New to MCSE, looking for book recommendations

wakinyan23wakinyan23 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I am new to this forum, and had a question. Does anyone have a preference towards study guide material for the 4 core exams of the MCSE 2003? From everything I have read, it seems like the decision is between Sybex and MS Press. I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation between these two products. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott Page
The Eternal Student

Comments

• ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    for the MCSE/A 2000, MS Press and Sybex where the front runners. They are usually good bets, but as companies rush to get out study guides, there came be some lemons. If an exam is new, I lean towards the MS Press books.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • wakinyan23wakinyan23 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Appreciate the reply

Yeah, at this point, in looking at some of the other topics I am wondering if I shouldn't get the MCSE 2000, and then upgrade. I have some server experience with Netware 5.x, but not much with windows servers. Right now, in looking at the MS Press books, the information seems a bit dauting :P

Anyone have any advice? I read a previous topic, much like my own, but that person seems to have already started on the MCSE path, while I have yet to begin.

Thank You,
    Scott Page
    The Eternal Student
    Up until recently I was recommending 2000, but 2003 is so similiar that I would just start with 2003. By the time you finish the MCSE, 2003 will have been out for awhile.
    Andy

• wakinyan23wakinyan23 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ajs1976, again thanks for the prompt response,

Do know of an average time frame for achieving the MCSE 2003? I was going to give myself 6 months. Does that sound about right?

End of Line

Thanks,
    Scott Page
    The Eternal Student
    Every person is different. It depends on how much experience you have and how much time you can dedicate to studying. I'm really busy with work, school, and a new house, so it is taking me 3-4 months to get through an exam. Others who can study all day, are taking them every 2 weeks.
    Andy