Nexus 7K Query

dppagcdppagc Member Posts: 293
Ethernet3/12 is down (Link not connected)
admin state is up, Dedicated Interface

Hi I am new to nexus 7k so I got some questions. How can the admin state be up but the interface is down?

Comments

• negru_tudornegru_tudor Member Posts: 473 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cable unplugged? :)
    2017-2018 goals:
    [X] CIPTV2 300-075
    [ ] SIP School SSCA
    [X] CCNP Switch 300-115 [X] CCNP Route 300-101 [X] CCNP Tshoot 300-135
    [ ] LPIC1-101 [ ] LPIC1-102 (wishful thinking)
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would lol this one but I know your other post is asking questions on how make sense of your network. It might be a cable unplugged or the device its plugged into is powered off. To get faster answers you need to do a lot of googling my friend. I provided 2 links of books that should help you understand. Cisco networks book was written for junior engineers to fill in the gaps. Network Warrior gives a cool look at different network technologies that are seen in day to day operations which weren't really discussed in the ccna or something.

https://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Networks-Engineers-Handbook-Switching/dp/1484208609/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478007835&sr=8-1&keywords=cisco+networks

https://www.amazon.com/Network-Warrior-Everything-Need-Wasnt/dp/1449387861/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478007850&sr=8-1&keywords=network+warrior
  • xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Kindly step away from the N7K..
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Not to beat a dead horse and I think there's a fat lady singing somewhere but my advice is this: Go back to your CCNP studies and legitimately study it this time with REAL material. Don't take shortcuts. Don't ask which next cert you should take or if you should take a CCIE next. Not that you're supposed to be an expert at CCNP by any means but CDP, how BDR/DR works, what the purpose of GRE, SSH confusion, what a downed port means, etc - are all things you are expected to have a general understanding of if you studied the material for the CCNP R&S (I mean the books, not the test questions) and you passed the exam without cheating.

It's ok to be a beginner. 100% ok with that - but don't go asking what new professional certs you should get if you haven't legitimately learned the material for the exams you already passed. Also... Google - It's an engineers BEST friend even if they put in the work and got the cert the right way
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • negru_tudornegru_tudor Member Posts: 473 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not to beat a dead horse and I think there's a fat lady singing somewhere but my advice is this: Go back to your CCNP studies and legitimately study it this time with REAL material. Don't take shortcuts. Don't ask which next cert you should take or if you should take a CCIE next. Not that you're supposed to be an expert at CCNP by any means but CDP, how BDR/DR works, what the purpose of GRE, SSH confusion, what a downed port means, etc - are all things you are expected to have a general understanding of if you studied the material for the CCNP R&S (I mean the books, not the test questions) and you passed the exam without cheating.

It's ok to be a beginner. 100% ok with that - but don't go asking what new professional certs you should get if you haven't legitimately learned the material for the exams you already passed. Also... Google - It's an engineers BEST friend even if they put in the work and got the cert the right way

lol does the OP really hold a CCNP title?!?! In that case, time to hit the books again...​hard
    2017-2018 goals:
    [X] CIPTV2 300-075
    [ ] SIP School SSCA
    [X] CCNP Switch 300-115 [X] CCNP Route 300-101 [X] CCNP Tshoot 300-135
    [ ] LPIC1-101 [ ] LPIC1-102 (wishful thinking)
    Yea I'm nervous for his network.... I highly recommend that you do not make any changes or "try" anything without a senior engineer walking you through it. If you mess around and cause an outage it will most likely cost you your job just saying..
    lol does the OP really hold a CCNP title?!?! In that case, time to hit the books again...​hard
    Yes, the OP is a CCNP R&S and has been saying he's going for his CCIE R&S or CCIE SP for some time now. He commenting before that he's a CCNP on paper and my advice to him all along was to be more than just a paper CCNP. I'm all for certing up but if you plan on making a career out of it, make sure you're actually learning the material and you're in a place where you can take that to the next level. Reference:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccnp/122069-after-ccnp-r-s-better-go-ccie-ccnp-security-ccdp.html#post1047374
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccie/116387-ccie-study-plan.html
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccie/114247-finishing-ccnp-now-going-ccie-sp.html
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dmarcisco wrote: »
    Yea I'm nervous for his network.... I highly recommend that you do not make any changes or "try" anything without a senior engineer walking you through it. If you mess around and cause an outage it will most likely cost you your job just saying..

It's probably a case of the blind leading the blind. Would be willing to bet that the Senior engineers there aren't very Senior. If you let in a CCNP who isn't even on a CCNA-level what does that say about the people working there? That would be the most likely scenario. It is possible he dumped the interview too though.
    Excellent point! yikes for them lol, But of course I have to ask "How does one **** for an interview? :P Unless if he knew someone who worked there and the hiring manager used the same default questions for everyone and that information was passed to him prior the interview but thats a whole different conversation lol.

He did mention in his "how to reverse engineer his network" post that his team inherited the network or something along those lines. I am feeling a little lazy to go back and fact check lol but that is probably the case. I think it may be time for some consultants to step in just saying lol.
    dmarcisco wrote: »
    Excellent point! yikes for them lol, But of course I have to ask "How does one **** for an interview? :P Unless if he knew someone who worked there and the hiring manager used the same default questions for everyone and that information was passed to him prior the interview but thats a whole different conversation lol.

He did mention in his "how to reverse engineer his network" post that his team inherited the network or something along those lines. I am feeling a little lazy to go back and fact check lol but that is probably the case. I think it may be time for some consultants to step in just saying lol.

About 6-7 years ago I was going through an Indian recruiter for a system administrator position and she sent me a word file to review before the HR filter interview and when I opened it, it had a bunch basic linux questions, tcp vs udp, telnet vs ssh, those sort of things. About 30 questions total with the answers. Sure enough when I got the call from the recruiter(won't name the company but let's just say they are a well known electrical company) the same questions were asked. I knew the answers beforehand anyway but it certainly felt wrong and awkward.

After the interview she e-mailed me and asked what questions were asked that weren't on her file. I did not continue the process with this company because I took another offer but I'm willing to bet she had **** for every step of the way.

So to answer your question, it's very possible to **** an interview if you go through one of these recruiters. You can even go on Glassdoor and get SOME questions but this is a while other level of dumping.

So this company that the OP works for could very well be filled with dumpers. You certainly wouldn't want to work in a place like this if you are legitimate.
    oh wow I didn't know that was a thing
    Yeah, I've see people pay others to do their technical phone interviews probably thinking that it's the only technical interview they need to do but when I get the guy in person, they have a different speech cadence and they couldn't engineer themselves out of a wet paper bag.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    xnx wrote: »
    Kindly step away from the N7K..

icon_lol.gif haha, sorry couldn't help it
  • MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□

Great response. ^5
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□

Awesome. Thanks for always putting things in a perspective Iris. dppagc needs to get back to the drawing board.
    lol.
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • dppagcdppagc Member Posts: 293
    dppagc wrote: »
    Ethernet3/12 is down (Link not connected)
    admin state is up, Dedicated Interface

Hi I am new to nexus 7k so I got some questions. How can the admin state be up but the interface is down?

Okay I get it. The "no shutdown" was on but unfortunately the cable was not plugged in. The guy just left the useless config there during production...

It confused me.
  • dppagcdppagc Member Posts: 293
    koz24 wrote: »
    It's probably a case of the blind leading the blind. Would be willing to bet that the Senior engineers there aren't very Senior. If you let in a CCNP who isn't even on a CCNA-level what does that say about the people working there? That would be the most likely scenario. It is possible he dumped the interview too though.

Nexus 7k is fairly new on the market. To be fair, in a cisco IOS it will just say "down/down". In nexus 7k it is admin state up but cable unplugged. Syntax is confusing.
  • joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The 7k (and nexus family in general) is just over 8 years old now. Not exactly new
    Not sure how "Link not connected" is confusing.

Dppagc, buddy, you gotta go back and earn this CCNP the right way. I got to tell you that your questions tend to fall into three categories on here:

1) Stuff you should already know because you're a fairly new CCNP
    2) Stuff you can either infer or google with ease and know
    3) Advice for jumping ahead in your career without really taking a step back and starting with a good foundation

That's not to say that we won't all have our brainfart moments but think of it this way: If you're standing out with this questions on a public forum, how is the perception going to be in a technical interview or professional role where you're struggling with understanding if a passive interface blocks DHCP or not, or why a neighbor is removed from the routing table immediately when the link is brought down, how to configure telnet, how OSPF works, etc.

You may have a very different life situation than all of us. If I had to guess by when you post, I'm going to guess you're probably in a different part of the world than me and maybe there is a lot more society pressure to move up quicker. Step back. Relax and study the right way. If you have a solid foundation, you'll be surprised by how fast you move up and how your likelihood of a resume generating event goes down.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • shortstop20shortstop20 Member Posts: 161 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well said and unfortunately I think dppagc needs to go back and really learn CCNA stuff too.
    CCNA Security - 6/11/2018
    CCNP TShoot - 3/7/2018
    CCNP Route - 1/31/2018
    CCNP Switch - 12/10/2015
    CCNA R/S - 1/14/2015
  • teuchterteuchter Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□

A lot of companies will go for Certs, I believe it's caused by HR sometimes using google to "understand" jobs.

For instance our old senior had a CCNP but had never actually worked on half the technology. He worked here 3 months before leaving and caused 2 major outages for stupid things.
    teuchter wrote: »
    A lot of companies will go for Certs, I believe it's caused by HR sometimes using google to "understand" jobs.

For instance our old senior had a CCNP but had never actually worked on half the technology. He worked here 3 months before leaving and caused 2 major outages for stupid things.

I see. Well cases like that are what give certs a bad name. People get the CCNP and assume it automatically qualifies them for Senior roles. If you are a CCNP with no experience then you shouldn't be applying to Senior jobs and likewise companies shouldn't be hiring you for those positions. Hard to say though without knowing your vetting process. Did he actually have any experience prior to you hiring him? Did your team conduct thorough technical interviews? Those would be some questions I would ask if a CCNP took the network down a few times.
  • teuchterteuchter Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Did he actually have any experience prior to you hiring him? Did your team conduct thorough technical interviews? Those would be some questions I would ask if a CCNP took the network down a few times.

He worked for a large out sourcing company, i expect they had very limited exposure to technical changes. funny enough he is now a field engineer only installing equipment.

I don't expect their was any as it was a server guy and our regional manager who conducted the invterview.

this whole issue is why i have taken a long time to study for my CCNP, i dont want to be a "on paper" CCNP.