Failed NET+ with 700 points ..... what to do next

nemorisingnemorising Member Posts: 20 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi,
I failed today the Net+ exam with 700 points...... (first ever exam taken)
Honestly I felt bad, more for the money I paid for that exam (and why didn`t I get the Deluxe voucher with 1 retake, for 100 bucks more it was worth it) than for the time spent on this exam.
I followed an online course (which I got last December, a bundle of Comptia exams for $50), and it looked not that difficult, so thats why I decided to register. After that course, and the notes I took during it, I used a couple of video nuggets and went over those for the last 5 days, without having a specific book to work with. Somehow I managed to use my experince (I have been working as HelpDesk,Desktop support, Network & Windows Admin since 2009).......... but that being said I still failed on this exam.
Honestly I needed more time, (for the last 15 questions that I flagged to review, I had only 7 minutes) ....... and the questions had a little to do with the real world.

I know that Net+ is a basic exam in Networking, and off course I`m moving toward CCNA in the next 6 months, but I wanted to get an opinion, is it worth the money to retake this exam (Net+) or give it a shot to Security+?
CISSP

Comments

• DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would focus on the CCNA personally.
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I would really focus on the stuff you missed. If you're going for the CCNA, you're going to need that knowledge as a good foundation. At this point, it may be a waste of money just for the cert. The knowledge of the cert is very important, but the paper itself will be worthless when you get the CCNA. Keep studying, go for the CCNA. At least it gives you some place to focus some studies on. Because the CCENT/CCNA is a bit more difficult than the Net+. You can do it!
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    First, welcome to the board.

Second, failing exams happens to many people, even the most talented can mess up on an exam, do not take it personal, merely take another shot at it.

Third, while many of 'these exams' (and for now let's simply talk CompTIA's A+, Net+ and Sec+), these exams are 'easier' than most other exams. They are vendor neutral and entry-ish level exams. One needs to have a good grasp of the vocabulary and general concepts. Too little experience in the field makes these exams extremely challenging. Too much experience in the field and one may have forgotten the 'general idea' being tested and over think their answer.

Test taking is as much of a skill as customer service. Not real difficult but those who can do it well, are VERY GOOD. Those who do not like taking exams/customer service give themselves negative talk and increase the difficulty of what could have been a simple task. In essence, it takes practice to do well taking an exam...not mere study.

You stated this was your first exam. Cool, now you understand the formatting. Keep in mind, many (not all) take the two A+ exams before they take the NET+, so many folks are two CompTIA exams of experience ahead of you before you signed up. Each time you venture into a new vendor's exam series you will encounter some type of learning curve to develop your mind to think in the language of the exam's author. Only you can decide if it makes sense to retake the exam. You are certainly close enough to passing to be successful with a bit more review. Each exam you take is an investment into yourself, so some choose to gripe about the expense, but I always consider an investment into myself a good risk and in my experience it has always paid off. YMMV

For CompTIA exams, I will always recommend beginning with a copy of the objectives from their website. The second piece I consider important is to invest in one, but preferably two, texts. In Net+ case, I would look at Sybex and Meyers' or at least his passport as a second. You need to decide how much study you need though. With the objectives in hand, one can easily define all the vocab and investigate white papers and such online for little cost by time, but I prefer a text in hand, so I save my research part for when I want more clarity into something I do not work much with or simply have never come across.

I am not you, but if I were in your situation, I would want to complete my NET+ prior to Sec+ and I would consider the experience giving more time in front of the vendor's material before seeking out an additional cert (but I would want that first one in the books ;) ). YMMV
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Welcome to the boards. Failing is only a measure of your efforts and resolve. <- my very own quote icon_wink.gif

You will be pissed if you moved to CCNA without ever fighting to pass an exam you failed. Also failing is common in IT certifications. In 2006 I failed CCNA twice before taking it in half's and finally passing after 4 tries. In 2016 I failed CISSP twice! $600 dollar exams my friend! I failed my second attempt by 5 points! Thats like half a question or 1 question! I take my third attempt in late November.

Hope my story finds comfort for you. I am not mad at any of my failings.

Study harder. icon_study.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You were so close. I have to agree that you would feel a sense of accomplishment if you take it again and pass (which it sounds like you will) before moving on to the CCNA. If you go on to the CCNA you might be concerned that you will not pass because you didn't pass the N+. Let me also clarify, that I am studying for the N+ too and while I haven't taken it yet I've thought about what I would do if I were in your situation. I too am going on to the CCNA or Security+ after the N+. Thanks for sharing.
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    You stated this was your first exam. Cool, now you understand the formatting. Keep in mind, many (not all) take the two A+ exams before they take the NET+, so many folks are two CompTIA exams of experience ahead of you before you signed up. Each time you venture into a new vendor's exam series you will encounter some type of learning curve to develop your mind to think in the language of the exam's author.

This exactly. When I first took my A+, the questions were not what I expected. Same with Microsoft exams. EC Council was another different one. The exams are different material, but they are also worded completely different. You have to think about what the test writer is thinking. If you ever take Microsoft exams, one thing you'll hear is "there is the right answer and there is the Microsoft answer". What works in the real world may not be the "official" answer. Also, the "best" answer. There may be several correct answers. You need to pick the one that's considered the best....

Not so much trick questions (although many claim so), but worded in a way that's different than others.
  • MJK9550MJK9550 Member Posts: 160
    I took the Network+ about two weeks ago and failed as well. Took it again this past Friday and passed, and yes it feels good. I would definitely suggest passing this exam before you move on to the CCNA since you are so close already. I plan on doing CCNA soon after I do my Security+ and a Microsoft cert, not sure which one though.
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes, take the Network+ again...You need a solid understanding of networking/subnetting before venturing into Cisco/CCNA (Those test are not easy, I failed to pass them 3x in the mid/late 90's when they first came out - v1 & v2 of CCNA & I didn't fail them by much either)

Though you have been in IT for awhile, I would still suggest taking the A+ exam. It may not mean anything to you, but having this cert sort of graduates you to higher level exams IMO.

You might consider CompTIA certmaster software & possibly buying the bundle pack so if you do fail it again you will have a retake voucher.

Study harder! Cheers!
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • nemorisingnemorising Member Posts: 20 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you all for the meaningful thoughts, somehow you changed my mind to retake Net+ exam (and maybe right after that take the CCENT exam, it looks a lot like Net+). I still think that it`s not fair, to make someone pay for an exam (comptia, microsoft, cisco etc) and not provide him with a free decent official guide to prepare himself for this exam, an ebook or something like that. Certification (if you do it with your own expenses) it`s not a cheap thing, considering exam cost, books cost or even training and video tutorials.
    By the way, does anyone know, when it`s the perfect time during the year, when we can buy on sale vouchers for comptia, microsoft or cisco?
    Just wondering if they do have some kind of black friday or cyber monday icon_wink.gif

p.s: about the A+, there is no way I`m taking that exam with my own expenses, if I find and employee to pay for it, sure why not
    CISSP
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Don't worry about the money. There is a greater principle at hand here. That is being determined to see the goal completed after you have failed. That habit of getting up when you fall and pushing forward is far more important than certification fees. Money comes and goes.

Go punch that net+ in the face!
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241
    There are plenty of resources available for the network +. Get yourself the Meyers Network+ book and read it from front to back. Get your hands dirty on some labs. (Get packet tracer and actually set up a small functioning network).

It won't help you with any of the questions, but it will put what you learn to work and help you remember a lot of things.

Also, I think most people who go for any certifications fail them from time to time. It happens.

When I did martial arts, they told me the more frustrated you get, the worse you will do. You can apply that to anything. It clouds your thinking and you make bad decisions - in a test environment, that is the wrong answer on a multiple choice. You have to accept that you will lose.

Accept from time to time you will miss sometimes. It's not a big deal.

Can be expensive, though. lol :O
    Current: OSCP

Next: CCNP (R&S and Sec)

Follow my OSCP Thread!
  • cdxcdx Member Posts: 186
    I would recommend to retake the N+ before moving on.

I used these study materials for my N+ test and passed first try:
    Examcram Book (Read it + practice tests in learn mode)
    Examcompass.com Practice tests
    Professor Messor (Watched all videos and some of the net+ study group vids)
    Bachelor of Science - Information Technology - Security
    Associate of Science - Computer Information Systems
  • GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cdx wrote: »
    I would recommend to retake the N+ before moving on.

I used these study materials for my N+ test and passed first try:
    Examcram Book (Read it + practice tests in learn mode)
    Examcompass.com Practice tests
    Professor Messor (Watched all videos and some of the net+ study group vids)

Did you think the questions on the N+ were similar in difficulty to the examcompass practice tests?
  • cdxcdx Member Posts: 186
    Examcompass IMO were easier.
    Examcram about equivalent IMO in difficulty.
    Bachelor of Science - Information Technology - Security
    Associate of Science - Computer Information Systems
  • HolyPuckHolyPuck Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If there is one thing I have learned, it's to always buy the retake one. I have only used it once, but I'm always gald I do it. If not for the retake, then the peace of mind that comes walking in to take the first exam.

Don't feel bad you failed the N+, I failed it my first time too, and I consider myself a good test taker. The new N+ is the hardest (of the trifecta) comptia exam right now IMO.

Just put your head down and study, and give it another go.. Or just go straight for CCNA and skip N+, but you should definitely take more time to prepare for that as it will be considerable harder exam.
    HolyPuck wrote: »
    If there is one thing I have learned, it's to always buy the retake one. I have only used it once, but I'm always gald I do it. If not for the retake, then the peace of mind that comes walking in to take the first exam.

Don't feel bad you failed the N+, I failed it my first time too, and I consider myself a good test taker. The new N+ is the hardest (of the trifecta) comptia exam right now IMO.

Just put your head down and study, and give it another go.. Or just go straight for CCNA and skip N+, but you should definitely take more time to prepare for that as it will be considerable harder exam.

Thank you for your thoughts.
    Actually I am thinking of retaking the Net+, and prior to move to CCNA, I will try the CCENT, cause in my opinion it`s a lot like Net+ , and will help latter with CCNA R&S or CCNA Security.
    We`ll see.
    But honestly I`m just waiting to see if there will be any on sale voucher from Comptia during this holiday season ..... let`s hope so icon_wink.gif
    CISSP
  • PersianImmortalPersianImmortal Member Posts: 124 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Don't give up on the Net+, it can be a challenging exam. In fact out of all of the cert exams I have taken, my closest to failing score was on the Net+... My advice would be: Don't lose confidence, you may have just gotten a tough combination of questions. If you do end up taking the exam, I would suggest skipping the simulation questions at the start and diving right into the multiple choice. That strategy served me well for the Net+ and Sec+ as I had plenty of time to go back and attempt the simulation questions or review any multiple choice I flagged.

Good luck, and if you decide to take the exam again, I hope you pass!
  • Goteki54Goteki54 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    nemorising wrote: »
    Hi,
    Honestly I felt bad, more for the money I paid for that exam (and why didn`t I get the Deluxe voucher with 1 retake, for 100 bucks more it was worth it) than for the time spent on this exam.
    I followed an online course (which I got last December, a bundle of Comptia exams for $50), and it looked not that difficult, so thats why I decided to register. After that course, and the notes I took during it, I used a couple of video nuggets and went over those for the last 5 days, without having a specific book to work with. Somehow I managed to use my experince (I have been working as HelpDesk,Desktop support, Network & Windows Admin since 2009).......... but that being said I still failed on this exam.
    Honestly I needed more time, (for the last 15 questions that I flagged to review, I had only 7 minutes) ....... and the questions had a little to do with the real world.

I know that Net+ is a basic exam in Networking, and off course I`m moving toward CCNA in the next 6 months, but I wanted to get an opinion, is it worth the money to retake this exam (Net+) or give it a shot to Security+?

Did you try answering the performance questions right off the bat or did you flag them as well? The next time immediately flag the PBQ's to bank the time to focus on them last. Also, did you follow the CompTIA objectives? you said you had a bundle of CompTia exams? What do you mean, like old exams?
    CompTIA A+, Network+, Security +., SSCP
    Hi Goteki
    Yes actually I flagged the PBQ questions and a few others that I knew it would take me more time, but it turned out that for the last 7 minutes, I had 15 more questions ........
    No honestly I didn't follow CompTIA Objectives , cause I didn`t have a book to study, I just followed on online course.
    The bundle of CompTIA exams, actually was a bundle of online courses for CompTIA Exams like A+. Coud Essentials, Cloud+, Net+ and Security+ which I bought last Black Friday or Cyber Monday for $50.
    CISSP
  • dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would agree on going back and passing it. Don't make it a habit of turning your back on exams you fail as this is a dangerous habit that could follow you to future exams. Also use this as a way to recover and learn from your mistakes, something that will be invaluable when you're trying to pass an exam you really must pass for various reasons. Good luck, keep your chin up.
  • Goteki54Goteki54 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    nemorising wrote: »
    Hi,

Don't sweat it. Best advice is make sure you understand fully the Network + objectives and take your time reading the questions. You were close, so it's nothing drastic you have to do. I would only advise you go forward with CCNA if you have a solid foundation understanding of Network+/CCENT. The old saying goes, trying to build a building on an unstable foundation never ends well.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, Security +., SSCP