Passed Cloud Essentials last week, thinking whats next to take along that path!!

maronvomramaronvomra Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

Passed Cloud Essentials last week, won't say it was that hard. Just used the CompTIA Cloud Essentials Certification Study Guide for preparing.
Thinking should I pursue cloud+ or go with something more recognized in industry like Azure/AWS.

Thanks,
Tanveer

Comments

• TrucidoTrucido Member Posts: 250 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    2017 Certification Goals
    CompTIA A+ [ ] CompTIA Net+ [ ] CompTIA Sec+ [ ] CCENT [ ] ITIL [ ]
  • owieczka_maowieczka_ma Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on your pass maronvomra!

From my perspective - I am a holder for both of these certs: CompTIA Cloud Essentials and Cloud+ - achieving them (except of some knowledge increase) was a total waste of my: time and money. I would definitely suggest to invest in: Azure and/or AWS knowledge support it with appropriate certifications.

These are just my 5 cents ...
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • maronvomramaronvomra Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks all.

Thanks Owieczka_ma, I was just thinking that whether or not should spend another $300USD which will be like 400CAD for me.

Is it possible to pass those Azure/AWS certifications without taking the training course just by reading books?

Thanks.
  • jonenojoneno Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Avoid all comptia cert like a plague, it's a waste of time and money like owie said. AWS CSA is a good start and the ROI is not comparable to comptia cloud certs.
  • maronvomramaronvomra Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you all for the valuable suggestions.

Next stop AWS CSA Associate. Will just read the books to prepare for that as don't have enough money to take the training.

Thanks.
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Cloud+ is good baseline knowledge and fundamentals, and is probably good knowledge for anyone in IT infrastructure to have. If you are looking for a career in Cloud and feel ready, then read the book but skip the exam, and move onto Azure or AWS or even Google.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    OctalDump wrote: »
    Cloud+ is good baseline knowledge and fundamentals, and is probably good knowledge for anyone in IT infrastructure to have. If you are looking for a career in Cloud and feel ready, then read the book but skip the exam, and move onto Azure or AWS or even Google.

The exams are two entirely different though. The Cloud+ is to the cloud cbk as the Network+ is to Networking. The Azure and AWS certifications only make sense if you're working on those specific platforms for development operations.
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Remedymp wrote: »
    The exams are two entirely different though. The Cloud+ is to the cloud cbk as the Network+ is to Networking. The Azure and AWS certifications only make sense if you're working on those specific platforms for development operations.

I'm not sure what you are saying. Are you saying that Cloud+ is general in scope, and AWS/Azure certification are more specific? Are you recommending taking something general before something specific, and make the specific choice (AWS, Azure, Salesforce, Office365, Google etc) based on what technology you are or will likely be working with?
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    OctalDump wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you are saying. Are you saying that Cloud+ is general in scope, and AWS/Azure certification are more specific? Are you recommending taking something general before something specific, and make the specific choice (AWS, Azure, Salesforce, Office365, Google etc) based on what technology you are or will likely be working with?

You take the AWS/Azure certs if you're working on either platform as a developer. Not because you want to show your cloud knowledge. You take the Cloud+ to demonstrate your literacy of Cloud computing. Telling someone to take the AWS over the Cloud+ is an apples to oranges. Neither one of those have anything to do with each other.