Passed CISSP 10/24...2nd Attempt

GrounderGrounder Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just passed the CISSP today on my 2nd attempt.

First attempt was a little under 2 months back in August where I failed with a 650.

I got a little busy since I am currently transitioning out of the military, but I was trying to make an active attempt to get it before I got out (since I didn't have to pay for it).

I hear a lot of flak on the CISSP these days but I feel it was a very good milestone in my career (6 years experience and I am still only 24)

I did attend a bootcamp before my first attempt but I feel like I did not really take full advantage of it (took it too early was hard to keep pace when I was still new to most of the material)

I am also from a Systems background so the Networking stuff was still a little rusty to me.

But my study list was as follows from most helpful to least helpful.

Shon Harris (New Book)
Sybex (New Book)
ISC Official Training Book (the one that came with the bootcamp)
Skillset (~90% completed)
ISC Official CBK (this book was just not very good)

The Shon Harris book I really did like for exam prep, but man that ISC training book from the class is very detailed and will forever be the book I prefer to reference material from.

Going through the endorsement process now and I will actually get the cert after I start my new job.

Looking to more into security focused roles in the near future.

Comments

• heyyydaveheyyydave Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I take my test tomorrow and just like you am transferring out of the navy. So i totally get the being busy thing. I cant wait to get it over with. But good to see more military guys getting this cert before they get out.
  • sameojsameoj Member Posts: 366 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    I don't think no one disputes the certification's HR power into getting a Gov't job, contracting or otherwise. It also shows that you have the fortitude to tackling a pretty tough cert. Now with that said, I had a lot of supervisors (Army Officers) who didn't know jack **** about IT Security, but held the CISSP.

Doesn't take away in a job well done
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats, nice work pushing forward and passing.
  • IaHawkIaHawk Member Posts: 188 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats, way to stick with it!
  • mudflapsmudflaps Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good job! Bet it feels great.
  • TranceSoulBrotherTranceSoulBrother Member Posts: 215
    For you guys transitioning out of the military with the CISSP and all this experience, do you see much interest from employers during interviews?
  • TankerTTankerT Member Posts: 132
    Congrats on the pass!
  • xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    For you guys transitioning out of the military with the CISSP and all this experience, do you see much interest from employers during interviews?

I can't speak for people who hold a CISSP, but I do hold 8 years of IT experience in the Army (25B) and only a Sec+. I did not have trouble finding any work and started working within a month after I transition out (I actually wish I waited longer). I have had interests and interviews to include Nike, Google, AT&T, Army and Nike. Now I did get passed up in a few specific roles because I didn't have a mid level certification and they told me straight out that I have the experience, just not the credentials (compliance job with a law firm in Chicago).

These guys on the forum are not lying when they say experience trumps all others, but CISSP can definitely help you get in the door or help close a deal.

DoD is another story. Most of them just care about credentials.
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • heyyydaveheyyydave Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mudflaps wrote: »
    Good job! Bet it feels great.

Yes i get job offers all the time, I'm not even out yet (two more weeks until end of contact) and i already have a security analyst position that pays well above what i was making in the military. So i don't know if your still in and thinking about getting the cert, but if I could go back I would have gotten the CISSP way sooner.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • pinksjpinksj Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on keeping up the spirit and taking the exam second time. I have know individuals who have just left it and took other certifications.
    Good job.
  • Deadly-DosageDeadly-Dosage Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good on ya Grounder! I am glad you found a way to win and not let the 650 stop you. I retired in September from the military and our baby boy was born a week ago so timing sometimes is everything. I hope to join you as a second timer. Best wishes and thank you for your service!
    Grounder wrote: »
    Just passed the CISSP today on my 2nd attempt.

First attempt was a little under 2 months back in August where I failed with a 650.

I got a little busy since I am currently transitioning out of the military, but I was trying to make an active attempt to get it before I got out (since I didn't have to pay for it).

I hear a lot of flak on the CISSP these days but I feel it was a very good milestone in my career (6 years experience and I am still only 24)

I did attend a bootcamp before my first attempt but I feel like I did not really take full advantage of it (took it too early was hard to keep pace when I was still new to most of the material)

I am also from a Systems background so the Networking stuff was still a little rusty to me.

But my study list was as follows from most helpful to least helpful.

Shon Harris (New Book)
    Sybex (New Book)
    ISC Official Training Book (the one that came with the bootcamp)
    Skillset (~90% completed)
    ISC Official CBK (this book was just not very good)

The Shon Harris book I really did like for exam prep, but man that ISC training book from the class is very detailed and will forever be the book I prefer to reference material from.

Going through the endorsement process now and I will actually get the cert after I start my new job.

Looking to more into security focused roles in the near future.
  • GrounderGrounder Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I also can't speak for having the CISSP when I interviewed as well (obv) but I do receive a massive amount of interested from employers mainly because of having a TS in the DC area.

That right there is the golden ticket from leaving the military.
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□