Starting WGU - M.S. IT - Management degree

Comments

• Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Awesome, looks like you're on track to accelerate those last couple classes into this term! Keep it up!

That is the hope!! I am hoping to get through Technical Writing and Disaster Recovery very quickly so I have adequate time for Technological Globalization and possibly time permitting IT Management. :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • usman4673usman4673 Member Posts: 115
    @ Dakinggamer87: Nice, thanks for sharing your insight. I might start the same early next year. Please keep the data you used securely. I might ask you for the templates/data once you are done, for guidance/reference. Secondly, do you know if being a graduate student, one is entitled to the same educational credit/tax benefit while filing taxes?
  • fjhesqfjhesq Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    @ Dakinggamer87
    I'll be starting this MS probably 11/1 if all goes as planned. Have you ran into any OA's yet or is it all PA? Also, how many pages are you averaging per task? Not looking forward to the writing but it is what it is you know. Any tips or advice, PM me....
  • GSXR750K2GSXR750K2 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    fjhesq wrote: »
    @ Dakinggamer87
    I'll be starting this MS probably 11/1 if all goes as planned. Have you ran into any OA's yet or is it all PA? Also, how many pages are you averaging per task? Not looking forward to the writing but it is what it is you know. Any tips or advice, PM me....

The version of the program he and I are in is made up of PA's only, but they recently overhauled the program to include the CAPM certification, so it looks like there's at least one OA in the version you'll be in (this is my jealous face). Didn't know if he was aware of that or not so I thought I'd barge in and share. :)

The current program guide: http://www.wgu.edu/wgu/prog_guide/MSITM.pdf
    GSXR750K2 wrote: »
    The version of the program he and I are in is made up of PA's only, but they recently overhauled the program to include the CAPM certification, so it looks like there's at least one OA in the version you'll be in (this is my jealous face). Didn't know if he was aware of that or not so I thought I'd barge in and share. :)

I actually didn't see it yet. I had heard from my student mentor about some changes tho... I guess this is what she meant about the degree program changing!! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
    usman4673 wrote: »
    @ Dakinggamer87: Nice, thanks for sharing your insight. I might start the same early next year. Please keep the data you used securely. I might ask you for the templates/data once you are done, for guidance/reference. Secondly, do you know if being a graduate student, one is entitled to the same educational credit/tax benefit while filing taxes?

Sure no problem. :)

I have a directory where I store all my files and papers for my courses and classes for my own reference. I think as for your second question it depends on your situtation and other variables such as income, tax bracket, etc.. If you make more than a certain amount you can't qualify for the specific educational credits/tax breaks which I believe there are two of them. This should be in the credits section. I attached a link for your reference. I hope you find this helpful. :)

https://www.irs.gov/uac/tax-benefits-for-education-information-center

fjhesq wrote: »
    @ Dakinggamer87

It all depends on the course to be honest and the type of tasks. If I had to give you a benchmark on my average paper lengths I would say it's anywhere between 10-20 pages just in the ballpark. Yeah, I agree the writing is what it is and any Master's program will require a lot of writing unfortunately. My advice is to pace yourself and put a hold on certifications once you start because you won't have the time to do both realistically. I had to put a hold on any certifications becuase of the workload. However, my situation is unique with my commitments to my church and mission work so my time is very streched lol.. but time managment is key to success!! :)

I am always available via PM for any questions or send me a Skype as well if I can help further in any way possible. :)

• EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    GSXR750K2 wrote: »

If they would just make it the PMP instead of CAPM, I'd sign up to get a second MS icon_study.gif
    I'll be happy with just a Master's degree then I'll be done with school for the rest of my life. :)

FXT2 - Disaster Recovery Planning, Prevention and Response passed!! Praise God!! Finally,moving onto Technical Writing - Task 1 almost completed...

The plan for the remainder of my term ending on Feb. 1st, 2017:

-> MCT2 - Technical Writing, MAT2 - IT Management

My final term: MBT2 - Technological Globalization, C391, C392 - MS - IT Management - Capstone Written Project & Oral Defense

Courses:

-Risk Management (Complete)
    -Current and Emerging Technology (Complete)
    -Cyberlaw, Regulations, and Compliance (Complete)
    -Technical Writing (In Progress)
    -Power, Influence and Leadership (Complete)
    -Advanced Networking Technology (Complete)
    -Disaster Recovery Planning, Prevention and Response (Complete)
    -Information Technology Management (In Progress)
    -Technological Globalization (In Progress)
    -MS, Information Technology Management Capstone Written Project
    -MS, Information Technology Management Capstone Oral Defense

@ Dakinggamer87:

If you dont mind recommending a study path for prospective IT Mgmt candidates like me, i am sure, many can benefit.

1) Can you list all the 10 courses with easy to most difficult?
    2) Besides the difficulty level, can you recommend the sequence to take them so one can go smoothly and make the most of one term?
    3) I know, the time required to spend on a course depends on ones experience, prior knowledge, and on how many quality hours one can dedicate per day or a week. Some ppl like working everyday utilizing whatever small sessions they can utilize, some like to wait and dedicate 1-2 long days of 6-8 hours and finish it once. But if we ignore experience/prior knowledge, how much time in hours do you say you invested or would recommend others per course?
    4) Since PMI CAPM is introduced for Project management, it means students now have one OA, everything else is performance/writing.

I) On the 9 writing courses, does one have to read all the study material recommended to complete the writing tasks of Capstream or can one copy the rubric to word and just target the specific sections and then fill the paras under rubric and submit for pass?

II) I think one should try to complete at least 19 credit hours including CAPM in the first term. This means 5 3-CU and one 4-CU CAPM.What should be the first 3 courses to set the sail smoothly? Try to finish the first 3 in the first two months, then take one more 3-CU writing and then start CAPM in the beginning of 4th month. Use 4th & 5th for CAPM and then the last 6th month for another 3-CU writing? Can you recommend these 5 writing courses in sequence? Which ones should be the first 3 and the subsequent 4th and 5th?

I think first term is the defining term. It is this term which will make or break ones dream of achieving MS. Thats why i want to plan it well.

I dont want to hi-jack your progress thread but felt many ppl are thinking the same and ppl like you can mentor.
  • mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Set to start the MBA:ITM on 12/1 and would love to hear more about your progress. From what I'm hearing, the programs are very similar in terms of the course content and credit load. One of the major differences I've found is that the preparation includes the CAPM. I'm currently studying for the PMP and am trying to take it before my intended start date.
    If you or anyone else could please chime in as to your research on the two programs it would be appreciated.
    Thanks and good luck
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
    mzx380 wrote: »
    Set to start the MBA:ITM on 12/1 and would love to hear more about your progress. From what I'm hearing, the programs are very similar in terms of the course content and credit load. One of the major differences I've found is that the preparation includes the CAPM. I'm currently studying for the PMP and am trying to take it before my intended start date.
    If you or anyone else could please chime in as to your research on the two programs it would be appreciated.
    Thanks and good luck

@MZx380: I initially had the same confusion. It all goes back to you what you are pursuing or want to be doing down the road. MBA in ITM, disregard the ITM suffix, focus more on the title "MBA," does that apply or is needed for your future endeavors? If someone wants to have:
    a) a taste of business (Accounting/marketing/management/finance)
    b) and wants the title MBA
    c) but has more technical past experience
    d) and a more technical BS
    e) looking at a managerial/C-level

then it would make sense to stick to a MBA:ITM vs a generic general-business MBA.

But if you want to stick to more technical, non-business, and IT managerial technical position then MS suits you more. But dont get sold on this one CAPM certification which WGU has started offering on MS-ITM. No one in the industry knows what CAPM is. US markets an industry is more and only familiar with PMP.

MS vs MBA is a bigger riddle for you to solve. Does MS sound better to your ears about you and is it more in-line with your future goals/positions you have been looking at?Or is MBA better aligned to your goals?

I have to start mine on December 1st too and I am still as confused as i was a month ago. I know, it will be from WGU, but dont know if it will be an MS:ITM or MS:CSIA or MBA:ITM.
    @ Dakinggamer87:

If you dont mind recommending a study path for prospective IT Mgmt candidates like me, i am sure, many can benefit.

1) Can you list all the 10 courses with easy to most difficult?
    2) Besides the difficulty level, can you recommend the sequence to take them so one can go smoothly and make the most of one term?
    3) I know, the time required to spend on a course depends on ones experience, prior knowledge, and on how many quality hours one can dedicate per day or a week. Some ppl like working everyday utilizing whatever small sessions they can utilize, some like to wait and dedicate 1-2 long days of 6-8 hours and finish it once. But if we ignore experience/prior knowledge, how much time in hours do you say you invested or would recommend others per course?
    4) Since PMI CAPM is introduced for Project management, it means students now have one OA, everything else is performance/writing.

I) On the 9 writing courses, does one have to read all the study material recommended to complete the writing tasks of Capstream or can one copy the rubric to word and just target the specific sections and then fill the paras under rubric and submit for pass?

II) I think one should try to complete at least 19 credit hours including CAPM in the first term. This means 5 3-CU and one 4-CU CAPM.What should be the first 3 courses to set the sail smoothly? Try to finish the first 3 in the first two months, then take one more 3-CU writing and then start CAPM in the beginning of 4th month. Use 4th & 5th for CAPM and then the last 6th month for another 3-CU writing? Can you recommend these 5 writing courses in sequence? Which ones should be the first 3 and the subsequent 4th and 5th?

I think first term is the defining term. It is this term which will make or break ones dream of achieving MS. Thats why i want to plan it well.

I dont want to hi-jack your progress thread but felt many ppl are thinking the same and ppl like you can mentor.

1) Unfortunately, I haven't taken all of the courses in the program so I can't rank all of the courses from most difficult to easy. However, I can rank what I have done based on the courses I have completed.

-Risk Management - Easy
    -Current and Emerging Technology - Easy
    -Cyberlaw, Regulations, and Compliance - Challenging
    -Technical Writing - Currently in this course
    -Power, Influence and Leadership - Easy (due to my background and experiences from work/church/life)
    -Advanced Networking Technology - Somewhat challenging (I have a solid background in networking)
    -Disaster Recovery Planning, Prevention and Response - Straightforward just repeptitive
    -Information Technology Management - Haven't started
    -Technological Globalization - Haven't started
    -MS, Information Technology Management Capstone Written Project - Havcen't started
    -MS, Information Technology Management Capstone Oral Defense - Haven't started

2) Term layout that worked for me:

Term 1:

-Risk Management - Easy
    -Current and Emerging Technology - Easy
    -Cyberlaw, Regulations, and Compliance - Challenging
    -Advanced Networking Technology - Somewhat challenging (I have a solid background in networking)

Term 2:
    -Power, Influence and Leadership - Easy (due to my background and experiences from work/church/life)
    -Disaster Recovery Planning, Prevention and Response - Straightforward just repeptitive
    -Technical Writing - Currently in this course
    -Information Technology Management - Haven't started

Term 3:
    -Technological Globalization - Haven't started
    -MS, Information Technology Management Capstone Written Project - Haven't started
    -MS, Information Technology Management Capstone Oral Defense - Haven't started

3) It is hard to say because sometimes I will block off a few hours to work on tasks/papers. There are other times where I will do short burst sessions for study. On average maybe 10-15 hrs or more if I had to guess. My situation is unique as I work two jobs, gym, church, and other life obligations such as travel etc.. So my study patterns change week to week :P

I try to complete a course each month or within 6 weeks it just depends on the course, content, and my schedule.

4) As for your last question I didn't take the PMP/CAPM as it wasn't part of my degree program. This is because it was included afterwards so I can't add much to this area of the discussion as I never had to take the exam/exams.

I think some courses such as Technical Writing, Advanced Networking Technology, and maybe Cyberlaw require some reading to perform the tasks. It once again all depends on your experience etc..

The challenging nature of these courses will require a lot of time so the most I have completed in a term is four courses. However, if you have the time I am sure you can do more. I have only been able to do four of them at the most each term due to my life schedule and just burnout... I have to take breaks between writing paper after paper so your mileage may vary...

Hope I answered all your questions!!

Thanks and good luck

The programs are quite similar. The main reason I skipped the MBA was two reasons: specialization because I wanted to focus on IT and the business aspect of it. The second reason was the group project lol.. :P

My thoughts are the content in an MBA (Accounting/marketing/management/finance) I can learn on the job the acumen so to speak. This is just my opinion of course. I think whether you get an MBA or MS will position yourself for success in any managerial/C-level position. I already have experience in many different areas/company types/industries. The MSITM has areas on management, finance,etc.. but it is focused on IT specifically instead of a broad general sense.

As for comparing the two: MS and MBA: An analogy I like to use is as follows. It is like making a chili dog with chili and cheese this would be the IT focus and focused on a specific type of hot dog. The MBA would be the chili and cheese hot dog with the extra condiments that would be added on top of it.

To my knowledge some courses cross over between the two programs such as Project Management perhaps. There is much more overlap in terms of the number of courses with the MS:CSIA from what I know.

Dakinggamer: You "da" man! I am your die hard fan, will follow you wherever you go. You are always just so much busy but somehow always find time to help others. This is an exceptional and extremely selfless quality, a rarity. Feel free to always reach out to me, should I be of any use. I also hope, you find answers within.
    Dakinggamer: You "da" man! I am your die hard fan, will follow you wherever you go. You are always just so much busy but somehow always find time to help others. This is an exceptional and extremely selfless quality, a rarity. Feel free to always reach out to me, should I be of any use. I also hope, you find answers within.

Another update MCT2 - Technical Writing - Task 1 passed and Tasks 2 and 3 are nearing completion and submission to Taskstream. I'm on track to accelerate MAT2 - IT Management before the term ends on Feb. 1st, 2017..

The programs are quite similar. The main reason I skipped the MBA was two reasons: specialization because I wanted to focus on IT and the business aspect of it. The second reason was the group project lol.. :P

My thoughts are the content in an MBA (Accounting/marketing/management/finance) I can learn on the job the acumen so to speak. This is just my opinion of course. I think whether you get an MBA or MS will position yourself for success in any managerial/C-level position. I already have experience in many different areas/company types/industries. The MSITM has areas on management, finance,etc.. but it is focused on IT specifically instead of a broad general sense.

As for comparing the two: MS and MBA: An analogy I like to use is as follows. It is like making a chili dog with chili and cheese this would be the IT focus and focused on a specific type of hot dog. The MBA would be the chili and cheese hot dog with the extra condiments that would be added on top of it.

To my knowledge some courses cross over between the two programs such as Project Management perhaps. There is much more overlap in terms of the number of courses with the MS:CSIA from what I know.

Thanks for the reply
    I'm still set on the MBA at this point, going to have to whittle down my prep in order to meet my intended 12/1 start date.
    Good luck with your MS, I'll be tracking your progress
    Thanks for the reply
    I'm still set on the MBA at this point, going to have to whittle down my prep in order to meet my intended 12/1 start date.
    Good luck with your MS, I'll be tracking your progress

Cool glad you made a decision best of luck will be tracking your progress. :)

Update:

MCT2 - Technical Writing - Tasks 1 and 2 complete!! Task 3 ready for submission so I'm hoping by next week I can close this out before Thanksgiving. The next step is IT Management which I plan to hit the ground running after Thanksgiving!! :)

Keep up the good work man, you're def an inspiration
    Update:

MCT2 - Technical Writing passed and completed!!

Remaining to graduate:
    -Information Technology Management
    -Technological Globalization
    -MS, Information Technology Management Capstone Written Project/Capstone Oral Defense

Three courses away!! So excited the end is near!! :)

Update:

-Submitting MAT2- IT Management - Tasks 1,2,3 soon to be graded
    -Started reading MBT2 - Technological Globalization then start drafting Task 1

Closing the year strong going into 2017!!

MAT2 - IT Management Tasks 1 and 2 passed. Some slight revisions to Task 3 that I need to make on my decision flowchart and Gantt chart. I'll have it resubmitted and passed by the end of the week. That is my plan. So I can enjoy my vacation in Ireland and London in January before I start my final term in February. :)

MAT2 - IT Management completed time to rest and relax for the remainder of the year. I got the pass notification while seeing Rogue One. :)

MBT2 - Tech Globalization and Capstone Written Project/Oral Defense is all that is left

I'm back from my vacation in London and Ireland. It was fantastic now to finish what I started!! :)

That's going to be rough after a vacation like that.
    Good luck
    I'm at the tail end of the degree so it shouldn't be too hard. I've come too far to not finish the fight. :)

Besides all that stands in my path to the finish line is the Capstone and any revisions for Tech Globalization. I did all the papers and writing for Tech Globalization before I went on vacation to maximize my downtime.

I'll jump back into the fray on Monday.

“There must be a beginning of any great matter, but the continuing unto the end until it be thoroughly finished yields the true glory.” - Sir Francis Drake