CSA+ opinions

EnticlesEnticles Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I was just wondering if anyone here was a beta exam taker for the upcoming CompTIA Cybersecurity Analyst+ exam that is due to be released in February 2017. I am working through my Security+ now and from the CompTIA side of things i am hoping to end up with a CASP certification in the not too distant future.

My question is this: how much harder than the S+ was the CSA+?

My understanding is it is intended to be a stop-gap between S+ and CASP. I am assuming CASP is *much* harder than S+ and they needed something in middle to allow easier transition from S+ to CASP? i could be way off base here but that's just my observation and opinion.

any insight / feedback about the CSA+ is much appreciated icon_smile.gif

Comments

• PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I guess it wasn't harder, per se. It was geared towards what security analysts do, so it was more specific.

Security+ is about cybersecurity concepts that you need to be aware of in IT.
  • EnticlesEnticles Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
    thanks for the info PJ_Sneakers :)

I think i am fairly certain in my mind that i will be working towards the CASP, and intend to grab S+ and CSA+ along the way.

it can't hurt to know more about security :D and i am enjoying the studies of IT security.
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I would say CSA+ is more technical than Sec+ in that if you don't have any experience doing the tasks it tests you on, you're just making guesses. Hopefully educated ones.
    I would say CSA+ is more technical than Sec+ in that if you don't have any experience doing the tasks it tests you on, you're just making guesses. Hopefully educated ones.

Ah, I see.

at the moment they do not have any exam objectives on the CompTIA website, i am hoping that if there is a requirement for familiarity with a specific suite of applications (or a minimum experience level requirement) that this will be mentioned on the exam objectives.

I do plan on spending some time with the likes of bro, snort, and wireshark to get familiar with them. Unfortunately the clients that i do work with are either small businesses whom do not want to purchase the kind of software / equipment that would allow me to get security experience with, or they have centralized helpdesks and i end up being the "hands and feet" for.

This makes it tough to really get the level of input and/or control that these exams expect you to have in your experience arsenal come exam-time.

Still, i imagine the CSA+ is likely a minimum of 12-18 months away for me, so there is time for me to gain some experience :)
  • ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I took the beta for CSA+. and used CEH books to prep. Honestly, while not an exact match, the CEH material seemed to adequately cover a lot of the types of material found in the CSA+, and having Security+ level concepts down is also important. If I didn't pass the beta, I look forward to seeing a couple texts specific to CSA+ come out, and getting some lab time analyzing with some of the products to pursue it as well. Security+ is a great test, but more about general topics and vocabulary words. CSA+ seems to have some of that, but also has some practical application of that knowledge.
    Well that is good to hear, i have found myself wondering at which point exams move from theory validation to testing your practical skillset.

I haven't sat the S+ exam yet as work decided to fasttrack me onto a 70-410 microsoft course. but once i am done with that i'll be returning to the CompTIA track to get S+, CSA, and CASP. although we are talking a few years before all of that is completed.
  • trueshrewkmctrueshrewkmc Member Posts: 107
    I can understand Sec+ and CASP.....not sure about compulsion to do CSA. Maybe CSA will gain relevance in a few years....
  • Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241
    Took the CSA. Studying for the CEH. I think the CSA is CompTIA's version of the CEH. I enjoyed the exam.
    Current: OSCP

Next: CCNP (R&S and Sec)

Follow my OSCP Thread!
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Got my results today! Passed! Nice $50 spent.
  • jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Passed my CSA+ was so excited when I got the email I ran upstairs immediately and pulled down the results. Awesome beta exam did not even study and got a pass because it is real world. :)
  • H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Got my results and was informed I passed as well :D was a great $50 test, glad I partook :D Definitely worth investigating once the certification and materials are released for those looking to enter SOC/CSIRT type roles.
    Oops. this was back from the dead.

Follow my OSCP Thread!
  • DntH8MeDntH8Me Member Posts: 73 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was pretty excited to get the email today to find out that I passed the CSA+. I've been pretty bummed about failing the CASP and have been studying for a 2nd attempt. For those that are considering I know cost + roi will be some of the questions you will have especially since it is a new exam. IMO it is/will be a good cert to have , personally I still plan on buying a study guide. If you are trying to compare Sec+ | CSA+ | CASP.. don't they really don't compare at all. The CSA+ I think would be a great primmer in the CEH direction while the CASP moves more towards CISSP (I think it has stronger technical direction than the CISSP). Overall I'm glad that I took the time to take the beta and as a bonus it renewed my Sec+ (not sure what will happen when I finally pass the CASP icon_cheers.gif
    2019 Certification Goals: ​CEH | PenText + | CISM? | stop procrastinating
    DntH8Me wrote: »
    Overall I'm glad that I took the time to take the beta and as a bonus it renewed my Sec+ (not sure what will happen when I finally pass the CASP icon_cheers.gif

CASP will renew all your CompTIA certs.

Follow my OSCP Thread!
    I appreciate all the input guys :)

its nice to hear its more real-world with the CSA+, I got 90% through the course material for the Sec+ and passed my Net+ not too long ago and found that it was all theory. whilst it is great to know the theory, i would not necessarily be able to go and be a network administrator working with SCADA / SIEM / Syslog just because i have my Net+. I wish it had some hands-on testing, but i guess that is the issue with being vendor neutral - you can't test someone on something specific.

CSA+ is on my 2017 / 2018 roadmap with CASP. will be interesting to see what study materials come out for it :)