Best cloud certification to get?

Thinking about maybe picking up a cloud cert, what is a good one to get?

Comments

• iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ​It depends... Public or Private cloud? Which do you prefer Microsoft or Linux?
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • MJK9550MJK9550 Member Posts: 160
    Doesn't really matter. I'm more familiar with Microsoft but I am planning on getting my Linux skills up very soon. Going to do Linux+ in a couple months. I was thinking of the VMWare Vsphere cert.

Thoughts on that one?

I also saw the MCSA Cloud for Azure.
  • AfaqueAfaque Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes VMware Vsphere is current trend in cloud certs.
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    @MJK9550: This question has been asked and answered many times (just do a quick search on the forums). The most popular implementations are AWS (public) and OpenStack (private) for cloud certifications. OpenStack is the open source alternative for building your own cloud. It's mostly geared towards Managed Service Providers as well as Telcos and has a huge community consisting of hundreds of companies that routinely update the features/source code. AWS is Amazon's cloud offering, is well established in terms of market share and features, and makes sense to deploy in small environments or even for disaster recovery/business continuity functions.

@Afaque: VMware vSphere suite by itself is not a cloud solution.
  • soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Other vendor neutral options to throw into the ring: Cloud+, CCSK, CCSP

Vendor specific cloud certs: AWS, Google Cloud Platform, Microsoft Azure
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Read a Cloud+ book to get an idea of what the cloud landscape (that's an interesting picture) looks like, cover the basics, and then look again. It is easy to say "AWS" or "Azure" or "MCSE Private Cloud" or Google or Office365 or Salesforce or CCSP, but if you can't place those in the cloud landscape, it's hard to know how to get where you want to get to, or even where to aim for.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I don't really see people asking for Cloud certs, but they like to see a 'cloud migration' project on your CV that's for sure.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• EdwinMobileEdwinMobile Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    OctalDump wrote: »
    Read a Cloud+ book to get an idea of what the cloud landscape (that's an interesting picture) looks like, cover the basics, and then look again. It is easy to say "AWS" or "Azure" or "MCSE Private Cloud" or Google or Office365 or Salesforce or CCSP, but if you can't place those in the cloud landscape, it's hard to know how to get where you want to get to, or even where to aim for.
    ^^^This right here. The "Cloud" is a big tent. It would be best to understand a little in order to ask which cert would be best for you.
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The Linux Foundation offers a free cloud course through EdX: LFS151 - Introduction to Cloud Infrastructure Technologies
    https://training.linuxfoundation.org/linux-courses/system-administration-training/introduction-to-cloud-infrastructure-technologies
    I haven't taken this one in particular but the Linux 101 course was decent and you can't beat the price.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP