Gmail

AlienAlien Member Posts: 398
I once had high confidence in gmail but recently i have had to question this. Okay here are a few of my concerns.
- After logging out of gmail, if i click back the gmail URL from the address bar, it directly opens up my mail without going thru the login screen for authentication. This happens despite the fact that i do not choose to let it remember my password nor have i configured this setting on my browser.
- Recently the gmail server has a tendency of being down or busy at the moment when you most need it.

I know this is a free program and perhaps i shouldn't be complaining but i think gmail's hype is quicking running out and hotmail is regaining its credibitly for being reliable and efficient, user friendly and graphically appealing with msn. messenger to boot. Just my two cents.
Hard times on planet earth.

Comments

• keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    This is not specific to Gmail. Same thing happens with yahoo, hotmail and the others. This is because of IE and in some cases server side settings, not the mail system. You'll find that it has more to do with default browser settings than anything else. You should also find that this is also a timing thing. For example, if you browse to another page and stay at that page for an extended period of time, you will be asked to re-authenticate.
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Yes, change your cache/cookes prefrences on IE.
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    never liked gmail, if it wasnt free, and so much space, I wouldnt even bother having an account with them.

I use it as my "**** account", **** goes in, **** gets out...
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Same thing here...best bet if you want to be signed out, click sign-out before you leave the site...Gmail is great for a junk email account....
    i remain, he who remains to be....
    I use gmail alot. What email do you guys use?
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    garv221 wrote:
    I use gmail alot. What email do you guys use?

yahoo beta primarily.
    My school uses matrix mail, which I find ok as well.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
    Cool. I never had a yahoo account, I have a hotmail but rarely use it as I don't do messenger. I like gmails functions.
  • seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    For any type of junk mail i always just use mailinator.

If you dont know what it is go check it out.

www.mailinator.com
    I use Yahoo for most "important" stuff. Gmail for signing up for stuff, and newsletters, of that matter. I think they are both fine for whatever you need. I also have an ISP address, which receives a lot of old newsletters and other stuff, which was before I had the Yahoo or Gmail accounts. My profile here and at few other sites are registered with my ISP. It does have webmail access, so I can get all my mail, no matter where I am. That mailinator thing sounds pretty cool, but on the spot chance someone else picks or knows the email you used, what happens then? What kind of security do they have.....I suppose you wouldn't have anything secured sent through them anyway......
  • SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    Gmail is beginning to disappoint me. My new job has been sending me emails regarding my start date and important information and gmail has a problem receiving them, it takes about 2 or more weeks to receive an email. I've heard of this happening to other ppl with gmail and not specific to this new jobs e-mails.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Back to the original post, if you go back to the address bar and it's the same window in which you had previously opened gmail it's not going to ask you to reauth
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've been using gmail for about a year and a half now and it's the best email system I've ever used. It's got a near limitless storage capacity, fantastic spam filtering, and with the tag system you can make virtual directories. It's free and it's globally accessable, what's to complain aabout?
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
    Here's one thing I noticed about Gmail. When I get spam in my inbox, I click on the button that marks it as spam, and then it just moves it to the spam folder, as opposed to deleting the email itself, so I have to go delete it manually. Yahoo spam filter just gets rid of the message entirely....
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ricka182 wrote:
    Here's one thing I noticed about Gmail. When I get spam in my inbox, I click on the button that marks it as spam, and then it just moves it to the spam folder, as opposed to deleting the email itself, so I have to go delete it manually. Yahoo spam filter just gets rid of the message entirely....

The gmail filter empties automatically after 30 days. The reason it doesn't auto-delete spam is because there are times when a spam filter catches genuine mail, and with the gmail filter you can check your spam filter cache to retrieve mail you actually wanted if it's deleted by mistake.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I'm with the crowd that loves gmail. It is the best email client I've ever used, and I haven't wished for anything different since I began using it.
  • endersftdendersftd Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I enjoy using Gmail, but primarily because of the space it gives me. I miss not having folders to organize e-mails in (but I suppose I can just use an e-mail client and make the folders stored on my computer).

There is some security risk to using Gmail, though, if you search often with Google. Since Google keeps a database of searches, it can link your e-mail entity to your searches. It shouldn't be a problem theoretically, but AOL ran into a similar situation when it leaked out several thousand users' search results. Be careful if Gmail is your primary e-mail account for personal activities.
    "We will rule over all this land, and we will call it...'This Land.'"
  • AlienAlien Member Posts: 398
    I agree that generally gmail offers more than enough space but my beef is due to the fact that i use it for my official mail which is why i got concerned with the automatic login without authentication. I am quite positive about this since this usually happens after i have logged out of gmail and later clicked the www.gmail.com from the address bar. It would automatically login which is something that doesn't happen with msn. I don't say that its bad but i'd rather, they address this issues. Imagine the risks when surfing from a cybercafe. By the way, i checked my internet browser settings and everything seems to be okay apart from the fact that i haven't had this experience with mozilla so it could be IE.
    Hard times on planet earth.