Recommended CISSP Study Material and Exam Info

OmniManOmniMan Member Posts: 78 ■■■□□□□□□□
Can you tell me how to take the Exam? Is it usually offered every 6 months or can I just go to an authorized testing center like Security + and take it. What is the typical cost? Is it all multiple choice or are there performance based questions?

Here is my study material:

https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Information-Security-Professional-Official/dp/1119042712/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478264563&sr=8-1&keywords=cissp

Is this enough to pass? If not, what else do I need?

Comments

• OmniManOmniMan Member Posts: 78 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Also would I easily be able to pass the GSEC with this CISSP training?
  • dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can take the test at Pearson Vue testing centers. Like the CompTIA exams, you can schedule it just about any time.

As for study materials I am using the Sybex 7th edition study guide, FedVTE, Skillsoft, and McGraw Hill (McGraw-Hill Education | CISSP Practice Exams). I would definitely use more than one source and take many practice tests. I have probably taken about 5 or 6 full length practice tests and about 3000 questions in total.

The cost is about $600.
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    With nearly 1000 pieces on Amazon there is plenty of material to purchase. I would likewise suggest going to the official ISC(2) page and familiarizing yourself with the requirements, for example: 5 years of paid security experience with the possibility of one year being waived for education, etc.

Please do your homework before coming across as another dollars signs in the eyes security newb. Are you really a mid level security analyst ready for this exam?

Really?

- b/eads
  • dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Based on the certs he has listed I 'assume' he has the required experience?
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    It does seem strange that someone with several security certs is asking such basic questions. It's not like CISSP is obscure.

Yes, you take it anytime with an available spot at a Pearson Vue center. Make sure you read this as it will most likely answer most of your questions.

In regards to resources, no one can answer if one book will be enough. This depends on your experience and knowledge of the domains. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable using a sole source for any test, but again, YMMV. Check the "Passed CISSP" threads so you can see what worked for others.

BTW, OP may want to fix his ISACA "Funamentalist" typo.
  • OmniManOmniMan Member Posts: 78 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I do have the experience. What's the process for verifying it/audit? Is it similar to the PMP?
  • mudflapsmudflaps Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    To verify your experience, you submit references, your resume, job history, etc. You will also need a current isc2 member to endorse you.
  • trueshrewkmctrueshrewkmc Member Posts: 107
    @mudflaps You don't need to have a current ISC2 member endorse you. There is an option on the online endorsement application to ask ISC2 itself to endorse you. If an ISC2 member endorses you, they have to check your job history. I think it's left to ISC2 to check the job history if you don't have an ISC2 member endorsement. That being said, you need rock solid contact information for employers in the job history part of the application. You also have to attach proof of employment. For a US Army job, I used my personnel review. For a job 11 years ago, ISC2 seemed willing to accept W2 forms.

@OmniMan Greetings, fellow Illini! I am a Lincoln, IL native. (Didn't go to high school there, but go Railsplitters!)