Do you use git or some othe revision control system as part of your workflow?

alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
in the past, I had done web development so I gained some exposure to the revisioning systems of the day (mainly SVN) and I recently started to use git more as part of my daily workflow. I setup an internal git server(gitlab), which is used for storing configs from some network devices, scripts, source code, package lists from our internal repo servers, and Group Policies. Like so many other things, when you start using it and making it part of a routine, other uses just start magically appearing.

This has been a little harder sell than I thought it would be because my admin colleagues see it as additional work so they aren't completely sold on the merits of keeping information under source control, plus, we don't have any internal policies that require it so it is voluntary.

I know the devs in the crowd are using some form of version control but what about other system admins and network admins, do any of you integrate these types of tools into your day to day operations?
“I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”

Comments

• VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    I'm using it for BASH and Python scripts as well as Ansible Playbooks.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have a local install of git that I started using a few months ago for managing changes to my scripts. You're right about other uses coming to mind once it become part of the routine. My department doesn't have a git server yet, but it should be a pretty easy sell.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I use gitlab for personal stuff I work on, but we use github enterprise at work. On the networking side specifically we use it for versioning control for scripts, config files, ansible, rancid repo.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    blargoe wrote: »
    I have a local install of git that I started using a few months ago for managing changes to my scripts. You're right about other uses coming to mind once it become part of the routine. My department doesn't have a git server yet, but it should be a pretty easy sell.

Gitlab is a really nice setup AFAIC. One of the bigger challenges I have found is trying to round everything up that could/should be under revision control. A lot of this stuff has been the way it is for a decade(or more). While everything is being backed up it isn't easy trying to go back through change mangement systems and correlate the day when a config file changed or something else like it. I mentioned in the first post I also use it to keep track of group policy changes. This took a little bit of doing but I setup some powershell scripts to automatically pull down group policy files once a day and then they get shipped to the gitlab server. This isn't perfect but for a first pass I think it worked out pretty slick. One drawback is I can tell you when but not who since the job runs under a service account. But we can take that and check against the log server to see an audit trail.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”