CCNP all three exams passed having CCNA expired

AS123AS123 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi there,

Can anyone confirm what happens if you pass all three exams of CCNP however CCNA was already expired, do you get CCNP certification once you pass CCNA again after CCNP exams?

CCNA Expired - 2012
CCNP Route passed - 2015
CCNP Switch passed - 2016
CCNP - Tshoot passed - 2016

Comments

• MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Once you pass both 100-205/200-105 or take the accelerated exam 200-125 (my recommendation), you'll get both CCNA and CCNP certifications
  • AS123AS123 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you MitM for responding quickly.

Another follow up question please: Is there any time limit for passing CCNA i.e. one of the options you mentioned? or these CCNP exams will remain valid forever till CCNA is passed to get both the certifications?
    MitM wrote: »
    Once you pass both 100-205/200-105 or take the accelerated exam 200-125 (my recommendation), you'll get both CCNA and CCNP certifications

Thank you MitM for responding quickly.

Another follow up question please: Is there any time limit for passing CCNA i.e. one of the options you mentioned? or these CCNPexams will remain valid forever till CCNA is passed to get both the certifications?
  • clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    are you sure your ccna was expired? as in a valid ccna is one of the prerequisites for taking a ccnp exam.

Prerequisites
    Valid CCNA Routing and Switching certification or any CCIE Certification can act as a prerequisite.

if your ccna has expired, you shouldn't have been allowed to take the ccnp exams.

your ccna is valid for 3 years. One of the ways it is renewed is by passing a ccnp exam.
    then your ccna and ccnp is renewed by passing another ccnp exam.

So, if you ask me, your ccna and ccnp is valid into 2019.
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    clarson wrote: »
    are you sure your ccna was expired? as in a valid ccna is one of the prerequisites for taking a ccnp exam.

Prerequisites
    Valid CCNA Routing and Switching certification or any CCIE Certification can act as a prerequisite.

Those aren't prerequisites for taking the exam, but prerequisites for getting the certification. MitM is correct in saying that passing the CCNA R+S exam is the quickest way to get the CCNP valid.

The passes on the exams are, I'm 98% sure, valid for 3 years from the most recent pass. So in this scenario, 3 years from the date of passing the TSHOOT. However, I wouldn't waste any time. The CCNA R+S is relatively easy once you have CCNP knowledge.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I may be wrong, but I always thought only full certifications renew when you take an equal or higher level exams.

For instance, if you took ROUTE on January 1 2011, SWITCH on January 1 2012 but TSHOOT on Jan 1 2015, you would not earn the CCNP certification because ROUTE would have expired on Jan 1 2014

Hopefully, I'm wrong about that, because that would mean I'd have to take ROUTE/SWITCH again if I ever wanted to do CCDP.

As Octal said, just do the CCNA soon and not waste time :)
  • mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    clarson wrote: »
    if your ccna has expired, you shouldn't have been allowed to take the ccnp exams.
    Do you have a link to this information, or is it just your personal opinion? I don't recall any verification happening when I took my CCNP exams, if you register & pay the money they will let you sit the exam, in my own experience.
    I believe MitM is correct, once you pass the CCNA you will meet all the qualifications for the CCNP. As to the question about individual test expiration, I haven't heard that they expire - but they do change the tests periodically to a different exam number, and the old exam becomes invalid. You can check the requirements on the Cisco Learning Network to see whether the versions of tests you passed are still the right ones you need for the CCNP. There is also a community message board there, you can ask these questions & someone from Cisco will be able to see it + respond.
  • negru_tudornegru_tudor Member Posts: 473 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I can vouch for this. You can sit and pass, for example, the CCNP R&S exams (all 3 of them) but Cisco will NOT grant you the CCNP title until you sit and pass the CCNA exam(s) - it's that simple.
    2017-2018 goals:
    [X] CIPTV2 300-075
    [ ] SIP School SSCA
    [X] CCNP Switch 300-115 [X] CCNP Route 300-101 [X] CCNP Tshoot 300-135
    [ ] LPIC1-101 [ ] LPIC1-102 (wishful thinking)
    Thank you all, I had same understand as MitM mentioned, I have to pass CCNA R&S before the first of CCNP exams get expired to get the CCNP certification else I would have to re pass the exams which are expired from CCNP pool.