Options

Moving to States, is it worth getting more sec certs?

numberfivenumberfive Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey there.
Could you please share your opinions, say one is going to move to NY with 10+ years of experience in various security domains, few past years in managerial role and with CISM, CISA, ISO 22301, 27K certifications.
Do you think there will be any reason to obtain CISSP? Does it help to land better offer comparing to what I have right now?

It feels sort of waste of time to me, but I would gladly hear from you if I'm mistaken.

cheers

Comments

• Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Much like the CISSP and other certifications like it have predominately become the new "MBA" of the 1990s, in other words, a HR filter to pass. Do you have to have it? No. Does it help? Yeah, it helps. Many job descriptions I see list the CISSP and/or a masters as preferences not necessarily "must haves". If you have the experience to legitimately sit for the exam it doesn't hurt but I do see the market here in Chicago and elsewhere lightening up on the death grip of many certifications.

Less pressure is likely to be helpful for the reputation of the certification industry as in general as well.

Good luck with the move!

- b/eads
  • Options
    numberfivenumberfive Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thank you very much, interesting insights.