thanks

Comments

• KalabasterKalabaster Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    MJK9550 wrote: »
    Worth to get?

Thoughts about this cert?

thanks

no

Certifications: A+, Net+, Sec+, Project+, Linux+/LPIC-1/SUSE CLA, C|EH, eWPT, GMON, GWAPT, GCIH, eCPPT, GPEN, GXPN, OSCP, CISSP.
    WGU, BS-IT, Security: C178, C255, C100, C132, C164, C173, C172, C480, C455, ORA1, C182, C168, C394, C393, C451, C698, C697, C176, C456, C483, C170, C175, C169, C299, C246, C247, C376, C179, C278, C459, C463, C435, C436.
    Legend: Completed, In-Progress, Next
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Do you see the certification listed for openings in your area? I see OSCP listed as the desired cert for pen testing roles.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am considering doing it early next year. I am feeling the certification bug again.
    It's supposed to be more like the OSCP in that you have to break into a bunch of boxes and write a report.
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MJK9550 wrote: »
    Worth to get?

Thoughts about this cert?

thanks
    No. You still need to get CEH and ECSA first before going for LPT. CEH is a good intro to pen testing though and some HR folks like it. If you are still interested after getting CEH, check out eLearnSecurity, GIAC SANS and Offensive Security certs.

And the idea of telling others especially non-IT folks that you are a "Licensed Penetration Tester"? icon_cry.gif I will pass ..
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't remember any breaking into boxes or writing a report back in the V4-7 EC|H nonsense. It was pass a couple of tests, send some money in with a local police background check (national or international not needed) and get a frameable certificate saying you were a sucker for cert.

Sounds like a good deal for EC-Council though.

- b/eads
    Mike7 wrote: »
    No. You still need to get CEH and ECSA first before going for LPT. CEH is a good intro to pen testing though and some HR folks like it. If you are still interested after getting CEH, check out eLearnSecurity, GIAC SANS and Offensive Security certs.

And the idea of telling others especially non-IT folks that you are a "Licensed Penetration Tester"? I will pass ..

I don't need the ECSA, as I have the OSCP. I am eligible to apply to take the course/exam.
    beads wrote: »
    I don't remember any breaking into boxes or writing a report back in the V4-7 EC|H nonsense. It was pass a couple of tests, send some money in with a local police background check (national or international not needed) and get a frameable certificate saying you were a sucker for cert.

Sounds like a good deal for EC-Council though.

- b/eads
    To be eligible to apply to sit for the LPT (Master) Exam, candidate must either.
    • Be an ECSA member in good standing (Your USD$100 application fee will be waived); or
    • Have a minimum of 2 years working experience in pentesting (You will need to pay USD$100 as a non-refundable application fee); or
    • Have any other approved industry certifications such as OSCP or GPEN cert (You will need to pay USD$100 as a non-refundable application fee).

It has changed considerably since its inception.
    https://www.eccouncil.org/programs/licensed-penetration-tester-lpt-master/
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MrAgent wrote: »
    I don't need the ECSA, as I have the OSCP. I am eligible to apply to take the course/exam.
    Was not aware of the changes. So any plans to go for it?

Did a LinkedIn job search and it seems that LPT is held in high regard for those who knows. For example, this one list of desired certifications includes OSCP, GPEN,GREM,LPT. Seems that LPT also stands for Licensed Psychiatric Technician, so ....
    I am sure I will work on it at some point. I just need to figure out if I can do GPEN or GXPN and LPT on my company's dime.
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    To take a different approach, it sounds like you are early in your career and are looking for what "end" to aim at. This is always a problem since by the time you get half way, either the end has changed (markets change, technologies change, certifying bodies change, certifications change), or you've decided that you don't like the path your on, or life has changed.

So yes you do need something to aim for, but you need to be flexible to change as needed. So a top down and bottom up view can be useful. For example, if you take the LPT as your end goal, then you know you'll need to take CEH and ECSA first. And to be ready for CEH, some general security and networking and IT knowledge is good to have. But you also know that if you get that basic info sec knowledge (eg Security+) then there are other directions you could head. So explore some of the alternatives in case you want to, or need to, change paths.

I think up to the CEH point on that path, it's fairly safe. After that, maybe ask the question again. It might be that the GPEN or OSCA or eLearnSecurity paths are better.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • MJK9550MJK9550 Member Posts: 160
    Yea LPT will be way further down the road if I decide to take it, I have a plan for my certs just wondering if I should add this one to the list that's all lol
  • roninkaironinkai Member Posts: 307 ■■■■□□□□□□
    After 3 certs with EC-Council, I am very disappointed in the quality of their training and exams. I would go the OSCP route, skip over the high level EC-Council stuff. Its just crap IMO.
    浪人 MSISA:WGU
    ICP-FDO ▪ CISSP ▪ ECES ▪ CHFI ▪ CNDA ▪ CEH ▪ MCSA/MCITP ▪ MCTS ▪ S+
    2020 Level Up Goals: (1) DevSecOps Learning Path (2) OSCP
  • winona_ryderwinona_ryder Member Posts: 42 ■□□□□□□□□□
    LPT has always bugged me. "Licensed"? Not with anyone but EC Council.

I would recommend skipping it and going for the OSCP. The OSCP has relevance in the field, and is looked upon favourably in the industry. It is also, alarmingly good value for the training that you receive
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Skip anything EC-council.

Go OSCP...if you passed, then challenge GPEN, and try eLearnSecurity certifications. If you have more time, do CTF challenges, just dont waste time/money on EC-Council
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE