exercises to try and get that extra 5 points come exam time. So far I'm really liking it. I should finish all slides and videos by this weekend. Then I will start in the labs.

So far, I read a section and do the exercises and then I watch the videos for that section. I take notes of anything new to me.

Not sure if this is a good method of study, but I always like to do a quick overview of the materials to get a feel for everything then I'll dig in even deeper once starting the labs. Plus, I really want to get the exercises out of the way to get the extra points.
    Update: I just got notice this morning. I have passed the exam and I'm officially OSCP certified!

This was by far the most difficult exam I have ever taken and I am so happy and I feel so accomplished. There were times when I feel like I wouldn't be able to do it and I'm glad I didn't quit and "Tried Harder!"

P.S. I'm so glad this cert doesn't expire lol
  • bluesquirrelbluesquirrel Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!

any tips to share?

Cheers!
    The biggest tip is to never assume anything about a target machine. Enumerate every port and remember to take clear notes of everything. Make sure to get plenty of rest and take plenty of breaks to let your mind and body refresh. Never quit, have fun and try harder!!
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! Any plans to write a OSCP review?
    I probably won't do a review. There are already a ton of great write-ups on this board. Plus I'm OSCP burned out. I've been working on this thing for the last 5 months outside of work. I'm just glad I'm done and my family is glad too lol
  • winona_ryderwinona_ryder Member Posts: 42 ■□□□□□□□□□

Alice is a great first date. She was very kind, and helped my confidence