Options

Humour me hear pleas

tripleatriplea Member Posts: 190 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi,

I'm after the solution to the following please, just think I might be forgetting how to do something from my dim and distant past.

WE have a network with a number of laptops that connect over SSL open VPN. They get assigned a 10.*.*.* address fine however although they connect to our exchange fine they cannot map to any internal network drives on our file server ( not the same box used for exchange ). We have a local host file entry for the server and IP.

If I went to [URL="file://\\server\user_files"]\\server\user_files[/URL] you find all the drives unaccessable however
if I went to [URL="file://\\172.16.0.4\user"]\\172.16.0.4\user[/URL] files then it works fine so it must be a dns issue?

It there a place that I cant tell windows 7/10 to map or something similar that 172.16.0.4 is [URL="file://\\server"]\\server[/URL] ( I know it should do this automatically and if the laptop physically on our network theres no issue, ever. )

Doesn't happen all the time but in the majority.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What are you using for the VPN gateway?

It could be DNS or it could be an issue with the VPN. I work with SonicWALLs a lot and they tend to not like broadcast (NetBIOS) over SSL tunnels. If you are using a SonicWALL I would suggest giving the IPsec tunnel a shot (GVC / Global client);

With DNS, are you using your own server? If so, are the VPN clients obtaining their addressing from the tunnel or a static pool? If you do run your own DNS, make sure they are getting the correct DNS. I would also make sure you can resolve the server name from the VPN machine - you can test that by using nslookup against the name and seeing if it resolves. If it doesn't, then there is your issue.
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You could always edit the host files and put in those entries.