CEHv9 Book Comparisons

JinuyrJinuyr Member Posts: 251 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello!

I would like to start preparing for the CEH exam now that I have finally completed my CISSP. I'm looking for suggestions on books as well as people's thoughts on the various types: easier to read, more technical, pretty pictures, etc...

So far, I have found the following books on Amazon...

CEH v9: Certified Ethical Hacker Version 9 Study Guide by Oriyano
CEH Certified Ethical Hacker All-in-One Exam Guide, Third Edition
by Matt Walker

I would love to know what other books are out there that I should consider to get good at learning the material to eventually pass the exam.

Thank you for your time! (=

Comments

• TranceSoulBrotherTranceSoulBrother Member Posts: 215
    Either book is good. Add the videos on Cybrary or what you can find on youtube.
    Understand the concepts and lab it if you can.
    Use Boson for practice tests if you can afford it.
    You should be able to pass. Good luck.
  • JinuyrJinuyr Member Posts: 251 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks @TranceSoulBrother. What is the main difference between the two? Which one is easier to read or has less filler?
  • CuttlefishJonesCuttlefishJones Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The Matt Walker book is by far the best of the two. The official guide kind of skims all the topics but is built around the premise you will be attending the offical training course. The AIO covers the topics in depth and has a sense of humour which is a very positive reinforcement posture for learning what is pretty dense material.
  • BuzzSawBuzzSaw Member Posts: 259 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I will second the notion on the Matt Walker book (or called "AIO" by some of us)

I would study the AIO and then use the time that you would spend reading the Sybex book on something like Videos or lab time. For me, my two favorites tools were: Lab work (virtual home lab) and the Boson Examsim
  • Z0sickxZ0sickx Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    BuzzSaw wrote: »
    I will second the notion on the Matt Walker book (or called "AIO" by some of us)

I would study the AIO and then use the time that you would spend reading the Sybex book on something like Videos or lab time. For me, my two favorites tools were: Lab work (virtual home lab) and the Boson Examsim

if you use the matt walker book exclusively you will be fine! i would buy the BOSON simulator for reinforcement and Skillset (even though its community based questions) it will give you pretty much unlimited amount of test questions i did about 1500-2000 questions of skillset
  • R@d1shR@d1sh Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Highly recommend the Matt Walker materials. The Oriyano materials were riddled with errors and had poorly worded test questions. Most notably, practice exam B stated that RFC 18 was for private IP Space? Their editor did a poor job, should have been 1918. The materials were poorly explained throughout the book and the practice exams. I shelled out $ since version 3 of Matt Walker wasn't out yet. I wound up using Walker v2 from Safari which was excellent. He does a great job of explaining the concepts and helping learn through analogy. I take my exam soon, used the ilabs and Walker materials, paired with the slides that come with the ECCouncil training deck.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    R@d1sh wrote: »
    Most notably, practice exam B stated that RFC 18 was for private IP Space? Their editor did a poor job, should have been 1918.
    I'm looking through the Oriyano CEH V9 books now and I don't see anything labeled as "Practice Exam B." The Oriyano CEH V9 Practice Tests book has practice tests 1 though 5.

Also, the editor has no subject-matter expertise to know any difference between "RFC 18" and "RFC 1918." That error is on the author and technical reviewers to catch. Publishing editors do spelling, grammar, punctuation, style, formatting, continuity, etc.
    JDMurray wrote: »
    I'm looking through the Oriyano CEH V9 books now and I don't see anything labeled as "Practice Exam B." The Oriyano CEH V9 Practice Tests book has practice tests 1 though 5.

Also, the editor has no subject-matter expertise to know any difference between "RFC 18" and "RFC 1918." That error is on the author and technical reviewers to catch. Publishing editors do spelling, grammar, punctuation, style, formatting, continuity, etc.

Good catch, it was the second exam on the list, 2, not B. Samsonite - I was way off.

Editor, Technical Editor, Author, Technical Reviewer... someone let a simple one by.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Yes, the stem of Practice Test 2, item 32 reads, "What is significant about RFC 18?"

Errata items can be reported at https://hub.wiley.com/community/support/sybex

Just to be thorough, I checked RFC 18 (released in 1969) and it doesn't apply to any of the answer options. ;)
    I did the same, and panicked wondering if I needed to cram up on IMP-IMP or HOST-HOST control link topics
  • TriggeriousTriggerious Member Posts: 21 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CBTNuggets has the latest v9 material by Keith Barker for what it's worth.
  • horusthesunhorusthesun Member Posts: 289
    CBTNuggets has the latest v9 material by Keith Barker for what it's worth.

Cool. I will start watching these next week

side not almost done reading Sybex CompTIA Security + Study Guide.. a short review .. it is a study guide like a rambling Exam Cram Book.