Considering CASP

bamahonkybamahonky Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
Just a little background on me choosing CASP. Several months ago, I was looking at this cert but suddenly decided to go for my CEH. As of Thursday, I passed my CEH. I am kind of at a crossroads so to speak. My current position is tier 1 support with a good bit of focus on endpoint security. My CCNA R&S expires in March of 2017. Should I go ahead and knock out my CCNP Switch to extend my CCNA or just let it expire and focus on security certs? I am really wanting to go totally security. I am considering the pentesting field.

Comments

• stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Wouldn't getting CCNA Security renew your CCNA R&S? If so, that seems like the ideal path to take, since you mentioned staying in security.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241
    stryder144 wrote: »
    Wouldn't getting CCNA Security renew your CCNA R&S? If so, that seems like the ideal path to take, since you mentioned staying in security.

I agree with this. I don't know your background, bamahonkey, but unless you're in the government, the CASP is just a resume ornament. The CCNA-Security will look WAY better in the private sector. I think the CASP is a great step towards the CISSP, which is a premium certification for employers in the security field. I did the opposite approach from you; I went CASP and now I am working on my CEH. I am glad I did that because the CEH study material so far is relatively easy.
    Current: OSCP

Next: CCNP (R&S and Sec)

Follow my OSCP Thread!
  • trueshrewkmctrueshrewkmc Member Posts: 107
    I agree with Moldygr33nb3an.....CASP is more of a federal govt resume builder. I sat it to meet a federal contract job requirement. The port knowledge from C|EH is useful and so were attack types. Also had a federal contract job c. 1 year ago that required C|EH and Sec+.

My sequence: C|EH, Sec+ (to force a friend to choke it down), CASP, CISSP (to make use of knowledge crammed for CASP)
  • EnticlesEnticles Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
    how difficult is the C|EH certification? it sounds silly but the nerd in me loves that title :D

also, trueshrewkmc, which would you say is more difficult: CASP or C|EH?

apologies for hijacking the thread :)
  • No_NerdNo_Nerd Banned Posts: 168
    I took CASP then CISSP almost back to back with less than 30 days in between. CASP was good , but I agree that unless you work DOD , maybe CCNA Security would look better . But if you want to use CASP as a prep for CISSP that is always a good way to go.
  • trueshrewkmctrueshrewkmc Member Posts: 107
    @Enticles CASP was more difficult than C|EH. CASP is a lot broader in scope than C|EH. The nerd in you should want something more meaningful than C|EH. The C|EH forum is full of posts from self-loathing C|EHs.
    @Enticles Not sure why you have CSA+ and CASP on your roadmap. CASP is the premier CompTIA cert (it renews Sec+, A+, & maybe ?Network+) , so why spend time on CSA+?
    @No_Nerd ....and my favorite reason for following CASP with CISSP.....CISSP is worth all 75 continuing ed points for CASP.